To paint or not to paint, that is the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
SKIVVIES? I thought "Bucky's" last name was naked.

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

First one polished, installed and sealed today. i broke off four of the cheap arse Ace Hdwe SS screws in the aluminum while doing the fit and spent three extra hours punching them out with a drill press. These things snap like pretzels. I've got to find some better quality screws for the rest. Even the ones from West Marine did better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 57
OK, so as you can see, I decided to polish the whole thing, and I added some eighth inch 5052 aluminum plates to the doors to carry through the theme. With that completed, I'm now turning to the inside where after putting the old teak framing back up (fitted to the old windows), it's looking kind-of "industrial". I'm gonna need to scarf-in quite a bit of new wood to make up the difference in window sizes and I'm not that good in matching stain.

Attachments

• pilothouse rear window undone closeup.jpg
    pilothouse rear window undone closeup.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 54
  • pilothouse interior undone after windows.jpg
    pilothouse interior undone after windows.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 68
  • pilothouse with polished door panels.jpg
    pilothouse with polished door panels.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 56
Healhustler, your windows look great but what I am admiring and never seemed to notice before is your mast. I was comparing it to what can be seen pics of the mast of a Manatee that just came on the market in WI. Your mast and boom setup looks a lot better thought out than the WI Manatee.

Looking good! You going to be ready to go cruising when I get back down there in November?

Ted

Healhustler, your windows look great but what I am admiring and never seemed to notice before is your mast. I was comparing it to what can be seen pics of the mast of a Manatee that just came on the market in WI. Your mast and boom setup looks a lot better thought out than the WI Manatee.

Yeah, I saw that mast also. It looks as if the owner lifted the boom pivot point to be above the roof, but the mounting on the pilothouse wall looks still original. I sold my mast $ boom when I decided to clear the roof for nothing but solar, and the rearward lean was done to limit shading of the panels while still providing the 16.5 degree downscan ability for the radar. The mast is made from various pieces I found in marine salvage places except for the hinge. Cost was about $850 after all the welding. I'll probably add a gas cylinder or two for the Admiral. Weight is 65 lb. with electronics on it.

Great job on the Windows Larry. The aluminum boat next to us is an example of improper painting of aluminum, the owner is now trying to figure out how to get this mess removed.
I would go with the "Airstream" look.
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom