Packing gland drip rate and temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKS

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Change of Pace
Vessel Make
Mainship
Hello all,
Please indulge a repeat topic. I've read here about repacking and expectations. I am still looking for more information.
I re-packed with new flux and am not sure if my results are satisfactory.
I have NO dripping when shut down. When underway at 2000 rpm, which is about 1000 rpm on shaft, I see one drip every 10-15 seconds. The packing gland is about 165°. I am thinking I should have a greater drip rate and a lower temperature. I read once tightened too much you can not loosen and get good results and that a "re-do" is necessary.
PLEASE way in.
Thanks, Steve

I always was told 1 to 3 drips per minute, and the temp should be about 10-30 degrees warmer than the ambient water temp.
I have loosened packings in the past, let them soak up good then retightened with success.

I agree, your drip rate sounds ok, but the temp is high. Let it go for 4-5 hours and see what temps you get after it has bedded in. Wish you had used Gore packing. It lubricates the gland better and doesn't wear. Repack once and you are good for a lifetime.

David

Do you have a grease fitting? With no drips I have cold temps. Don’t be tempted to touch it while in gear, one small slip and you will be dead. Or you will wish you were.

Out of gear or engine shut off. Its not worth the risk.

Do you have a grease fitting? With no drips I have cold temps. Don’t be tempted to touch it while in gear, one small slip and you will be dead. Or you will wish you were.

Out of gear or engine shut off. Its not worth the risk.

Well, I must be dead many times over, as I regularly check my stuffing box the old fashioned way!
I also check the exhaust system, header tank, alternator, batteries, electronics, etc. I guess some of us are just more “hands on” than others.
BTW, my stuffing box is packed with Teflon packing and lots of silicone grease, and it normally runs very comfortably cool with no drips whatsoever under way or at rest.
My engine is solid mounted and the alignment is adjusted to within a gnats ass of perfect, I think this may contribute to the lack of problems and wear at the stuffing box.

Back
Top Bottom