Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
It's interesting that so far none, unless I missed them, of the miracle stories involve a boat.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I use the product I posted above. I wouldn't say it's a "miracle" but then I don't need a miracle.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I think they are like any product. You need a good one with a spec sheet so you can see the amount of ozone they emit. The one I bought recently is a commercial grade sized for 3500 sq ft. It's over kill for a 42' boat but with the timer I can run it 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. I always run it when I leave the boat and when I come back, usually the next day, I can smell ozone but I open the boat and air it out.

It's working for me. I'm not a scientist but I am totally 100% sold on them, especially a good one.

In my house I run three HEPA filters with ION generators and another single ION generator. It makes a difference.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
What about the issue with ozone attacking hoses and other rubber parts? I wouldn't use one for that reason alone. I don't want weakened raw water hoses coolant hoses, fuel hoses, exhaust hoses, fan belts, engine mounts, wire insulation, etc. on my boat.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What about the issue with ozone attacking hoses and other rubber parts? I wouldn't use one for that reason alone. I don't want weakened raw water hoses coolant hoses, fuel hoses, exhaust hoses, fan belts, engine mounts, wire insulation, etc. on my boat.
Thus the "issue"...I don't think anyone will argue that ozone is a strong sanitizer or odor modifier...pure chemistry...

It's that at the levels needed to do it well..it can have bad side effects.

If you manage the side effects... well have at it...hopefully premature death of some products won't happen.

For me...I see no need to take the health and maintenance risks.

I'm on my 3rd liveaboard...all used boats and even with girlfriends with bloodhound noses and respiratory diseases...none have mentioned a "permanent" smell...all without the use of ozone.

I have a holding tank, use non-sanitation hose, am currently ripping every square inch of teak paneling off as it's rotten about 1/2 way through all over and right though to the glass skin in places, always have water in the bilge from a variety of sources...etc...and no smell that mere mortals and a few super-noses can't live with.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Ozone is an oxidizing agent as is hydrogen peroxide.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I PERSONALLY have seen ozone completly kill off att the black mold and fungus in a crawlspace of a house due to a hot water leak..it was done over a period of a week and all mold was gone and so was the odor.. and three years later no mold.. no odor. I have used it on cars, at home, and on three boats with no issues to date. It will neutralize odor in all the fabrics thst hold smell in our boats. It is known to cause respatory issues so I do not breathe the stuff and vent the boat well after use. The sciece behind ozone is well understood and used right it works. Practically every hotel room you have ever stayed in has been treated at some point.

This is the unit I use most...

MaxBlaster Ozone Generator specifications and comparisons

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
One of the first times I ran my ozone generator, I didn't set the timer correctly and it ran continuously for a couple days. Some of the plastic/rubber surfaces in my boat had become "sticky". The situation was limited to a remote control, some electronics buttons and two Stidd chairs. I rubbed the chairs down with some kind of oil (olive oil as I recall) and they are fine. So are the electronics buttons, but the remote continues to be sticky. I wouldn't use it in my engine room, but since I don't have exposed wiring or hoses in the house, I don't worry about exposure to those items. I guess if my lap top or TV goes out I will have to rethink this.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #29

City: Western WA
PSS Shaft Seal

From the PYI website:

"Do not use an ozone generator (e.g., air cleaner) in or around your boat. The extra ozone will speed up the deterioration of any rubber product, including the PSS bellow."

SteveH
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

This is the unit I use most...

MaxBlaster Ozone Generator specifications and comparisons

Hollywood
And for those who use it for mold, notice one very careful working that Maxblaster to their credit uses. "mold-scent elimination" And that is just what it does. It eliminates the scent but it does not eliminate mold itself so if mold is your problem, you still must get to the source.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #31

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Are they any good? Lots of good claims and lots of the opposite. Stretch is an advocate. Psneeld not so. Should I buy one or rent one or what? My boat has "old boat" odours and rather than gutting her and starting all over inside, I had already decided to live with it. But only if I have to. Will ozone help? I know you have to move out while it does it's thing. I also know some of the generators are wimpy, some will rot your rubber hoses in a couple of days. Some are $120. And some are $8000.

Anyway, help!
I have a 'Bilge Buster' ozone gadget..... it doesn't work and made the sound panels in my engine room turn into mush...... The 4 foot diameter section directly above the ozone system felt wet. I even went as far as to pull the material down looking for a leak somewhere.

Come to find out, it was the 'bilge buster'. The Ozone deteriorates rubber.... the sound panels have rubber in them. I turned it off and won't be using it anymore. As far as I'm concerned, they don't work. I noticed 0 difference in smells before and after.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I have to say that I think anyone using one of these in a boat is nuts. I don't doubt their effectiveness at eliminating odors, mold, etc., but the side effects strike me as a potentially huge hazard (flooding, fuel leaks, etc.). Not necessarily immediately, but weakened systems that can fail anywhere along the line. And if not inviting of a hazard, risking significant repair expense for damaged parts. To me, it's just not worth the risks of the side effects.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Hudson Valley
Ozone Generators

I purchased a bilge buster a few years back after trying everything else, so I thought I'd share my experience, apologies in advance for the long post.

The previous owner hadn't been thorough about dealing with small leaks in port lights, windows, etc (all now repaired), and that, in combination with a fuel tank leak (also replaced) made for a mold/diesel/boat smell so powerful, that upon opening the boat after a week away, it would literally take your breath away. Furthermore, after only a few minutes aboard, clothing and skin would absorb this putrid smell and stay on you all day. First line of attack was cleaning from top to bottom as thoroughly as possible in an 80's vintage boat, and replacing soft goods within reason. It definitely helped but the smell was still fairly strong. After much research and going over the already discussed pros and cons, I went ahead and installed the bilge buster. For the most part, it was mounted in the salon and we left a small fan running to circulate throughout the boat. It took the better part of two seasons (we're in the northeast), but the smell is gone. I did notice that some rubber and plastic bits within close proximity (3-4') of the ozone generator deteriorated and I've had to replace a few things. Since the ER wasn't the main source of the smell, I didn't use it much in there and haven't seen any negative effects. Whenever I arrived at the boat after having it running, I would open the door, hold my breath, switch it off, quickly open the salon windows and leave. 30 min later, the smell of ozone was long gone.

Now that the problem is resolved, I don't use the ozone generator anymore. Just meticulous cleaning, leaving ports/windows/hatches open as much as possible and running a small dehumidifier when it's closed up.

Having said all that, if I had to do it again, if I could avoid an ozone generator, I most certainly would. But, the truth of the matter is that on any boat, there are literally thousands of spots that you cannot physically clean short of tearing the entire boat apart down to a bare hull (not realistic), and replacing every cushion, mattress, curtain, etc at the same time (also not realistic). I've heard there are some fogging enzymes out there that work, but haven't tried them (Pureayre). If anyone has any experience with those, I'd love to hear about it.
Rick. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And for those who use it for mold, notice one very careful working that Maxblaster to their credit uses. "mold-scent elimination" And that is just what it does. It eliminates the scent but it does not eliminate mold itself so if mold is your problem, you still must get to the source.
Wow...it either made me blind so I could not see the mold..or made it invisable..either way it was gone. As I stated...for me it has worked.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I've had very good luck using Pureayre products. Never tried the fogger though.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Hudson Valley
Thanks Capt Bill. Did you buy the marine or regular version?
Rick. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #37
Guru

For the non believers, don't buy one. You are right, they don't work and once you run one it will attack your lungs and all rubber surfaces in your boat and destroy them.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
For the non believers, don't buy one. You are right, they don't work and once you run one it will attack your lungs and all rubber surfaces in your boat and destroy them.
Thank you...that's exactly what I was trying to tell people with no experience with them....

you know...just in case someone thought they were an OK idea and posted it....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
Guru

Someone had to say it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #40
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
+1

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote