Old Rubber glue , removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
We all like to dream so Im wondering if anyone has a method to get rid of surfaces with decades old rubber cement?

Our current toy was built to be a "racer" (Sorry its not a "trawler" its a Benateau First 32) , but at LEAST IT CAME FROM EUROPE ON HER OWN BOTTOM.

The interior was sperayed with rubber cement and a naugahide type fabric was stuck on.

Light and bright no doubt , but a decade unattended behind FL digs with water to the floorboards , all the glue let go.

Sanding works but really slowly and a power wash is as slow, and doesn't help the rest of the interior..

Suggestions?

FF

Not Yet , but I will try with the brides hair unit on a small area.

You might need more than a hair dryer. A number of years ago my wife stripped all the old varnish from our boat's handrails and caprails, and she has done similar work on smaller pieces of the boat's trim, cabin sole sections, etc. A hair dryer doesn't generate anywhere near the necessary heat. She uses a Makita heat gun which even on low puts out far more heat than a hair dryer. It takes a heat setting of about halfway up the dial to get the proper heat for varnish removal, at least on this particular type of gun. So if the hair dryer doesn't have any effect on the rubber cement residue, you might want to try something that puts out more heat before giving up on the idea altogether.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of December 2009 02:10:48 PM

A heat gun worked well to remove contact cement from my hypalon dinghy when removing Weaver davit pads. Nothing else had worked at all well. A hair dryer doesn't have the hp you will need.

She uses a Makita heat gun which even on low puts out far more heat than a hair dryer.

No doubt , but the hair dryer will show if ITS A CONCEPT THAT WILL WORK.

If it works , Box store here I come, to get a FL heat gun , the other is in CT.

Hopefully!!

FF

Back
Top Bottom