OK Brainiacs - Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toluene

See photo.

We have a rod holder (and mop etc) on the boat deck. I noticed that it had separated and when I checked it there is a serrated bullet that holds the two pieces together. It had gone onto one side and the pieces came apart.

The only way to get the bullet back into place was to remove one end, silicon it to the holder part so it wouldn't move again, and replace the end.

I got the four bolts off which were well sealed in. But the fitting will not come off. I gave it a few hefty bangs with a rubber mallet with not an ounce of movement. It is well put on there, probably with 5200 or similar.

So choices. Get a screwdriver of other tool in behind the fitting and pry it off. pretty sure it will damage the fiberglass and make a mess. Or, and this is where I am leaning, simply put a broad hose clamp between the pieces. Downside is it will look unsightly.

So before I go any further, any one have other ideas?

I have seen xylene soften 3M 5200. Put a little on the 5200 at one edge of the fitting where the 5200 cements it to the surface on which the fitting is mounted. Then work a putty knife in as far as you can (which won't be very far). Then apply more xylene, working it into the slot or crack you have made with the putty knife. Keep at it, and the cemented piece will hopefully break free. I fear that xylene is not good for you, so keep the area well ventilated and wear gloves. Hope this works for you. I have also heard that other products for removing 5200 are Un-Hesive, Anti-Bond and Debonder (or something like that). I have also heard that 5200 softens with heat. And a good suggestion was to use a piece of thin wire as a cutting tool to get between a fitting and the surface it is stuck to, once the 5200 is softened or de-bonded. Good luck!

Last edited:
I tend to favor Firefly's solution, but perhaps use a short piece of slightly larger aluminum pipe to go over the gap between the two pieces.
Or, even a smaller diameter short length of aluminum pipe that would fit inside the two separated pieces.

If I could absolutely not remove the flange.

I see a drain hole on the right side. I would attempt to use something elastic through that hole (cut o-ring?) I'd drill a hole in the bullet. put the o-ring through the bullet and out the hole. Force the bullet back under tension until the pipes line up and let the o-ring tension pull the bullet into place.

Sounds silly but it has to work if the serrations line up and its a slip fit.

If there's another drain hole on the other end a long stiff wire might be enough to slide the bullet into place.

Back
Top Bottom