Oil Pressure Alarm does not work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T210DRVR

Vessel Name
Checkmate
Vessel Make
GB 42
I have Ford Lehman 120’s in my 42’ G.B.. When I turn the engine switch to the “on” position prior to start my starboard engine alarm fails to sound. The alarm on the port engine works fine. The problem just recently occurred. Any suggestions on diagnosing the system?

It appears that there are two sensors or switches attached to a tee which is fed from engine galley oil. Both units have zero resistance when the switch is off. When the switch is on the larger “sensor” reads 9 volts while the smaller “sensor” reads 1.5 volts. Thoughts?

Jim

Turn on the ignition. Go to the horn with your multimeter and start testing for voltage. Work your way backwards until you find the problem.

On that "T" one of the senders is for the gauge. The gauge sender is a variable resistor that varies depending on the oil pressure. Depending on the exact gauge the sender could go from say 10 ohms to as much as 280 ohms. The other will be a switch that is turned "on" by low or no oil pressure. With the engine not running, the alarm switch (which should be the smaller one, but I can't be positive) should read very low volts across it (no more than one or 2 tenths of a volt). If it is the alarm switch that is reading 1.5 volts, it has a problem. If you disconnect at least one of the two wires you can use the ohms function of your meter and it should read no more than 1-2 ohms. Be careful using the "Ohms" function on items which are connected elsewhere. Other items connected can cause false readings.

Ken

Last edited:
Here is the schematic of how it is supposed to be wired.
Not pretty, but it should help you.

Attachments

• FordLehmanEngineElectricSchematic.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom