Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Oil Change Pump

The previous owner of my boat installed oil change pumps for both generators, engines and transmissions. I changed generator and engine oils yesterday using five-gallon pails of oil. The cummins 330s take 15 quarts each.

My question is how do those of you with such a setup get the right amount of oil pumped back into the engine. Because the fresh oil is cold, it takes some time to pump back 15 quarts and the five gallon pails are not marked.

I have learned that I can shine a flashlight into the pail and watch the liquid level drop, but the pails being unmarked, I am still guessing. I have thought of measuring with a ruler the fluid level and devising some fluid level marks for quarts or gallons, but was thinking there might be an easier way that I have not thought of.

thanks in advance.
Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi, we always transparent oil box track where you can see the oil level, this track about full. when I am close, I think dipstic and I will continue to fill or remove to a suitable. 1cm I qsb Cummins 5.9 dipstic is about 1.5 liters of oil 0,4gal

Another way is the mathematical. measurements on the depth of the container volume and share it on the basis of the result you know how to embed deeply into the hose, the amount of oil you want to have this depth
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If I was going to do it that way, it might be easier to use a digital bathroom scale (under the bucket you're filling from). Once you know the weight of the oil required, it should be pretty easy to repeat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
My question is how do those of you with such a setup get the right amount of oil pumped back into the engine. Because the fresh oil is cold, it takes some time to pump back 15 quarts and the five gallon pails are not marked.

I have learned that I can shine a flashlight into the pail and watch the liquid level drop, but the pails being unmarked, I am still guessing. I have thought of measuring with a ruler the fluid level and devising some fluid level marks for quarts or gallons, but was thinking there might be an easier way that I have not thought of.

I've marked 1-gallon (equal parts) levels on a 5-gallon pail, works OK assuming you can see at least a little of the level as it decreases. Sometimes I can see my oil level versus marks better from the inside, by looking down through the fill hole during the process.

But more often, these days, I've been using 2½-gallon jugs for the bulk of our new oil. Not very much more expensive, and just easier to hump around. When using those, one 2½-gallon jug, one 1-gallon jug, and an almost-full filter comes pretty close, for us. Final level-off with (portions of) 1-qt bottles if necessary.

I've usually been able to start with new oil that's at least at room temps... so it doesn't usually take all that long...

-Chris
Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I'm thinking even though over full first 0.5-1 gal does not violate any engine, of course, it will have to drive back to the time you check dipstic because it can not be Ylli mark. I also always met the oil filter before it is screwed into place.

What are your thoughts about this way of more experienced?
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Pumping cold oil into and engine with a OC pump is brutal. Hard on the pump and slow as heck. If doing this in the winter, leave the pails in your house and let them warm up.

Don't worry too much about getting the level right the first time. If engine takes 15qts, pump in three gal and crank it up to fill all the galleries coolers and filters. Then shut down and pump in the rest til in range on stick. It won't hurt the engine to start and idle with 2/3 sump load. Just see that pressure builds after start.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
This isn't complicated just use the dip sticks.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Tony Athens wrote a helpful article on his website. At least it was helpful to me when I bought my boat last year. http://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pa...arine-engines/

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Yep...your engines should take 13 quarts....ref the article above. I have the same engines.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

But more often, these days, I've been using 2½-gallon jugs for the bulk of our new oil. Not very much more expensive, and just easier to hump around. When using those, one 2½-gallon jug, one 1-gallon jug, and an almost-full filter comes pretty close, for us. Final level-off with (portions of) 1-qt bottles if necessary.
That's how I do it too...2 jugs + a quart, with dipstick verification...
Old 01-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
That's how I do it too...2 jugs + a quart, with dipstick verification...
Something that I hadn't thought of until last year reading that article by Tony was to verify the dipstick first. Once you have verified that the dipstick is marked accurately, then you can use it to verify your oil levels.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 01-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Northport
Similar to others here I first remraked the dispsticks for both a ''full'' and ''one qt low'' correct marks.
When removing old oil with the pump the main oil each goes into a premarked (full change) 5 gallon pail so I can easily see that it alll came out with the pump.
I have one pail marked again higher as I add the genset oil to that one after the main.
Knowing that the correct amount is on the stick and the correct amount came out the add is done by full gallons with the one fractional gallon marked as well.
Filling is always done through the top of the engine not with the pump.

While I alwys use gallons to fill the engines themselves over time I have purchased the oil in gallons, 5 gallons, and 32 gallon barrels dependent upon what was easiest and cheapest at the time.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
While I alwys use gallons to fill the engines themselves over time I have purchased the oil in gallons, 5 gallons, and 32 gallon barrels dependent upon what was easiest and cheapest at the time.
There is no way that my old and weak body would consider a 32 gallon barrel easy or convenient. I'm a wimp.

I like the 2.5 gallon containers. Easy to carry. I will usually also buy one gallon containers and use those to fill the rest after the 2.5 gallon is added and use that for topping off oil if needed. However, in the short time I have owned this boat, I have never needed to add oil.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 01-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
Guru

City: Northport
"There is no way that my old and weak body would consider a 32 gallon barrel easy or convenient. I'm a wimp."

Hello Dave,
FWIW - my local lube guy here delivers the barrel to a designated spot at the back of my home for me. As long as I do not need it for a few days they just fit it into their delivery schedule. Similar to when I get a large order of batteries or fuel oil they will deliver no charge as long as it is not a rush. In my case I was always using the Rotella 15- 40 in the boats mains , genset and in my two pick-ups so it added up fairly quickly.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Guru

That makes way too much sense. :-)

Dave
SPOT page