Nylon? Door slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gulfstar 36

Vessel Name
Sundowner
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Anyone know where I can fine this material for the bottom slide for my door? It is quite old and thin and has broken.

Attachments

• IMAG1748.jpg
    IMAG1748.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 130
It's not very clear what I am seeing. is it a strip of plastic that the door slides on? I did something very similar to my sliding doors on my Californian. I say 'sliding doors' but in truth they were extremely difficult to slide. I used 3/16 thick UHMW. UHMW is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. It is very similar but cheaper than teflon. On the bottom of the door I used a strip of .024 thick stainless. I bought everything from McMaster-Carr The UHMW I bought was 12" x24' (other sizes available). I ripped into 1 1/8" strips on my table saw. To mount it I drilled and countersunk holes for stainless flat head screws. Hope that helps. I'm currently working on refinishing the doors, so could take a picture or two tomorrow night. My sticky doors slide like they are on bearings now.

Anyone know where I can fine this material for the bottom slide for my door? It is quite old and thin and has broken.
I may be way off base here but I thought that Pineapple Girl and her husband went through this fix not long ago.

Teflon, at mscdirect or McMasterCarr.

Available in strips of what ever thickness you think you need, and what ever width you want.

There are better ways to fix sliding doors though.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks! In the photo you can see the white material that is laid in the grove the door slides in. It appears to be held in with a mild adhesive. Part of it as you can see has broken off. It seems to be of milled nylon plastic but I have no idea on where to buy this.

It's not very clear what I am seeing. is it a strip of plastic that the door slides on? I did something very similar to my sliding doors on my Californian. I say 'sliding doors' but in truth they were extremely difficult to slide. I used 3/16 thick UHMW. UHMW is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. It is very similar but cheaper than teflon. On the bottom of the door I used a strip of .024 thick stainless. I bought everything from McMaster-Carr The UHMW I bought was 12" x24' (other sizes available). I ripped into 1 1/8" strips on my table saw. To mount it I drilled and countersunk holes for stainless flat head screws. Hope that helps. I'm currently working on refinishing the doors, so could take a picture or two tomorrow night. My sticky doors slide like they are on bearings now.

Yes, I used a UHMW strip given to me by Pineapple Girl. After securing it with adhesive, the first door slide almost launched the door overboard! I find an occasional coating of light lubricant like WD-40 keeps it sliding like new. Unfortunately, I don't know the source for the product - just the results!

Thanks! I've got some in the garage. I'll give it a try next.

My GS has a stainless steel strip in that channel, the door slides nicely on it. There is a 90 degree bend in the aft end with a hole in it where it is screwed to the frame.

Good for canopy zips as well, for same reason.

UHMW is the most common used. We use UHMW on our products thast we wnat to slip easily. Nothing sticks to it so it has to be screwed down.

UHMW is the most common used. We use UHMW on our products thast we wnat to slip easily. Nothing sticks to it so it has to be screwed down.

I found UHMW at a plastics supply warehouse. In northern climes it's used on snowmobile skid surfaces. Also commonly used for conveyor systems. Had a long strip cut to the exact cross section dimensions and did both the side and rear doors at the same time. Counter sink the screw holes. Slick.

Another thing that may work is Japanese Glide Tape. I think it is used for the traditional sliding doors in Japanese homes. We used it on the companionway slides on our sailboat. Annapolis Performance Sailing was the source we used: http://www.apsltd.com/c-4492-japanese-glide-tape.aspx It comes in a roll, already has adhesive on it, and could be cut down to the right width. Heed the advice about how easily the door will open/close once you fix it. Our companionway hatch used to really bind, but now opens with just a little push. As for lubricant, we use McLube Sailkote dry lubricant for the sliding doors and windows on the Tug. It works wonders for about six months and doesn't leave a film like traditional silicone. I haven't tried the dry silicone mentioned above. Good luck!

My hatch slides on a cut down fiberglass sail batten, installed by the PO. Hatch rides on a SS angle wrapped around each bottom edge. A little lube now and then, and it works great. K.I.S.S.

I got the UHMW tape from Ridout plastic in San Diego (online) over two years ago. I have never added any additional lube and the doors slide great. I got a .060" x 1" x 25' roll and shared the left overs with Al and Eric B.

Thanks I might give that a look.

I got the UHMW tape from Ridout plastic in San Diego (online) over two years ago. I have never added any additional lube and the doors slide great. I got a .060" x 1" x 25' roll and shared the left overs with Al and Eric B.

Gulfstar:

Most white plastic breadboards are of suitable material for your slides. I have used that stuff in lots of places. I won't call it UHMW, but I haven't been able to tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom