Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
New Canvas

Spent a month on the boat and did a little canvas upgrade. I had a few local canvas shops quote out the job and was not surprised as the prices, 11K to 14 K. the big problem was when they could get to it. Late November and December or later.
So, I decided to do the job myself. I had done canvas work up on Whidbey Island many years ago while in the Navy. It was a great experiance and like riding a bike, you kind of get back into it fairly quickly.

I bought a new Sailrite LZ1 from sailrite and a few attachments, had it shipped to my home here in Las Vegas. Contacted Vaugh bros. in Portland to negotiate pricing and headed North to start work on the Canvas along with other projects.
This is the machine.
Attached Thumbnails
20150717_095805.jpg  
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Guru

I made arrangements with the Harbor Master at our Marina to use the community Patio that is on the docks. Not the best facility to do a major sewing project but a heck of alot better than working in the sun all day, plus they had several large patio tables to make a usable space to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
20150810_041513.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Guru

The old Canvas was over 10 years old and had many repairs. It was also dried up, moldy and pretty worn out. I wanted to make some design changes but had alot of canvas work to do. Picked up the material from my vendor and started the work. 55 yards of Capt Blue Sumbrella, 15 yards of reinforcement material, Snap setter tool, thread and much more. First project was the Bimini.
Attached Thumbnails
20150820_025119.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Guru

I finished the bimini and here you can see the difference between the new and old. Big improvement, and all the neighbors thought so too! So now to the Cockpit cover and seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
New Bimini.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Guru

This is the cockpit panel and seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
20150809_011120.jpg   20150809_003107.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Guru

I wanted to finish off the FlyBridge area and the next job was the Dingy Cover.
The previous cover wasent very well designed and it needed some improvements. Because the dingy has a stainless arch over the motor I wanted to have a better fitting cover. Also the previous owner liked to attach the winch line to the dingy. This required a long zipper and a hole for the line to enter the cover. The thing leaked pretty bad so I decided to bypass that.
Here is how it turned out. This cover took me 3 days and alot of cold refreshing adult beverages.
Attached Thumbnails
20150809_011146.jpg   20150809_003023.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Guru

So now I had to decide. work on all the small covers or tackle the aft enclosure. I knew I had another couple of weeks to work on this project, by my other projects were not getting done. So I took a few days to work on those, before tackling the aft enclosure. I had some help from my brother who lives just over the bridge in Vancouver. He still works, where as Im retired, so any day that he has off which is only on Mondays he comes down to the boat and drinks my beer. Was he in for a surprise this trip. I put him to work, and we got a pretty good chunk of the layout done. Several beers and a few days later and it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
20150810_051735.jpg   20150818_041124.jpg   20150816_235123.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Guru

And the finished Aft Enclosure. Also got most of the Cap rails covers done. Back up next month to finish the one remaining cap rail cover, hatch covers, winch covers and Port and Starboard sign covers. Might even have enough material left to make a couple nice bags to put all the covers in for storing.
Attached Thumbnails
20150822_053421.jpg   20150821_015708.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Very impressive, I always admire folks with skills!
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Thanks for posting that. Great job. I only wish that I had the skills to do something like that! My canvas is going to require replacement within the next couple or so years, and I have been dreading laying out all that money. Am mulling over whether or not to just have a hard top installed.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Nice!

What is funny about it is that or what good canvas people charge for doing these jobs, you could screw it up 5-10 times and still be under their quote (assuming you consider your labor free) We did our own FB surround 3 years ago... It was an okay job, but materials were less that $1100 and the lowest quote we got for the job was $6500. We were going to do it again, but now we have a different boat. That, you guessed it, needs a surround :-)
Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
Guru

Thank You Sir!

Back in the day, it was a great part time job. We operated out of a 40 foot bus and traveled to the jobs. Every Summer, would take 20-30 off from the Navy and travel the San Juan Islands. Made more money during that time than I did the entire year in the Navy.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Nice!

What is funny about it is that or what good canvas people charge for doing these jobs, you could screw it up 5-10 times and still be under their quote (assuming you consider your labor free) We did our own FB surround 3 years ago... It was an okay job, but materials were less that $1100 and the lowest quote we got for the job was $6500. We were going to do it again, but now we have a different boat. That, you guessed it, needs a surround :-)
Thanks!
I'm into this project right at $3,400 including the machine. Think I'm gonna keep the machine as almost everyone asked if I could repair a " Small Tear" for them. Might just keep the cooler stocked, or a couple bottles of my favorite beverage.
Actually, most people can do the work with a little practice and lots of patience. Believe me, I made a few Boo Boos on this project.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Nice work!

How many hours did it take you?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Nice work!

How many hours did it take you?
I didn't keep track, but close to 100 hours total, and that's including the numerous beer breaks.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Thanks!
I'm into this project right at $3,400 including the machine. Think I'm gonna keep the machine as almost everyone asked if I could repair a " Small Tear" for them. Might just keep the cooler stocked, or a couple bottles of my favorite beverage.
Actually, most people can do the work with a little practice and lots of patience. Believe me, I made a few Boo Boos on this project.
Notable information... You forgot to mention that the cost of the new Sailrite LZ1 sewing machine is $900 (not including any attachments you may have purchased). Meaning you only spent just over $2000 in material. A bargain compared to the bids you received. I'd say absolutely yes, keep the machine and earn a bit of beer money. Sounds like a solid plan to me!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Looks fantastic. Say, I've got a couple of small tears over here. Would you mind taking a look?
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Very nice work . I have the same machine but have only used it a couple times . I'm a woodworker and sewing has been intimidating to say the least . Thanks for posting . Did you have any former training or are you self taught ?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Very nice work . I have the same machine but have only used it a couple times . I'm a woodworker and sewing has intimidating to say the least . Thanks for posting . Did you have any former training or are you self taught ?
Thanks for the kind words. I was taught by the Navy and spent 3 years doing Canvas up on Whidbey Island, Wa.
I suppose sewing is a little intimidating, but really, the sewing part is just a part of the process. If you can figure out the process, IE laying out the job, and figuring out what the next step is, just about anyone can do it. Get one or two steps ahead of yourself and you get frustrated. I still do it the old school way, I use the fabric to make the template. Now a days, the newer breed use paper to make the templates. Seems like an additional step but it works for them.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I'm impressed..looks like you have done that before!
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote