New Project Needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dswizzler

Vessel Name
Delta Swizzler
Vessel Make
1988 58' Vantare
Ok, looking for some suggestions in mounting a new admiral's chair on the Flybridge. Standard round 6 bolt pattern, but I do not have access below to back plate the chair, I suspect opening the ceiling in the pilothouse would introduce a much bigger project.

Sure you guys have had some good results doing this before, so looking for the best idea.

Thanks, in advance

Mark

pour an epoxy base plate with studs sticking up to fit the mounting plate of the chair.

any idea how I'd move this from power plant to general maintenance ?

I moved my "Admiral's chair from a 12x12 pf 3" mahogany that was in turn screwed to the deck from above (only) and found no tearing of the glass where the screws went in. I needed to put the base much closer to the moulded seats than this method would allow, so I used a four point base plate with only 4 holes, at the corners, so about 4 or maybe 4.5 inches apart. I used lag screws and have had no issues with the installation. I made that modification 10 to 15 years ago.

Another idea

I had a stripped screw holding the top portion of the ladder going down to my swim platform. I had hoped to fill the hole with some thickened West System, but found there was no "bottom" to hold the mix. The solution I came up with was to drill the hole out larger, tape off the surrounding areas and then sprayed foam insulation into the hole (it came from WM, but I don't think it matters). After it dried I used a carbide die grinder bit on my drill to "hollow out" the area beneath the hole. Vacuumed out the crumbs, injected with thickened West and drilled a pilot hole after it dried. Has worked great to date. Might work for your project??

Garelick manufactures pedestal chairs and has a couple of ways to mount them when you don't have access to the back. Take a look at their 75057, and their Toggler brand stainless toggle bolts.
Here is a link to the page that shows both products.

Garelick Eez-In

Mark,

I just had inspection plates installed in my fuel tanks. They used a system that involved a folding ring similar to the 75057 that Hopcar suggests.

img_179235_0_3e7dca0b6930681dbdd59f14fa52f399.jpg

75057.jpg

If you can use a holesaw to cut a hole large enough for the hardware but smaller than the seat base, you can fit the reinforcement rings in there to support the seat.

I'd put the nuts on teh bottom and the bolts in from the top. You might find it helpful to epoxy the nuts into place on the reinforcement plate before inserting it into the hole. Use bolts that are long enough to allow your hand to get in there until they grab the nuts, then tighten it down and .....Bob's your uncle!

With the lure of a couple beers, I'll come by and supervise.

My guess would be the thickness of most deck house tops is not sufficient to take the base loading when the boat moves.

The easy solution would be a thick enough piece of material like ply 1 or 1 1/2 inch or so that is glued down to take the load.

Bolt to the ply , then install.No holes in cabin top.

Probably a 2 ft square of material , with epoxy , cured 5200 or one of the new structural adhesives if you chose a metal plate instead.

The leverage of a 250 lb sitting guest on the base when you poke into a wave and stop dead is huge!

If you cannot get under the deck bolt the existing base to a large (18-24") circular 1/4" piece of aluminum, then screw the aluminum to the existing deck. Be sure to bed it in something that you can remove, but which will keep moisture out of the aluminum to deck joint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom