Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Dawn Marie
Vessel Model: 84 35' CHB Trawler
New Paint

I have a 35' CHB Trawler and it needs to be repainted. It looks good at a distance but a lot of little things add up to a complete paint job. I'm looking for advice and tips on a paint job. First costs. I have 2 quotes and the lowest is $16,700. Sounds high to me, comments? Any recommendations or tips on what to watch for, what type of paints work best, etc. Thanks.
CHB RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
I assume you are talking about painting the topsides?

Check out some info in the archives on the subject.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I've heard $100 per foot for a decent paint job...

Mine was about $3 a foot with roll and tip on the cabin...maybe aother $3/foot for the hull topsides.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Guru

A few years back a couple were rolling and tipping a 34 Defevre in the storage building. I got to know them as they kept glaring at me when I swept up around my boat. The final product was difficult to distinguish from a spray job. Of course, prep was the key. But they did that job for a few thousand dollars and about a week of effort. Trying to locate their card as I wrote down the name of the paint. Just a thought...
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
On this coast, there are a couple of guys who have perfected the tip and roll technique. OK, maybe it is not as good as a 16K spray job, but I find it very difficult to see the difference, and my boat is simply not that perfect. Neither am I.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Roll/tip also saves the work of masking of areas of your boat not being painted. And protecting nearby boats.
I understand there is a need to fill and sand gelcoat because microscopic holes otherwise mar the finish. That adds to painting cost first time.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB RON View Post
It looks good at a distance but a lot of little things add up to a complete paint job.
The above sentence can describe my boat too Ron. I have 47 year old gelcoat that has spent it's life under a covered berth in fresh water, it's in decent overall shape but up close you can see the flaws.

I've talked with several folks at my marina about it and the bottom line is at what range do you want it to look good at? Now if I had to stand 40+ feet away for it to look good I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Currently though from 10 feet away my boat looks fine and ultimately that is good enough for me.

I'm willing to bet that a fresh coat of topside paint is something half the boats on the forum would look better with. We all have to decide at some point if it's worth the cost.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
FF
Guru

However you paint it be sure to use only a paint that can be touched up,

if you are going to go cruising.

Tip & Roll Intl Toplac , as easy as it gets with a good varnish brush to tip.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We had Hobo painted this last winter. The job was bigger than we could do so we contacted it out.

When we started looking at contactors, we looked at referrals/local reputations/how long in business, etc. first, then price and then what paint they were using. All the contactors were using name brand 2 part polyurethane. We removed and reinstalled all the hardware including the window frames to lower cost. In the end, we got a great paint job, at good price with a terrible schedule, but I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad.
Attached Thumbnails
006 (8).jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Dawn Marie
Vessel Model: 84 35' CHB Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I've heard $100 per foot for a decent paint job...

Mine was about $3 a foot with roll and tip on the cabin...maybe aother $3/foot for the hull topsides.
What is roll and tip? It's a new term to me.
CHB RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Guru

Apply the product with a roller and feather it out on the surface (tip) with a very fine bristle brush...some recommend badger hair. Google Sterling paint for some excellent how to "tips" (there are other paint brands with similar do-it-yourself guidelines.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Guru

I just smooth with a cheap foam brush..once you get the hang of it it works the same...have to keep it pretty dry though...all it's doing is smoothing the roller marks and getting rid of any bubbles.

Maybe if I was better... a better brush may be the ticket...but I don't really see a diff.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Apply the product with a roller and feather it out on the surface (tip) with a very fine bristle brush...some recommend badger hair. Google Sterling paint for some excellent how to "tips" (there are other paint brands with similar do-it-yourself guidelines.
Usually a 2 person job, one rolling, one tipping. The rolled paint can be brushed before it starts to dry, no swapping roller for brush and v.v., someone to talk to while watching paint dry....
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Guru

I do it all the time myself...again it may not be $100/foot paint job...the trick is keep the paint thin and a wet edge so you have to plan where the natural break is around windows, etc where it may be harder to keep a wet edge.

yesterday with the temps and wind...I was rolling about a 2 sq ft area before tipping with Brightside paint.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If the DIY route interests you Ron http://boatbuildercentral.com/index.php#.UkZCIpm9K0c is a good resource for information. They have a series of YouTube videos describing the process in detail.

Application looks straightforward enough but time constraints would leave me out of the loop. Prep is time consuming too and should not be overlooked. It's a great way to go for those with the time available.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I roll and tip using the white 6" round end foam rollers, I use a second dry roller to "tip" big areas and keep a foam 3" brush handy to tip in tight areas. It does work better to do it as a two person team... but I did do Volunteer (48') by my self a few times... and it always came out ok. Using brightside you need to slow it down with brushing thinner for smooth results.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB RON View Post
I have a 35' CHB Trawler and it needs to be repainted. It looks good at a distance but a lot of little things add up to a complete paint job. I'm looking for advice and tips on a paint job. First costs. I have 2 quotes and the lowest is $16,700. Sounds high to me, comments? Any recommendations or tips on what to watch for, what type of paints work best, etc. Thanks.
Ron, all the advice below is good. However, mindful of time, and my limited skills, I compromised in the end, as I wanted to maintain max looks and resale value, so I had a professional 2 pack job done on the hull only, up to gun'ls, for $8000, (they quoted about $15,000 for full job, topsides & hull). I then prep'd and painted the topsides myself, by which I mean gun'ls, decks and superstructure, by brush, with Toplac, and it all looks terrific.
Not sure about in the US, but downunder, the International (Interlux to you) Toplac is better than Brightside by far, in fact has replaced it.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
Ended up doing paint myself this summer and hired help on paint day. Six weeks of prep, one week of paint and one week of reassembly. One part Interlux topside for the house, two part epoxy Devoe (Ameron) for the deck and hull. Standard copolymer ablative bottom paint.

Quotes of $15K are in the range I would expect.

If I could afford it, I would have had someone else do it, but the way it worked out, probably only cost a third of a contracted job or less. I did a bunch of welding too, so I haven't separated those costs. Just the paint itself cost around $2000 for top to bottom. Needed special roller covers that would not melt and had perfect weather which really helps.

As said before, its the prep. Then pick a few days and paint it with help. I had absolutely awesome results that looked sprayed on.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20130928_011254.jpg   ForumRunner_20130928_011334.jpg  
AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ron, all the advice below is good. However, mindful of time, and my limited skills, I compromised in the end, as I wanted to maintain max looks and resale value, so I had a professional 2 pack job done on the hull only, up to gun'ls, for $8000, (they quoted about $15,000 for full job, topsides & hull). I then prep'd and painted the topsides myself, by which I mean gun'ls, decks and superstructure, by brush, with Toplac, and it all looks terrific.
Not sure about in the US, but downunder, the International (Interlux to you) Toplac is better than Brightside by far, in fact has replaced it.
Toplac is still listed by some retailers...but not on the Interlux US site anymore that I can see....sounds like they reformulated Brightside with something even better than the silicone base (now it's a flouro based miracle I suppose) and dumped Toplac.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #20

City: Courtenay BC ,canada
Hi folks, It's haul out time and lots to be done. I'm thinking of painting from the waterline up to the decks with epoxy paint. At present there is Interlux brightsides on the wood hull. As far as I can tell, the consensus is I'll have to strip off the old paint, then prime and re-paint. Any comments or feedback for me?
driller66 is offline   Reply With Quote