Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 66. At some point, and it may not be this haul, you will be stripping all the old finish and re-coating. Give some thought as to what finish you'll have to strip. Brightside or epoxy? If you're doing this yourself and I don't envy you, will you be giving yourself unnecessary grief if you use epoxy which may be a bear to remove?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Driller 66

My limited knowledge says be carefull. Epoxy paints have their place but often it is not where eposure to the sun's uv cannot be avoided. Epoxy paint base with a coating on top such as urethane may work. Polyurethane paints are what Brightsides, Awlgrip, Imron are made of. Brightsides is a one part, the others are usually 2 parts.

People confuse the types which can be trouble if you really do get the wrong one for the application.
Talk to your paint supplier and be sure.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB RON View Post
I have a 35' CHB Trawler and it needs to be repainted. It looks good at a distance but a lot of little things add up to a complete paint job. I'm looking for advice and tips on a paint job. First costs. I have 2 quotes and the lowest is $16,700. Sounds high to me, comments? Any recommendations or tips on what to watch for, what type of paints work best, etc. Thanks.
We have just done a partial re-paint job on our boat.

2 part International Perfection over an unknown 1 part. (yes it can be done without any problems)

I blogged about it, more because of the late decision color change we made, than the technicalities of how to paint.

The 'Prawn Cracker' - Marine Trader Trawler yacht: The all important colour scheme!

This was only about a 3rd of the hull, but it literally cost only my time and materials. i/e. a couple of hundred bucks. And a couple of days for a friend of mine who is a dab hand at rolling and tipping.

As everyone has mentioned, it is all about the prep work. Every imperfection will stand out like dogs nuts when the high gloss is applied.

Roll and tip v's spray - there is no question it is a better finish. But to be honest, not by much, and some may argue that you actually get a thicker application when rolled and tipped.

Anyway, loads of advice on here from everyone, but if you want anything specific from me, happy to help.

Cheers,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_090334.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25775  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Tony:

It looks great. I especially applaud your decision to change the colour. That is often the hardest part, as it draws critical attention to the fact of the new paint job.

As for the finish, is it good enough to be applied to the house, where the eye is brought to within a few inches of the surface regularly and frequently? I have a couple of places where I have repainted that wouldn't pass that level of scrutiny, so I have been reluctant to do the rest of the house, especially when I have found that I can get a surface that I am almost happy with just by cleaning and waxing.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
As for the finish, is it good enough to be applied to the house, where the eye is brought to within a few inches of the surface regularly and frequently?
The finish is near perfect, not quite a spray finish, but very close.

It comes down to a few factors.

Surface prep - the smoother it is the better the finish.

Quality of paint - Awlgrip is with out a doubt the best. International perfection is a close second, but at half the price you cannot expect the same finish as awlgrip, although IMHO it is pretty close. Durability is pretty close also.

Tools and equipment - you need quality rollers, brushes, tack cloths, mixing pots, masking tape, fine line tape, etc

Skills - I am pretty good with a roller and brush, but I had my mate do the painting for me purely because he is better.

The right day - the temp needs to be right for the paint you are using. Too hot and it will not flow out to hide the brush strokes, too cold and it will dull off before it dries.

That's about it really.

But if you have gel coat that will still take a polish, go for that!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Awlgrip is with out a doubt the best

Most folks do not have the protective suit and air breathing equippment to do Imeron or Awlgrip.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I used Awlgrip on a 18' sea kayak 15 years ago. It was a two part paint with an additionaly reducer that you add for thinning. I hand painted the kayak and the paint leveled like it was sprayed. It results in a very hard finish and is almost as pretty today as it was when I painted it.
To FFs point on protection. I wore an organic respirator that blocked all the bad stuff. When I pulled the respirator off in the garage where I was painting it only took a minute or so before the vapors started screwing with my head.

I used Brightsides on another kayak. Its good but not as hard as Awlgrip.

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote