New(to me) boat question ref mattress.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
First off, I am back in the game. I ended up buying a Cummins powered Carver 356. You may be hearing from me a lot more now as a new boat owner and problems need to be solved. Thank you in advance....:)

Now...the interior of the boat is dirty but should clean up just fine. It is as if somebody had a frat party on it three years ago and never cleaned up. I have thrown EVERYTHING away. I am already going to spend heaps of money reviving the running gear. I was pretty convinced I was going to throw away the mattress in the master until I checked the price on new ones!!!! The mattress actually looks brand new but it just gives me the heebie jeebies considering the condition of the rest of the boat.

What would be a good way to clean the mattress so that I could sleep well at night???...and save money better spent on other required equip? A forum member has already offered his industrial strength ozone machine and I will take him up on that. Any other suggestions?

Why not have it dry cleaned?

We've sent our couch out before. Three boys, don't ask.

Baker...We have seen pics' of your parties! Just put a mattress topper on it and call it a day.

:thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm: :eek:

Dry clean a mattress...if they can do that, that would be a great idea!!!!

Baker...We have seen pics' of your parties! Just put a mattress topper on it and call it a day.

+1

Rug doctor to get rid of the dirt, voodoo doctor to get rid of the evil things the mattress has seen and endured, and a new mattress topper- done.

OR- get used to wearing a decon suit to bed.......

Call the bed bug people and let them cook it. Pictures of the boat?

Call the bed bug people and let them cook it. Pictures of the boat?

Don't have many yet so tho will have to do.

image-722671178.jpg

Here is a profile pic of a sister ship. Mine just has tan canvas. It is a BIG 35ft boat.

image-4015795670.jpg

Here is a profile pic of a sister ship. Mine just has tan canvas. It is a BIG 35ft boat.

View attachment 19911

Baker - I'm sure you will fall right in (love) with this boat! Do tell:

Engines / Genset / Head and Galley equip / Tender - - Etc!! :popcorn:

You can also use the same type of enzyme treatment they use for dogs/cats called natures miracle and then as everyone says mattress topper. Great price from Costco and they really are very nice!

Baker - I'm sure you will fall right in (love) with this boat! Do tell:

Engines / Genset / Head and Galley equip / Tender - - Etc!! :popcorn:

Cummins 330Bx2/2 heads both vacuflush. Galley has 3 burner Princess elec. Norcold fridge needs to be replaced. Two 16 btu ACs....should be plenty of air conditioning power. The rear one was not working but just had a guy service it and said the leak detector could not detect any leaks...charged it and said it was cooling fine. We shall see. Still skeptical on that. I was budgeting on replacing but if I can save $2k there I will be happy. Kohler 8kw generator. All engines have less than 400 hours on them.

I can't wait to get this thing all squared away so I can enjoy it!!!!

Cummins 330Bx2/2 heads both vacuflush. Galley has 3 burner Princess elec. Norcold fridge needs to be replaced. Two 16 btu ACs....should be plenty of air conditioning power. The rear one was not working but just had a guy service it and said the leak detector could not detect any leaks...charged it and said it was cooling fine. We shall see. Still skeptical on that. I was budgeting on replacing but if I can save $2k there I will be happy. Kohler 8kw generator. All engines have less than 400 hours on them.

I can't wait to get this thing all squared away so I can enjoy it!!!!

Sounds Great... Less than 400 hrs... :thumb:

Hell, you gots uself a NEW Boat! Congrats!! :D

Looks good John. I can envisage you doing a real yee haa when you first get her up on the plane....
Great layout those boats. That sun deck should be a really good place to hang out at anchor.

After a good cleaning, why not just use one of those mattress bags they sell for college dorms and such. They're supposed to be bug-proof so if there was anything left in there after 3 years it wouldn't be able to get out. We bought a new mattress and they require that you buy one of those to get the full warranty. Apparently it also protects the mattress from spills and keeps it from filling up with dust and lint and whatever else our bodies shed.

Nice boat, btw!

Tanks for all of the ideas. Trust me, I will use every possible thing y'all throw out at me. I will look into the mattress sanitizing services in our area. Sounds exactly what I am looking for. This will be the cleanest MFing mattress on Earth!!!!

Congrats on the new boat! Agree with others have already said - professional cleaning and a cover. Our boat was also a mess inside, but that was one reason we got a great deal. A few days with some Murphys Oil Soap and a little green machine, and now she is like new. By the way, we have one of those carvers at our marina (gas, not diesel). Be careful the first time you have her out in the wind - all that superstructure adds up to more square footage than the sails on our sailboat!

Heck... Throw her in the water and use as a play toy flotation device for a couple hours, then hang in sun till dry - that should clean off the semen and kill da bugs! Only funnen! :facepalm: :hide:

We also have one of those Costco mattress toppers and love the thing so much we bought another one for the boat.

Looks great John.

Big change as I see it's not much like you're Mainship.

More space the motivator?

I'll really be interested in seeing what your coolant temps are. :thumb:

Are you having issues with yours? I have already put in the order to have the heat exchanger serviced. So we shall see.

Eric, more space was the motivator. That Mainship was a small 30 footer. This boat is a huge 35 footer. It weighs 2.5x more than the Mainship and only 5 feet longer. If that gives you any idea.

Back
Top Bottom