New bottom paint no copper uses Ivermectin, highly effective.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
When the barnacle larvae attaches to the paint, it grows its tendril foot into the paint, The ivermectin encapsulated in the paint kills the larvae. And also kill the algae. Tested all over the world.
You think the USA FEDS will approve this paint for use here?

Since everyone now seems to hate almost harmless copper except boat owners, they must approve something else that works, and this works better than copper.
Wonder how it will be priced.
Washington state should be pleased, you would think so, since they are banning all copper in paint.

LEAF-AntiFouling | FP7 Project "Low Emission AntiFouling"

Interesting idea. Ivermectin is a pesticide use to kill head lice in people and fleas on dogs and cats. Must be pretty safe for mammals.

A friend of mine sells veterinary supplies. He sold so much ivermectin that he named his dog Ivy.

Also used to de-worm mules & horses.

Boat owners can fight barnacles with new eco-friendly method
The barnacles dig their grave in the paint.

Only a small amount is needed to work.

The toxin used in the new type of paint is ivermectin – a molecule produced by the bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis. A good effect has been achieved with only one gram of ivermectin per litre of paint, or a concentration of only .1 per cent. The effect lasts for many years and can replace the copper currently used in hull paints. The research indicates that only very small amounts of the substance leach into the water.

Read more at: Boat owners can fight barnacles with new eco-friendly method

It sounds like it's only effective on barnacles. The article suggested mussels could be easily scraped off, along with the "salad" of other vegetation that grows so quickly on any submerged object. I don't see that as a valid option.

I don't see how this is a substitute for copper. Seems like it would be a great additive in addition to copper, though.

It sounds like it's only effective on barnacles. The article suggested mussels could be easily scraped off, along with the "salad" of other vegetation that grows so quickly on any submerged object. I don't see that as a valid option.

I don't see how this is a substitute for copper. Seems like it would be a great additive in addition to copper, though.

They did a validation study. http://leaf-antifouling.eu/media/Report-Final-Results-DEMO-downloadable.pdf

55 boaters tested the antifoul and 38 completed an on line survey. They were polled on their results for slime, tube worms, algae, barnacles and other organisms. A small cross section but the results were very favorable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom