New anchor chain locker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
My anchor chain locker was one the last places that needed some attention so this Fall I decided to look into it. The doors were in bad shape and didn't close well. Often the doors would pop open while under way and the chain would end up on the bunk. So I decided to not only remove the doors but also the pannel and replace everything.

But while working on this project I realized that this whole space could be optimized. Right under the front of the bunk ther was an unused spage that could be used to store the chain, allowing me to use the anchor chain locker to store something else. All I needed to do was to build a channel to send the chain down there. The solution was rather simple and easy to implement: install a PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow, fiberglass eveything in place and paint. All that is left for me to do now is to build new doors to access this new storage space.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445172869.319349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445172899.797750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445172937.051949.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445172973.184174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445173036.586538.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445173057.960100.jpg

Looks good. Where does the funky water that drains off the chain go?

There is no way to evacuate it. It was the same for the former locker anyway. What I usually do when I raise the anchor is to leave it on the deck until it dries so it's no big deal.

That turned out really nice. Could you install a drain line in that compartment that drains to the bilge? Seems like it would make life easier. Nice job!

Cheers, Bill

"Leave it on the deck"

Anchor, some chain or all the chain/line that was in the water?

The drip dry rode?

The setup was 100 feet of chain and 250 feet of rode but that was way too much for the body of water where I boat. So I will be replacing the rode with all chain. Probably around 150 feet in total. I usually anchor in 10-15 feet of water in the St-Lawrence river.

I could probably figure out a way to install a drain but it is not necessary really as the chain takes a few minutes to dry before I can store it in the locker.

The setup was 100 feet of chain and 250 feet of rode but that was way too much for the body of water where I boat. So I will be replacing the rode with all chain. Probably around 150 feet in total. I usually anchor in 10-15 feet of water in the St-Lawrence river.

I could probably figure out a way to install a drain but it is not necessary really as the chain takes a few minutes to dry before I can store it in the locker.

So you don't have a windlass?

Is there enough drop from the tube exit to the compartment floor to accommodate pyramiding of the chain? I have found that a couple of feet of drop is needed to allow the chain pile to build and fall by itself without crew intervention.

I hope the PVC and glass stands up to the chain abuse...especially the aft edge entering the locker. It will be banged quite a bit during anchor deployment as the chain feeds quickly through the hole from below.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom