Old 03-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Never ending gobbstopper

* In the beginning it was replace the rotten fuel tanks in my 1977 Marine Trader sedan. They are made of plain old carbon steel and due to leaks in the deck had rusted through on the tops. A reciprocating saw and the Lord looking out for children and old fools I managed to get them out in many pieces without cutting any holes in the hull. But first the engine had to come out, which leads to this post.

** The bilge was full of finger pokers, everytime I tried to clean under the engine I came away with holes in my fingers, even leather gloves weren't*immune to the little*hypodermic needles hiding there. After much grinding, sanding and cleaning I applied several coats of white tinted epoxy for a nice smooth finish.

** Then original engine room had a mass of wires hanging on the forward bulkhead, along the starboard side as well as nasty bilge hoses, batteries and wiring all over the floors. *With the installation of the new tanks being small than the originals I had extra space available. I moved all of the "stuff" behind sliding doors made of white pegboard. This came out much better tha I had though it would. The wiring was put in conduit and the battery cables for the engine, gen. bow thruster and winch or is that wench, no she's gone shopping.*

** There is still much to do as the list grows longer, as you well know, while I am doing this that would be nice to do and what about that over there and then, well you understand.* Some of you will notice things that I could do better or perhaps I missed some , chime in and I'll add them to the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-001l.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	10665   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-002l.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	10666   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-003l.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	10667   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-004l.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	10668   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-005l.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	10669  

awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
RE: Never ending gobbstopper

Greetings,
Mr. awpptdt. VERY nice work! I would question the use of peg board. Isn't that stuff Masonite? If so, isn't that prone to water damage? I don't know what to suggest in lieu of it though. Perhaps, painting BOTH sides of the panels if you haven't already done so will minimize water intrusion. Wanna do mine next?

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

this is the stuff that should be used:

http://www.soundown.com/Product%20Line/Adobe/pefweb.pdf
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Yes it is masonite and I do have a concern about swelling as I have not painted the reverse side. It shouldn't get wet but what effect wil the heat and humidity in the engine room have on it. Time will tell and it is inexspensive.
The perferated aluminium sheet looks nice and could be a way to go if the Masonite doesn't work out. Thanks, I have saved the site.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Nice job. It's a real "luxury" to be able to pull everything, including the engine, etc to do a cleanup like you have done. My tanks were replaced before I bought the boat, so I have no incentive to go that far. Like your idea of using the pegboard... but does anyone know where I might find some of the acoustical tile stuff that was originally installed in the old Marine Traders? I have none insulating the fuel tanks anymore, and I am sure it adds to the "boom" I hear down there. I've thought about cementing acoustical ceiling tiles with "liquid nails" and also replacing the tired insulation on the fwd and aft bulkheads in the engine room. Any comments?
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #6

I looked for the same ttiles and could not find any so I went Homedepot and used thier plain ones and stuck them up with #M's 5200. Liquid nails should work, originally the tiles had little nails in them.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Guru

OMG, amazing job!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Mr. ARoss.* http://www.silentsource.com/ceilings-ac-woodfiber.html

That's the best I could find with a short search.** Hope this helps.* It will probably be totaly impossible to match the pattern of the existing but...

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote