Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Need help to replace mast and boom

I need to replace my mast and boom on my Hershine 37 trip cabin. I searched the forum but did not find earlier threads on the subject. I have thought about spruce or aluminum. I talked to a sailboat rigger who has some old sailboat mast I could buy and rig. I figure by now a lot of the 80s vintage masts have been replaced. How did you do it?

Here is what's left of the original mast and boom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tortuga mast and boom in workshop.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	63620
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Any old wood boat builders in your area? They can easily make them
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I ordered nice new stuff from Dwyer Mast, aluminum extrusions with anodizing. West Marine did my swagings for the new cables with turn buckles for adjustment. Being in Alaska I had to ship UPS and they would only accommodate lengths to 9' so I got a 9' mast and had the boom material stuffed inside the mast extrusion.

Super happy with it, I get lots of compliments! I put spreader bars on it to push the support cables out so my kayaks on the cabin roof didn't rub on the cables. This year I am adding another bracket just below the spreader bars to mount a pair of Rigid LED diffused flood lights on, they will adjust for almost 360 degree lighting from that height and I can adjust them by standing on the cabin roof.

That was my fix :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Greatlaker, I made a new mast last year. See http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ast-26497.html and my album of pics. I used the original maststep, ditched the shrouds in favor of a table-tabernacle, used the original spreader lights, changed the design of the masthead to suit a radar scanner, installed a new nav/anchor light. Most of the mast was made from a scrounged spinnaker pole. I made fiberglass tube for the adapters and bought fiberglass shapes for the masthead parts.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Thanks guys, I had to travel so a little late seeing your responses. AKDoug any pictures and or comments about price?

DHeckrotte nice job. I will study your pics. Was the top all wood? How did you join the FRP tube sections?
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
GL221, thanks for the kind comment. The hinged step is the original heavy bronze casting. It accepted a slightly-under 3" dia neck on a wood mast (The OD of the casting lined with the OD of the mast). The spinnaker pole was slightly under 3" ID. I shopped around and could not source suitable fiberglass tubing in small quantities. So I made up several short lengths of fiberglass tubing whose OD was made to slip into the bronze and into the aluminum. I arranged the bottom tubing / inside splice so that the aluminum and the bronze did not touch. I made the masthead out of fiberglass sheet and tube stock, epoxying it all together and together with the masthead interior splice / tubing. Everything but the bronze is painted.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Guru

I spent around $1500 including shipping to Alaska. There were no second hand sailboat masts with rigging and hardware available to me up here so I was pretty much forced to do it all brand new from the manufacturer.

I did search for used masts but didn't find anything in the size I was looking for. Not sure how much you can blow up the picture of my avatar, but that is the new mast and boom. I use the boom to support a rain cover, as Prince William Sound is pretty much famous for damp weather.

I will look into my photo album later tonight and see what pictures there are in there...
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Guru

Pictures

Here are a couple, you may not want or need a boom.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3021.jpg   IMG_3074.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Guru

The boom started at 9' in length as it was shipped inside the mast, and has been cut down shorter a couple of times. There is a fiberglass tube sleeved inside the boom that extends out and completely covers the back of the boat to allow my generator to be run and for grilling in poor weather.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Mice setup, Doug. The mast looks "right", and the function of the boom extension is a nice touch.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Call locally and find out where the light poles that are scrapped by the road dept go.

As you only need the top 15--20 ft it should be undamaged when scrapped.

This is nice heavy wall tapered tubing and should be bought by the pound , not the piece.

Tell the junk yard its for a yard flag pole or bird feeder, not a yacht.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote