Old 11-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I don't think that would have helped, if you pay 50% up front. The penalty quickly consumer their incentive to finish and more than covers their cost of materials.
I don’t disagre. The vendors I do business with now don’t require anything upfront.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
What I am hearing here is.... Do your do diligence!!!

Before you ever start negotiating get references and inspect work they have done. I have never had the issues others talk about but then I have never used some one before I was sure of their work quality, their customer service, and their timelyness.

That said I use a guy who does work at a third the price of others, he does good work, when the work doesn’t come out quite right he makes it good but he is not timely. I know that up front. It’s 50% down, that is mostly so he has the money to buy materials and 50% on completion.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Interesting.

For any job significant like a canvas job, I'd argue STRONGLY to have a penalty clause. I always have them. 5% a week isn't bad, I prefer a daily penalty and for a $5k job that would be $100 a day.

Now I also have a bonus clause equal to the penalty.

I ask what his absolute guarantee delivery day is. I'll add, perhaps 5 days to that depending on the size of the job, after which the penalty starts. But for every day he's early starting 5 days prior to deliver date triggers the bonus. I clearly spell out that if the finished product doesn't meet MY satisfaction, it's not complete.

Now, I've gladly paid that bonus at times and have been very happy.

As for down payment, I might go as much as half of the material cost. I want him to have some skin in the game. Rarely had an issue.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
I refuse to pay deposits. If they cant cover the material cost they are running close to closing.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Most of the these guys are small businesses/one man shows. If they’re busy and have a good reputation are they going to want to work with you if start suggesting penalties? If you find the guy who has a great reputation and wants a deposit? What’s the big deal?

On Hobo, I realistictly shoot 2 out of 3 on services in the marine industry. I would love 3 out of 3: cost, quality, schedule. If I can get a good price with excellent quality, who am I to complain if the schedule slides?

Do your do diligence as tiltrider1 suggests.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Jupiter
Vessel Name: In between boats
I have had quite a few canvas jobs done by one company, from small repairs to major work on a whole boat cover and an entire new enclosure and it was always on time and at the agreed price. I always tried to have work done off season. I never signed anything (maybe I should have?) and never paid a deposit. Anybody who doesn't have the cash to buy materials is too risky IMHO.
SeaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I`ve never been asked for a deposit but if I was would not see it as unreasonable. Once they buy, cut and sew the material it`s impossible to recover material time and effort if the customer goes bad on them.
Word of mouth reference works for me. I doubt they want a deposit because they can`t pay for materials without it.
As to penalty clauses for liquidated damages,that`s building contract stuff. I can`t see it working here for canvas contracts, though it may do elsewhere.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Some points...

You CAN and SHOULD expect quality, service and price from EVERY JOB! That doesn't mean "cheap", but it does mean value.

And you can determine what level of the above you're willing to settle with.

As for deposits, there's nothing wrong with a small deposit. It means you have some skin in the game and can't carp out without costing you.

However, I'm firm on the penalty clause and with a performance bonus, it's more than fair. This is with the guy you just don't know that well.

What you don't want is the guy to have your boat or parts and promises 2 weeks and it takes 2 months. And you have to change your plans. He should know his work well enough to quote a time frame which he can honor. If he gets behind or other customers come in they work some friggin overtime and get the job done.

I've been doing this for years with everything I do, and rarely have run into an issue. And the only guy that wouldn't sign it was late... should have gone elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Jupiter
Vessel Name: In between boats
I paid a deposit for boat work once. A small deposit, fortunately. Never saw the guy again. Fool me once...
SeaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #30

City: Jersey City
Vessel Name: Rhumb Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Marine Trader Labell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I fabricate my own, so I never meet my deadline... we just redid all the canvas on our boat. I did have the front panels on the flybridge fabricated by an EZ2CY shop. I put 50% down on that and the rest on completion. Since the fabricator was in Cape May, NJ and we live in MI, I made the patterns and he made the 7 panels and shipped them to us. They fit perfectly and we love the EZ2C panels. We met the fabricator on our trip home with the boat when we had some seams blow out due to old stitching. He did a wonderful job on our panels and was exactly on schedule and price. Guess it was luck of the draw so to speak, but he did show us several boats in the marina that he had done and they looked good so we went with him.
Hi,
Im looking for someone to do canvas work in NJ, Can you sen me a name for the shop you used in Cape May?
Thx, Steve

wolfjunk1@gmail.com
volpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If you looking for a goid canvas shop in NJ try Gioia Sails in Lakewood. They gave done work for Luhrs & Mainship and do very nice work. No connection other than I used to buy material from them.

http://gioiasails.com/home/
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I used Surf Side Custom Marine Canvas. 609-839-7709. Eric Jefferis is the owner. He did a great job. I saw 5or 6 boats he had done at a marina in Cape May. We sent hime parrerns for the EZ2CY panels after we got home to Michigan. He finished on time and on money and the panels fit perfectly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote