Name removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboatnow

How do TF'ers go about removing a painted on name, on Gelcoat?

Thanks as always

How do TF'ers go about removing a painted on name, on Gelcoat?

You can try a little heat (be careful) and a solvent like citrus/orange oil. Stronger paint removers might work but try them on gel coat that's either not visible or on something other than your boat.

To remove the vinyl lettering that was on our boat when we bought it we used heat (carefully) and then orange oil to remove the sticky residue. Heat might bubble up the paint which then can be scraped off with a smooth plastic scraper and the orange oil might get under the bubbled up, cracked paint and help lift it.

This is total theory on my part--- I've never had to remove paint from gelcoat. So don't do what I've suggested without frist talking to someone who works in this field, or someone with successful experience at removing paint from gel coat.

Let us know what you learn.

TEST A SMALL SPOT

Easy off oven cleaner do not spray it on spray it into a small container and put it on with a brush to test

TEST A SMALL SPOT

Easy off oven cleaner do not spray it on spray it into a small container and put it on with a brush to test

This my suggestion too--works very well.

TEST A SMALL SPOT

Agree I've done it this way and worked for me.

It may take several applications & removals...just repeat and it gets lighter each round.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

I used heat-gun, scrapped off the lettering, then used a 3M adhesive remover to get the glue off. I used a clean white cloth for that part. I then wet sanded using 800 grit followed with 1000 grit. When completed, no evidence the previous name/numbers. Worked great. Our boat had a name that took up a lot of space, both on the bow & stern.

I used heat-gun, scrapped off the lettering, then used a 3M adhesive remover to get the glue off. I used a clean white cloth for that part. I then wet sanded using 800 grit followed with 1000 grit. When completed, no evidence the previous name/numbers. Worked great. Our boat had a name that took up a lot of space, both on the bow & stern.

Sounds like a decal removal not a painted on as the OP has described he has??

I tried the oven cleaner but would not take off the 30 some year old paint that was on my transom. I ended up using a razor blade at low angle and slowly got it off. Followed up with wet sanding. Covered over the whole thing with a decal with a border. There was just too much difference between the two surfaces to mask. Good luck!

Attachments

• Great Lakes 33  on dry dock 015 (Large).jpg
    Great Lakes 33 on dry dock 015 (Large).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1660 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1660 (Large).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 57
Wet sand if the paint removers don't work. Start with 1000 then 1200 and finish with 1500 grit then buff out. Use a block. You'll most likely have to wet sand and buff the entire transom. Don't de surprise if you see the ghost lettering. Other than refinishing you'll have to live with the ghost till it fades.

Wet sand if the paint removers don't work. Start with 1000 then 1200 and finish with 1500 grit then buff out. Use a block. You'll most likely have to wet sand and buff the entire transom. Don't de surprise if you see the ghost lettering. Other than refinishing you'll have to live with the ghost till it fades.

This is what I did.
I first used a citrus paint remover gel and let it sit on the name for a good 15-20 minutes. Then used a sharpe razor to scrape at a low angle.
Rinse, repeat.......about a hundred times.
The gel worked much better than Easy off. I used a cheap foam brush to paint the gel on. I was able to control where the gel went much better than the oven cleaner.
I finally did the wet sanding thing followed by a compound and wax.

To remove the vinyl lettering that was on our boat when we bought it we used heat (carefully) and then orange oil to remove the sticky residue.

There seems to exist no concoction on Earth that will actually dissolve the adhesive from vinyl letters. The best adhesive "removers" only loosen the adhesive so that it can be scraped off with razor in sheets or rubbed off into little balls.

It is a curiosity to me that someone like 3M can't invent a vinyl letter adhesive that holds properly for years and yet has a direct "antidote" to easily dissolve the adhesive rather than just loosen it.

Sign removal

I don't wanna do this again anytime soon. Heat gun, scraper, acetone, wet sand, wet sand and more wet sand. Then buff, buff and more buffing.
Might have been easier to just cover it up with a background first then apply new lettering.
Just be careful that you don't sand through the gel coat. Then your opening another can of worms. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom