Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #221
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I probably have the only Nick Jackson dingy crane painted with Awlgrip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1554.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	46290

It now has a very nice pad eye to secure it when not in use.

Name:	DSCN1553.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	46291

The old mounting of the stern light was tacky and kept getting whacked by the outboard motor. The new stern light is now recessed into the roof line and will get a Starboard plate over it.

Name:	MC36.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	46292

Name:	DSCN1557.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	46293

Stairs to the boat deck being taped off before sanding in preparation of Kiwigrip non skid.

Name:	DSCN1559.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	46294

The winch station up front is back together. The winch has one marked chain already installed. Below to the left and right are 2 faucets. The left one is fresh water for misting off the salt before going into the chain locker. The right faucet is raw water for blasting the mud and sand off the chain and anchor as it’s being retrieved. At the bottom on both sides are stainless screens covering the ventilation holes for the chain locker and provide air to the engine room.

Name:	DSCN1560.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	46295

375’ of 3/8” freshly marked and regalvanized chain waiting to be loaded into the anchor locker.

Name:	DSCN1519.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	46296

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #222
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Oh man, I got some serious wood over those pics! Kinda like a really good bowel movement! Jeeezzzz, am I getting old or what!
I gotta find a Sean in my neck of the woods.
Ted, you are a lucky guy. It's to damn purty to put in the water!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #223
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ted, that is some kind of pretty!!!
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #224
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Simply awesome Ted. She's a work of functional art.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #225
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
It's to damn purty to put in the water!

Yes, you'll have to build a big pool and fill it full of bottled water so you don't get it dirty. You certainly can't put that boat in the ocean!!
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #226
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Oh man, I got some serious wood over those pics! Kinda like a really good bowel movement! Jeeezzzz, am I getting old or what!
I gotta find a Sean in my neck of the woods.
Ted, you are a lucky guy. It's to damn purty to put in the water!
Yes, I know I'm very lucky to have Sean. Constantly amazed at the effort he makes on the different projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ted, that is some kind of pretty!!!
One day real soon the work will be done and maybe a year from then I might be able to stop grinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Simply awesome Ted. She's a work of functional art.
Yes, and I can't wait to start the functioning part.

Ted
Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #227
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
You are going to get tired of all the TF boat groupies when she finally hits the docks. I bet you cant wipe that smile off your face. I hope to see her no later than June. If not in Ft Meyers then Crisfield on the way back home.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #228
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
There's a moment as an artist when you step back from the piece you've been toiling over and it would be ruined if one thing was taken away, or something was added that it didn't need. That's how you're going to feel when you cast an eye over every inch of your boat.

Then again, Sean might say, "Hey, I've got this idea..."
Old 11-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #229
Guru

City: LI or Fla
The attention to detail and the level of work is really great, but sometimes I wonder is this about making a great boat to go cruising, or just the enjoyment of creating a great boat if that makes sense.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #230
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
the attention to detail and the level of work is really great, .
x10!!!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #231
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Ya know, watching this work of art take shape, I realize I'm just not the kind of guy that could have something that nice. I'd be worried every minute that something or someone, especially me, would damage it. Once, after completing a 1500 hour restoration of a one-off semi-truck design, I towed it to the first show, only to find some kid standing on the 5000 dollar, clear-coated fender so he could look through the windshield. I just don't have what it takes. The only thing you could have done to put more of yourself into this boat would have been to build it from scratch. Hats off to ya, Ted.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #232
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Ya know, watching this work of art take shape, I realize I'm just not the kind of guy that could have something that nice. I'd be worried every minute that something or someone, especially me, would damage it. Once, after completing a 1500 hour restoration of a one-off semi-truck design, I towed it to the first show, only to find some kid standing on the 5000 dollar, clear-coated fender so he could look through the windshield. I just don't have what it takes. The only thing you could have done to put more of yourself into this boat would have been to build it from scratch. Hats off to ya, Ted.
Larry, I think we should ban Ted from attending the TF South Florida winter gathering in Ft. Pierce.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #233
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
I wonder is this about making a great boat to go cruising, or just the enjoyment of creating a great boat if that makes sense.
I've had bikes and boats that were just that; bikes and boats. I've also owned bikes and boats that were an extension of me. Ones that were responsive to me like no others; close to having a personality and knowing exactly what I was asking of them and expected from them.

Anyone who has had horses knows what I'm talking about.

I never neglected them but, the bikes and boats that were a part of me got special attention, stood out at the dock or outside the truck stop. Those were the ones that got the money thrown at them; had parts replaced just because they didn't shine like new. Those were the ones that returned the biggest grins and produced no regrets.

I'm pretty sure I know how/what Ted is feeling.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #234
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Larry, I think we should ban Ted from attending the TF South Florida winter gathering in Ft. Pierce.
Yeah, that's easy for you to say, Don. You're probably running a close 2nd place to Ted when it comes to paint jobs. While both of you could commission high-buck oil paintings of your boats, they still insist I do mine in chalk.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #235
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
That is SO fine. Two thumbs up to Sean. And three thumbs to OC Diver- this started as your dream and Sean is just living with you as he does his daily unbelievable work. Awesome...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #236
Guru

Long day in the boatyard. Sean and I kiwigripped the forward deck, steps to the pilothouse, and steps up to the upper deck. No pics as the color changes as it dries, but looks like it came out really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Yes, you'll have to build a big pool and fill it full of bottled water so you don't get it dirty. You certainly can't put that boat in the ocean!!
Watch me! I like my boats to look great, but they're to be used, not tied to the dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
You are going to get tired of all the TF boat groupies when she finally hits the docks. I bet you cant wipe that smile off your face. I hope to see her no later than June. If not in Ft Meyers then Crisfield on the way back home.
I have a plan for the groupies at the dock, go cruising. Smile every morning now when I walk into the building. Look forward to getting together in one place or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
The attention to detail and the level of work is really great, but sometimes I wonder is this about making a great boat to go cruising, or just the enjoyment of creating a great boat if that makes sense.
I understand what you're saying. I definitely enjoyed the project and have no regrets for the extra time and money. That being said and to answer your question, I'll never do it again. That's what I keep telling my wife anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
x10!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Funny, I actually considered building a Diesel Duck 10+ years ago. Decided it was more than I could realistically accomplish. To me, I prefer what I'm doing. Found a boat that ticked off the boxes. Played with it for six months to really get a feel for it and a better idea of what I really wanted to change. Then started the refit process knowing what the boat would be (because I had already used it). Think part of my ultimate reservation of building from scratch was not knowing how well I would like the boat once it was done. Throughout the whole process, I have always known that I will like this boat when it's finished.

Quote:
Do to not leaving by November 1st, and family and business commitments in November / December, I can't start heading South now till after the first of the year. So, there isn't a guarantee at this point that the boat will go South this winter. It's going to depend on the weather. But I'll be there with or without the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I've had bikes and boats that were just that; bikes and boats. I've also owned bikes and boats that were an extension of me. Ones that were responsive to me like no others; close to having a personality and knowing exactly what I was asking of them and expected from them.

Anyone who has had horses knows what I'm talking about.

I never neglected them but, the bikes and boats that were a part of me got special attention, stood out at the dock or outside the truck stop. Those were the ones that got the money thrown at them; had parts replaced just because they didn't shine like new. Those were the ones that returned the biggest grins and produced no regrets.

I'm pretty sure I know how/what Ted is feeling.
Yup, that pretty much describes it. Credit card bill for last months load of boat toys is really ugly. Spent over $300 alone on 316 stainless steel screws so that none of the exterior fasteners would rust. Good thing this project is coming to an end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
That is SO fine. Two thumbs up to Sean. And three thumbs to OC Diver- this started as your dream and Sean is just living with you as he does his daily unbelievable work. Awesome...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Thanks! Just another day leaving the dream as I scrape the Kiwigrip from under my finger nails.

Ted
Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #237
Guru

Some more progress pics:

For the last couple of days I’ve been doing antenna installation work. Several items either required installations over the headliner in the pilothouse or running wires above the headliner. This meant that the port side headliner needed to come down and the starboard one needed to flex enough to access hardware for the radar mount. So I pulled the trim around the skylights, trim around the walls, ceiling lights, and the grab handle. The ceiling panel is over 9’ long and when we dropped it we realized we couldn’t get it out of the pilothouse with the helm chair in place. So it had to be left resting on the helm chair and back rest of the bench seat. Talk about a pain in the butt! Needless to say everything is a mess, wires are running everywhere, and crossing from port to starboard requires the limbo dance to get under the ceiling panel.

Name:	DSCN1561.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	46433

Name:	DSCN1562.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	46434

Name:	DSCN1570.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	46435

Name:	DSCN1571.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	46436

Installing the new radar mount was lots of fun working under the starboard headliner for half the hardware, drilling holes and sealing the core material with West System.

Name:	DSCN1567.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	46437

Pulling wires in every direction.

Name:	DSCN1568.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	46438

Name:	DSCN1569.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	46439

Really happy with how everything is coming together on the roof.

Name:	DSCN1586.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	46440

Name:	DSCN1587.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	46441

Name:	DSCN1576.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	46442

More pics in a minute.

Ted
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #238
Guru

The front deck and the steps on either side of the pilothouse have been Kiwigripped. Sean brushed and I rolled. Looks to be a very nice barefoot friendly surface. The florescent lights don’t show the color well. The Kiwigrip is grey and the painted surfaces are Matterhorn white which has some grey in it. There is a noticeable difference in the colors, but not a sharp contrast.

Name:	DSCN1580.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	46443

Name:	DSCN1581.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	46444

Name:	DSCN1582.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	46445

Name:	DSCN1583.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	46446

Name:	DSCN1584.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	46447

Boat will be coming out of the building on or before next Wednesday.

Ted
Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #239

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Ted,
I am watching each photograph and feeling like I have so much work today, just to be reasonable, but never come close to the beauty you have created. I do have to shake my head thinking about a weightbelt or tank being dropped on the deck.
You have an amazing yacht.
Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #240
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
As a public service, to remind folks what is NORMAL on many boats I present my recently hauled hull. Ted's not helping us common men at the dock with the launch of this shining example of perfection.

vs.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote