Old 03-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Engine install pics:

Thought I would add the engine install pics to the tread. Have posted these before, but for the sake of continuity added them plus some new pics. First pic is of the motor heading up to the boat. The only things that needed to come off the engine to fit through the door were the starboard engine and transmission hangar mounts. This engine is so much narrower that the Cummins which required a number of items to be removed to squeeze through the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0971.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	38095

Lots of room to spare on the sides. Also the engine is shorter which made the install easier.

Name:	DSCN0974.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	38096

Engine is in place so we can position the 3/8" thick stainless steel bed plates, and mark where bridges and isolators attach. A rough shaft alignment is done to get the bridges under the transmission isolators at the right height.

Name:	DSCN0985.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	38097

Everything looks good, so we move the engine out of the way to finish the bed plates.

Name:	DSCN0989.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	38098

The bridges are welded to the bed plates. All the holes are drilled and tapped for the isolator bolts. Holes are drilled for three 1/2" stainless lag bolts that will anchor each bed plate. Pilot holes are drilled in the engine beds. Then the engine beds and pan are sanded, wiped down and then receive 3 or 4 applications of gel coat. Finally the bed plates are lag down with three 8" lag bolts per side and a generous amount of 5200. They're not going anywhere.

Name:	DSCN0992.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	38099

The engine now is set and a final shaft alignment is done. After everything is bolted down tight, the 13' x 3.5" shaft can still be turned with one hand. As they say at the marina, "It's not perfect but you're not getting any closer."

Name:	DSCN0996.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	38100

Sean is holding the model I made for the custom stainless exhaust riser with the extension on it. The string going across represents the engine room ceiling. The sound insulation will be reworked above the riser to accommodate the extra height. Marine Exhaust of Rivera Beach, FL will make a custom stainless riser with heat wrap from my model. The model has to be flat against the turbo, discharge has to be 3 dimensionally exactly where I want it, maximum height needs to be correct, and brace tab and raw water inlet also need to be correct. There is a lot to get right and not much room for error. They also wanted pictures to understand all the points. Second picture is without the extension to floor reference.

Name:	DSCN0997.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	38101

Name:	DSCN1003.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	38102

2 months later here's my new riser. It's not perfect but it couldn't be any closer. There is a brace that runs from underneath the high section down to the transmission mount to help support the weight. Below the discharge will be a 12" x 12" x 12" lift muffler. The discharge will go straight up then straight back over the genset before turning to starboard then out the transom. All the remaining exhaust parts are waiting for me to return from FL in a couple of weeks to install them.

Name:	DSCN1093.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	38103

Name:	DSCN1095.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	38104
Next will be upgrades to the electrical system.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #82
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Nice!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 03-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #83
Guru

Upgrades to the 12 volt system and the house battery bank:

So when I bought the boat, one of the high priority items on the list was cleaning up the 12 volt system in the engine room. While the system did function and the components were of good quality, it was clear that the system had been added to in a poorly thought out plan. Basically the 150 amp engine alternator connected to a 2 battery bank charging isolator which provided power to one 8D battery for the engine and three 8D batteries for the house bank. The batteries and alternator were on the starboard side and the isolator was on the port side with the power distribution panel. Over 100' of 4/0 tinned marine cable tied this Kludge together. This was done when the new Magnum inverter charger was installed. From a bill in the boat records, the materials (not including the inverter or labor) were over $4K. As space was limited in the engine room, the four 8D battery boxes were mounted next to the engine making it really tough to do engine maintenance.

First project was to relocate the battery bank. The Cummins engine used a very large lift muffler and a bunch of 6" exhaust pipe. That will all be relocated and replaced with a much smaller lift muffler and 4" exhaust pipe for the John Deere.

Name:	DSCN0761.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	38119

The platform for the old lift muffler became the location for the new battery box. Sean built this box out of coosa board, 2 layers of bi-axial cloth with polyester inside and out, and finally covered with several applications of gel coat. Did I tell you Sean does really nice work?

Name:	DSCN1022.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	38120

Battery box is filled with 8 Trojan T105 deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries. 900 amp house bank and 4/0 cable carrying it to the distribution panels. That should keep the LED lights on.

Name:	DSCN1052.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	38121

This is the old power distribution center. From left to right: Magnum inverter / charger, positive power distribution panel with lexan cover, below distribution panel is an always hot fuse panel for bilge pumps and radio memory, top to bottom engine battery switch - bank combiner - house battery switch, dual battery charging isolator, and negative buss and ground bonding buss. Took me a while to make sense of it all.

Name:	DSCN0773.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	38122

This is the new power distribution center. It's a little less busy. Not quite done. Still need to add a few cable anchors, some labeling, and the lexan cover over positive distribution panel.

Name:	DSCN1065.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	38123

Everything was disassembled ,cleaned, and reassembled with some minor changes. From left to right. Positive power distribution panel. There is a house bank battery switch and the engine emergency start switch. Engine battery is next to the engine with 16" battery leads; no point running extra wire and another switch. The emergency switch allows the engine to be started off the house battery. Next is the always on fuse panel. Above it is the shunt for the Victron Battery monitor.

Name:	DSCN1079.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	38124

Next to the always on fuse panel is the negative buss with a sub buss above it. Next is the ground bonding buss. The red box is a Sterling advanced alternator regulator.

Name:	DSCN1078.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	38125

Missing from the power distribution center is the dual battery charging isolator. Instead I mounted a second alternator on the engine with a Sterling 3 stage charging regulator. The engine alternator and battery only power the engine and it's gauges. Everything else is power by the house bank and 220 amp second alternator. In the event of a failure of either alternator, flipping the emergency start switch combines both banks so they can be charged from either alternator.

Name:	DSCN1033.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	38126

The cluttered engine room with the Cummins, the 8D battery boxes, and a lot of wire snaking around the front of the engine.

Name:	DSCN0760.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	38127

The engine room before all the wiring was done. The daily engine, transmission, and genset fluid checks along with all the fuel separators and tank manifolding are on the starboard side......by design.

Name:	DSCN0995.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	38128

Still have 2 milk crates full of primary wire left over after everything was reconfigured.

Next up my new raw water system.

Ted
Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Really nice attention to detail, should make for a very reliable and sound vessel. Any thoughts on sound deadening as well as what is your cruising plans with this fine new vessel?
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Really nice attention to detail, should make for a very reliable and sound vessel. Any thoughts on sound deadening as well as what is your cruising plans with this fine new vessel?
Boat was well sound insulated with soundown insulation. Have added some more in areas, but will do sea trials before going any further. Cruising plans are annually the Chesapeake in the summer and Florida in the winter until I retire. Great Loop in 2016 or 2017. Planning the East coast from Maine to Texas, and near Caribbean Bahamas and maybe Cuba.

Ted
Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #86
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Your house bank is just like the one I am currently working on! (without the perfectly made custom box)....
You may want consider this connection set up for where you come off the bank.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Your house bank is just like the one I am currently working on! (without the perfectly made custom box)....
You may want consider this connection set up for where you come off the bank.
Can certainly see how it's theoretically better. Wonder if there is much of an actual difference? With the large wire size lugs, getting that third lug on the battery terminal is going to be tough.

Ted
Old 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Awesome plan, I'm a few more years further out then you, some common plans of where to travel, not looking to do the full loop, northern Canadian canals which we haven't done and maybe the BVI/AVI areas is what we are hoping for.

Thanks again for sharing, all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Boat was well sound insulated with soundown insulation. Have added some more in areas, but will do sea trials before going any further. Cruising plans are annually the Chesapeake in the summer and Florida in the winter until I retire. Great Loop in 2016 or 2017. Planning the East coast from Maine to Texas, and near Caribbean Bahamas and maybe Cuba.

Ted
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #89
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Ted: Are you adding a SOC monitor for the house bank?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Ted: Are you adding a SOC monitor for the house bank?
Yes, a Victron battery monitor, shunt is in the 6th pic of post #83. Plan to use it as a rough guide for state of charge, and reset it each time the bank is completely recharged. Really more interested in amps out and amps in rates as opposed to state of charge of the bank. Working under the assumption that when amp flow in drops to almost zero after many hours of cruising, the bank is close to fully charged, and the 220 amp alternator is producing for current consumption only. Does that sound like a viable plan?

Ted
Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Awesome plan, I'm a few more years further out then you, some common plans of where to travel, not looking to do the full loop, northern Canadian canals which we haven't done and maybe the BVI/AVI areas is what we are hoping for.

Thanks again for sharing, all the best!
Thought I would do the whole loop avoiding the Mississippi and the Canadian canals. Wanted to see what the other rivers in the central USA were like as some sounded interesting. Think I can live without seeing the levies of the Mississippi. Plan to make a second trip back up the Hudson to see the Canadian waters. Want to be able to spend more time without the traditional imposed deadline of Chicago by Labor Day. Would plan to come down the Hudson in October, follow fall to Florida if that's possible.

Ted
Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
"With the large wire size lugs, getting that third lug on the battery terminal is going to be tough."

Yeah, I can see where that would be difficult. I would still consider putting my charger wires there though if at all possible.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #93
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
"With the large wire size lugs, getting that third lug on the battery terminal is going to be tough."

Yeah, I can see where that would be difficult. I would still consider putting my charger wires there though if at all possible.
If you go with Trojans and want bolt on terminals, I would suggest you go with the EHPT (embedded high profile terminial) post. The difference is the ability to stack more than 2-4/0 or 2/0 battery cables per post. With the standard post, the ELPT (embedded low profile terminal) you are limited to ~2. If you look at the lower right terminal, I have 1-4/0 and 2-2/0 lugs on the post. I would like to have a little more post height. It's an ELPT.

When we picked up our batteries, the seller went out of his way to stress that we use the correct torque for the nuts on the posts. He showed us 2 new batteries where a buyer (s) got a little carried away over tightening the nuts. Trojan lists the torque value at 95-105 in-lb for the ELPT or EHPT posts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery Cables 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	38136  
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #94
TF Site Team

Quote:
Yes, a Victron battery monitor, shunt is in the 6th pic of post #83. Plan to use it as a rough guide for state of charge, and reset it each time the bank is completely recharged. Really more interested in amps out and amps in rates as opposed to state of charge of the bank. Working under the assumption that when amp flow in drops to almost zero after many hours of cruising, the bank is close to fully charged, and the 220 amp alternator is producing for current consumption only. Does that sound like a viable plan?

Ted
Sounds good. We also look at the amps in/out the most. We do look at the voltage but more as an indicator when we aren't charging. From experience, I can tell the SOC pretty close even if the batteries aren't at rest by what the voltage is and what's running DC wise.

Great thread.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #95
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Ted: You know, going with the little Deere is going to ruin your wake-making possibilities. Still, that 3.5" shaft must be a record for that size motor....giving you the "my shaft is bigger than your shaft" bragging rights at the anchorages. I want that boat, Ted. I don't care if it costs a million bucks, I want it.

Note: I can't do anything about it, but I want it.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Ted: You know, going with the little Deere is going to ruin your wake-making possibilities. Still, that 3.5" shaft must be a record for that size motor....giving you the "my shaft is bigger than your shaft" bragging rights at the anchorages. I want that boat, Ted. I don't care if it costs a million bucks, I want it.

Note: I can't do anything about it, but I want it.
Lusting over another's boat, one of the 7 deadly Trawler Forum sins. Well at least you're open about it. Is Bucky ok with this?

Ted
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #97
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Dimer... You may want consider this connection set up for where you come off the bank.
Quote:
Can certainly see how it's theoretically better. Wonder if there is much of an actual difference?
Ted
Ted... I just stumbled across your thread and got "caught up" w/ the work. Nice job w/ the refit - great looking vessel - thanks for taking the time to document & share it.

Re: the above comments - I have also wondered just how much better the theoretical connection would be. I started a Reference material thread in the Electrical Electronic & Nav sub-forum Post #9 includes a link Smart Gauge How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.

This is the best explanation & quantification of the differences of several battery wiring alternatives... hope it helps
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Ted... I just stumbled across your thread and got "caught up" w/ the work. Nice job w/ the refit - great looking vessel - thanks for taking the time to document & share it.

Re: the above comments - I have also wondered just how much better the theoretical connection would be. I started a Reference material thread in the Electrical Electronic & Nav sub-forum Post #9 includes a link Smart Gauge How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.

This is the best explanation & quantification of the differences of several battery wiring alternatives... hope it helps
Hi Don, appreciate the link. The 15% difference in draw down isn't huge, but it is significant. The stumbling block for me is still getting that 3rd cable on the battery terminals and routing the wire within the battery box. Things would be a lot easier if I had made the box bigger. Lots of fun bending 2/0 battery jumpers in tight spaces.

Ted
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #99
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I need another refit FIX. Its been two weeks.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #100

City: Eads, TN
Vessel Name: In Progress
Vessel Model: Overseas Yachts PT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I need another refit FIX. Its been two weeks.
Me Too...
I was really looking forward to seeing how the glassed over cap rails turned out when completed.

Harry is online now   Reply With Quote