Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
In Sydney, guys such as "Sodablast" will strip an IG36 for around AUD $2500 (still at/above parity). He arrives in a custom fitted truck,sets up screening,takes half a day,(our all over hard sand took me, and my better half, a weekend), works relatively quietly,recovers the grit material,cleans up,and leaves a hull ready for whatever work is required. Shipwrights working on my hull said, in hindsight, it was the better way. BruceK

Bruce: what made you soda-blast before anti-fouling? Did you have blisters to repair? Just wondering if there's a point in a non-blistering hull's life when taking back to bare is recommended.

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Bruce: what made you soda-blast before anti-fouling? Did you have blisters to repair? Just wondering if there's a point in a non-blistering hull's life when taking back to bare is recommended.

Often a boat hasn't had an ablative type paint on it and there are so many layers it is weight, roughness and the inability to get new paint to hold on that causes people to blast or grind down.

No absolutes...just when it feels right.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
If I remember correctly they said $8500 for sodablasting. So it doesn't 'feel right' just yet.

If the pressure wash removed a bunch of layers and exposed gel coat then I just scraped any additional loose bits off, smoothed the edges a bit and put on some Primocon before antifouling. Sure it isn't perfectly smooth but I'm not racing anyone anywhere.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
We didn`t, but wished we had. The "quote" was from the SodaStrip man doing another boat at the yard. We did have plenty of blisters to repair, the post repair full dry sand was worthwhile but a truly nasty job, even with face masks. Before I bought, the hull had been soda stripped and antifouled, the blisters exposed were mostly just left(!), a few were bogged, 20K came off the price post survey. The bill/receipt for the prior work was "misleading", as the deceased owners son and I discovered together.
If you get a significant antifoul build up it is worth stripping to get back to a fair surface. It made a big difference with a yacht I had years ago, much quicker. It is usually followed by an epoxy coat if taken right back, and protective coats to prevent osmosis, before the a/f. I think it gets to a point where you have to do it, if you can save getting to that by sanding and or ablative a/f, do.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Tampa
Looks like you're doing a pretty thorough job
I helped a buddy re do the bottom on his 39' sailboat.

For the quote that he'd gotten, we all agreed afterward that next time we'll all pitch in and hire it done. I'm getting too old for this crap

I'm with psneeld though, don't just plop down your hard earned coin and walk away. Either supervise each steep, or sub it out.

OD
Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Sand blasted her bottom to fix a couple of spots and make sure there weren't any others hiding. Think it was $50 per hour plus the sand, less than $500.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0828.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	43614

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
What about one of those soda blasting outfits that uses a pressure washer.Would that be cheaper?It's a one time investment except the soda needed.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #28
Guru

The soda blast guys here set up a tent thing, and collect the blasting agent. It`s a clean tidy process, they are all set up and have a special truck with everything they need.
Someone sandblasted a steel boat next to mine when it was in a shed for osmosis work etc. The noise and the mess were horrendous, it took forever to get the boat clean. (It was at the old Halvorsen factory site at Putney.)
That sounds like a great deal Ted. Nothing gets done to a boat here for $50ph. A Sodablast job for my boat was estimated at $2500 "cash".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I haul out annually, for bottom inspection, paint and zinc work as/if needed, and prop treatment.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Possibly the prices for soda blasting are all over the map dues to environmental protection or insurance reasons....costs the yard may incur that they pass along.

Ted..that would have been a great price...usually $40-$60 a foot is the pricing I am familiar with And that was 2012 when I was doing my boat.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Often a boat hasn't had an ablative type paint on it and there are so many layers it is weight, roughness and the inability to get new paint to hold on that causes people to blast or grind down...
Do you mean a hard or modified epoxy paint? Ablatives (sloughing) paint wear off with use. The modified epoxy's usually don't. In the hard paints it's the biocide, not the paint itself that usually wears away. We've had to strip 3 boats with modified epoxy because of the paint build up with the symptoms that you mentioned.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Sand blasted her bottom to fix a couple of spots and make sure there weren't any others hiding. Think it was $50 per hour plus the sand, less than $500.

Attachment 43614

Ted
Made a mistake on the price and wanted to clarify. The marina charged $150 per hour plus sand. Still a great price.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #33
Guru

City: kemah
It took them just a few hours to sandblast the whole hull?

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote