Mobile Tank Cleaning Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Looking for satisfied customers in the northern Chesapeake/Delaware Bay Area. (Boat is on the hard in Delaware City.) Our tanks don't leak, but they're 27 years old and I want them off my worry list. I'd like a company that can remove any sludge, clean and examine the tank bottoms and, if necessary, coat them with a fuel-resistant sealer. Thnx.

Thanks, Eric. I'll check them out.

Let me know how the search is going.

Most fuel tanks are not built to be serviced .

To do a proper job each section between baffles would need an inspection port , that can be used for hand access.

Inspection ports are now an aftermarket item that can be installed as required.

For a keeper boat , it would probably be worth while to scrap the existing fuel box and have built a proper marine fuel tank with a serviceable sump.

Second choice might be a large fuel line (so it wont easily clog with fuel debris) and a centrifugal fuel cleaner like an alfalaval.

Most common is to install a fuel polishing system which will clean the fuel, but does nothing for the tank crud.

A pair of switchable filters , with a case of elements does well in most inshore cruising.

Most folks cant be bothered and will have a service simply pump the fuel thru a filter with the return under good pressure to perhaps break some of the tank crud loose.

Appreciate it, Fred. I assume the baffles in most saddle tanks are oriented athwartship so that adding new inspection ports would allow viewing of the cavities between baffles?

>I assume the baffles in most saddle tanks are oriented athwartship so that adding new inspection ports would allow viewing of the cavities between baffles?<

Usually so , Depending on how the tank was built , sometimes the baffles (if installed) will have rivets that help hold the baffle when pitching.

Sometimes the weld shrinkage can be spotted from outside.

I would check as well as you can , including borrowing a camera to find the baffle and cut the first inspection port in a clear area..

Although it is a PIA , I have known folks that chemically cleaned the tank.

Remove all fuel, add 20 gal industrial cleaner let it sit then add water , blow air in to raise the level of cleaning ,
finally pump all the crud .

A water rinse with a pump out and hopefully you are done.

This was done by a looper , so rough water clean is a maybe , but it worked just fine for him.

No filter changes underway , 6000 miles!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom