Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
For the record! I believe Portuguese's story & can find no humor in the posts that belittle him.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Portuguese, best way I can put it is I`m agnostic about oil additives.
Years ago I put a molybdenum additive in the manual gearbox of an Austin Healey, the improvement in shifting and gear noise was amazing.
Six years ago my genset got glazed when unintentionally I ran it no load for an extended period, the "load" eutectic compressor had died, unbeknown to me. Nulon, an Aussie oil company,claimed their diesel oil additive used at double strength will fix it, and it did. I keep using it at the normal ratio.
Based on that, I`m inclined to respect your experience.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
For those who think they know all.

Before 60 ml of Militec/liter of oil 1850 RPM 7.2/7,5 knts
Now 1850 7.6/7.9 knts

If you don't believe go and try. And yes, Militec was first made to clean weapons or to grease moving machinery until your glorious army boys started to put it in their cars and trucks. Don't think I am ignorant or want to sell snake oil. Do not under estimate my inteligence. Go and ask your Navy engineers.

There are some funny boys around here now. Maybe is time to go back to the sea or change Forum.

Cheers
Glad it works for you. Far to many variables to claim that was the only reason for the increase. For the same engine RPM, it's hard to believe an increase in speed as nothing has changed in the drive train. Now if you told me there was a reduction in fuel burn for the same speed, I might find that more plausible.

Ted
Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Hi BruceK
People only read what and how they want to read. That's why there are so many interpretations for the same texts in the Bible.
Maybe I put it wrongly but, what I really meant, was that my engine runs smoother and with a lot less effort due to the lost of friction.
About the speed, and because the gear also has Militec, I have a considerable decrease in power losses before the same gets to the prop. Once again, less friction losses.

For many in the stoneage, the wheel was a useless mechanism
Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #25

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Still, regardless of friction, a single engine revolution will turn the prop the exact same turns. More friction means more fuel, but the same number of rpms generates the same number of prop turns.

Gordon
Old 10-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
For those who think they know all.

Before 60 ml of Militec/liter of oil 1850 RPM 7.2/7,5 knts
Now 1850 7.6/7.9 knts

If you don't believe go and try. And yes, Militec was first made to clean weapons or to grease moving machinery until your glorious army boys started to put it in their cars and trucks. Don't think I am ignorant or want to sell snake oil. Do not under estimate my inteligence. Go and ask your Navy engineers.

There are some funny boys around here now. Maybe is time to go back to the sea or change Forum.

Cheers
Portuguese, I for one am not doubting what you say quite so readily. I suspect the product you are referring to is similar to a product called Bi-Tron sold via network marketing in the late 90s, early 2000s, and it was derived from oil technology developed by the Russians during their own period of trying to win the un-winable war in Afghanistan, when the Mujahideen kept blowing open the sumps of their tanks with mines. They found a way to positively charge the oil so it clung better to the negatively charged engine and gearbox components, thus allowing then to limp home with no free oil in the sumps at all without destroying the mechanicals.

It is a principle that does work, and in fact Bi-tron sort of died when Castrol brought out Magnatec, using the same principle for reduced cold start up wear, and I still use Magnatec Diesel for that reason, as I was also so impressed with Bi-Tron, until we couldn't get it. Also most of the synthetic oils in use now tap into the same science I gather, so that is why they are superior to the simple organic, or so-called, dino oils.

Is sounds to me this Militec is another version of this product. The guff on their website is a bit over the top, but essentially it appears they are achieving this same metal protection in a way similar to Bi-tron, with the important bit being it is charged in such a way as to remain attracted to the metal, and is not just an 'additive' in the usual sense of the word, (even if incorporation into the actual metal surface is maybe a bit far-fetched), and as such does further reduce friction, and may well give some performance enhancement. It is not just a snake oil, that much I can certainly accept. Whether it would be better than modern synthetic oils is open to question, but may well work as well, added to the so-called dino oils, and be cheaper than full synthetics. That I could believe.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
I think I have the answer on the first run with out snake oil portuguese was going up hill 1850 RPM 7.2/7,5 knts the second run with the snake oil 1850 7.6/7.9 knts was down hill all makes sense now how silly am I not to have worked that out before
Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I think I have the answer on the first run with out snake oil portuguese was going up hill 1850 RPM 7.2/7,5 knts the second run with the snake oil 1850 7.6/7.9 knts was down hill all makes sense now how silly am I not to have worked that out before
Gaston, you go into the naughty corner, and while you're there, read my post above. You might have missed it, or jumped over it the first time because it had a few too many words maybe..?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Gaston, you go into the naughty corner, and while you're there, read my post above. You might have missed it, or jumped over it the first time because it had a few too many words maybe..?

I did read your post boring as it was but please explain to me how a boat engine running at 1850rpm can go faster with snake oil at the same 1850 rpm

Old 10-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
I did read your post boring as it was but please explain to me how a boat engine running at 1850rpm can go faster with snake oil at the same 1850 rpm

Yes, I take your point, but maybe lower gearbox friction losses might allow for that. However, the main point was for everyone to lighten up on the sarcasm, that's all.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 AM   #31

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:

+1

Sorry but there is magic and there are numbers... same revolution, same transmission, same propeller... 1850 rpm will be 1850 rpm with oil, without oil, with synthetic or even olive oil.

Not my intend to be bad but honestly think about it.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #32

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:

Roger that Gaston, loud and clear! That's what it says in the Bible, anyway, my favorite version being the Propeller Handbook.
Portugese, instead of getting your feathers so ruffled, why don't you prove your claims?
If Militech gives your motor more hp for a given amount of fuel, (The only way you would see any gains) then it may have some value, at least in the short term.
The big marine engine manufacturers put huge money into R&D, and if they thought this stuff would make their motors look good, I'm sure they would spec it.
Has adding the Militech affected the WOT rpm?
I realize that few trawler operators run their boats at WOT, but it is a good baseline check to know what it will turn, and check from time to time to verify that it still does, and of course to verify vague claims.
For me and my engine, slow and steady that we are, it's not worth risking any damage from a non-spec additive in exchange for nebulous results.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:03 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I think there is something in what kapnd says about the proof being in the fuel used to operate the boat in identical conditions at identical rpm using precise fuel measuring.
I believe Nulon deglazed my bores because the blue smoke stopped. I`m not about to dismantle the engine, twice, to check.
Portuguese is satisfied there is a performance improvement. Achieving the test procedure protocols is probably quite impractical for most mere mortals. Especially if wear and longevity have to be factored in. And it seems to me the doubters don`t mind setting a test known to be largely impractical except for a test laboratory,unlikely to be implemented, and probably altogether too much bother.
Looks like a stand off. Accept or reject? We get to choose.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #34

City: São Carlos
What is Militec-1
Militec-1 is a chemical treatment of metals. It is mixed to the lubricant, but it is not reagent with this.
Above 38 degrees, it moves of the oil for the metal, reacting chemically with the same.

It reduces the attrition in at least 70%
It creates a protection anti-supporter
IT creates an anti-corrosive protection
Deva
Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
What is Militec-1
Militec-1 is a chemical treatment of metals. It is mixed to the lubricant, but it is not reagent with this.
Above 38 degrees, it moves of the oil for the metal, reacting chemically with the same.

It reduces the attrition in at least 70%
It creates a protection anti-supporter
IT creates an anti-corrosive protection
Deva
Those are the claims. You can read about it here. I'd never heard of this particular product before, but am familiar with the concept...

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner
Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #36

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
I've ran Lucas oil additive into my road diesels and gas and was always happy with how the motor lasted. In my gearbox if I need a heavy weight oil I would use royal purple. In my Jeep up in Maine in the winter she shifted like butter. I would use it on the water to.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Nothing new about Militec's claims. For engines with badly wearing crank bushings and journals it may help fill in the loose/low spots. Maybe even tighten up rings. The recommended dosage costs about $4 per quart of oil. Moly lube products can perform similarly.

Some of these products can plug up oil passages due to the binders' affinity for carbon. This is why it is a good gun and cannon cleaner.

In the old days many products including heavier oil were used to quiet down and reduce oil burn smoke in an engine during a sale process. My diesel engines are industrial diesels. They are noisey by design. They do not smoke or leave soot on the transom. After an oil change the CCV system runs cleaner for awhile. Normal healthy diesel operation as I see it. DELO 400 every 300 hours - so far so good.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Portuguese, best way I can put it is I`m agnostic about oil additives.
Years ago I put a molybdenum additive in the manual gearbox of an Austin Healey, the improvement in shifting and gear noise was amazing.
Six years ago my genset got glazed when unintentionally I ran it no load for an extended period, the "load" eutectic compressor had died, unbeknown to me. Nulon, an Aussie oil company,claimed their diesel oil additive used at double strength will fix it, and it did. I keep using it at the normal ratio.
Based on that, I`m inclined to respect your experience.
Was it their Stop a Smoke product you used?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Was it their Stop a Smoke product you used?
I suggest you read the "Sarcasm and Intolerance" thread.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:10 AM   #40
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm usually quite direct in my comments and I know I'm no paragon of virtue but holy crap you guys...