Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

City: Spring Lake
mast removal/cut

Had to take the mast down in order to have the boat taken out of the water. My bow prop decided to go swimming.
I'm wondering how much of the bottom of the mast can I cut of before I run into a hollow mast without the wood filler.
I need to clear a bridge and I know that I'm right at the max in hight. So if I cut a foot of, will that get me into trouble.
One other thing. How can I assure myself the bow thruster prop won't decide to fly of again. Is there a way to fasten it other than just the little allen set bolt that sits in the prop plastic. That is a costly repair.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Had to take the mast down in order to have the boat taken out of the water. My bow prop decided to go swimming.
I'm wondering how much of the bottom of the mast can I cut of before I run into a hollow mast without the wood filler.
I need to clear a bridge and I know that I'm right at the max in hight. So if I cut a foot of, will that get me into trouble.
One other thing. How can I assure myself the bow thruster prop won't decide to fly of again. Is there a way to fasten it other than just the little allen set bolt that sits in the prop plastic. That is a costly repair.
Is this a bridge that you go under on a regular basis"

What does the manufacturer recommend about tightning the allen screw/locktite, etc...etc?????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Have you considered building a tabernacle and stirrup for the mast?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Mast , boom . Purpose ?

I am on a river and have several air draft issues. So currently the mast , boom and poles for the paravanes are off the boat. I will re rig if when there be a point.

I see alot of "Trawlers" out there and I have to wonder how many actualy have a need for the mast ?

Just wonderin
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Guru

I made a slick and very fast rig to lower my mast to what I call "half mast" position to get me under 19 ft (I have to thank Rich Gano as he has a sililar rig). I kept it at half mast for the entire Erie, Oswego, and Trent Severn trip. Sunday it will have to be lowered again for the return trip.

IF you cut it, can you cut the top instead of the bottom? Then you may only have shape to deal with, and not worry about cutting structure out of the base.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
I see alot of "Trawlers" out there and I have to wonder how many actualy have a need for the mast ?

Just wonderin
We use our mast and boom all the time. Not long after buying the boat we replaced the boom fall and topping lift single sheave blocks (teak) that were original to the boat with composite double sheave blocks. This made it a lot easier to launch and retreive the sailing dinghy that sits in a cradle on our aft cabin top. For our everyday shoreboat we mounted a 9' Livingston with a 4hp 4-stroke Yamaha on the swimstep and launched and recovered it using brute strength on the end of a short line clipped to a U-bolt on the outboard gunwale.

It took another ten years before the light came on, but it finally dawned on me that if we replaced the boom fall that came with the boat with a 100' boom fall we could use the mast and boom to launch and retrieve the Livingston without having to reposition the boom from its 45-degree position. We have a swivel mount for the outboard on the Livingston so the mast and boom became a poor-man's Seawise Davit. So now launching and recovering the Livingston is a one-hand operation as opposed to a two-person operation.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Mast is necessary for the fore-and-aft sails, and is convenient for hanging the radar antenna, lightning rod, and VHF antenna.

The mast has a tabernacle, but the mast is not the easiest to lower/raise as it's quite heavy.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Some hang radar relectors (I've no need since the Coot is made of steel) and TV antennas, and if needed, a bell on their masts.

And some will link their stabilizing paravanes to their mast.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Mast , boom . Purpose ?

I am on a river and have several air draft issues. So currently the mast , boom and poles for the paravanes are off the boat. I will re rig if when there be a point.

Just wonderin
I have no mast so I suppose there's no need for one, but if I had one, it would be a good place for the anchor light, stern light, and the TV antenna.

But, It would be one more thing to lower when I go under a low bridge.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Guru

No mast either. It wasn't there when I bought the boat and although I had plans to build one, I soon realised I really didn't need one and could use the space on the flybridge in a more efficient manner (added some seats up there and used the mast base to install a table. I kept all the hardware so the next owner can easily put a mast back if he wants). If I was doing some serious full-time cruising it might be a different story as I would most likely have a radar and other equipments.

To answer the OP's original question, I don't see the problem in making your mast shorter. You will have to adjust the stays and possibly have the sail recut (if you use it at all).
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

Just what is a Tabernacle on a mast? I do need the mast, it supports my Radar and running lights. I also use the boom to haul my outboard motor. If I were to cut 1 foot of the bottom of the mast, I could make the bridge.
I would be very interested in the "(I have to thank Rich Gano as he has a sililar rig)"
I spoke with the manufacturer of the bow thruster and they did not mention anything about Lock Tite. I think the issue lies with the fact that the prop is plastic and after some time gives up the holding strength on the bolt. The plastic is some real strong stuff, but it's still plastic
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Enigma

Greetings,
* Tabernacle - (Boating): Definition

Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Just what is a Tabernacle on a mast?

It's a mast hinge that allows for lowering & raising of the mast. Most are at the base of the mast, but I suppose a few might be a little higher up.

How easy it would be to self-lower and self-raise any mast would be dependent on the weight of the mast and the attached goodies.

Changing your mast height would alter the weight dynamics on the lift of a dink, as well as the pull on the mast stays. I doubt a foot is an issue, but just know that it changes things, even if ever so little.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:

One of the first things I did after buying the Eagle was cut the top of the mast down about 3 ft to be able to make it under the bridges. The mast had a hollow center all the way down which is the reason there is a round top/cap on top. We store/have the dink on top of the salon roof so we use the mast and boom.

As to the set screw for the bow thrust prop, I would use Loc Tite to glue the screw in. In the plant we Loc Tite most the nuts/screws. You can buy at automotive stores. Make sure you buy/use the right Loc tite for your application as there are several.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I still have all the rig and some day maybee if I get the chance to get out there the rig will go back on. It also had the bells and whistles mounted on it.

But removal sure made cruisin the inside waters a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
invader_0003.jpg   dockside invader.jpg  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
..............One other thing. How can I assure myself the bow thruster prop won't decide to fly of again. Is there a way to fasten it other than just the little allen set bolt that sits in the prop plastic. That is a costly repair.
Ask the manufacturer?

How does it attach to the shaft? Screws on and then held in place with a set screw or slides on and held in place with a set screw?

If it screws on, is there enough room to put a nut on after the prop and tighten them against each other?

If it slides on, can you use a drill to make a small "cup" in the shaft for the set screw to sink into?

Is there enough shaft length to drill a hole for a cotter pin to retain the prop?

If you don't have to remove the prop for maintenance (painting, etc.) can you put thread locking compound on the prop and shaft as well as the set screw?

That's the best I can do without seeing it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #17

Ron.
The boat is back in the water. The prop slips on and a set screw holds it in place. This fall I will take the lower leg of the bow thruster and drill a hole all the way through the shaft for a cotter key. $425 for the prop and shipping is not some thing I care to do each season. I have only one bridge to traverse. So by cutting a foot of the bottom I will be OK. In order to step the mast with a pivot mechanism I have to raise the pivot up 2 feet so that the mast will be above the safety rails.
All will be a winter project but worth it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

RT, thanks for the blue print. I will work on something this winter that will allow me to step the mast quickly.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. sunvale. You're welcome but not really a blueprint as such just a representation of what a tabernacle could look like.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Ron.
The boat is back in the water. The prop slips on and a set screw holds it in place. This fall I will take the lower leg of the bow thruster and drill a hole all the way through the shaft for a cotter key. .
You might be able to do that in place with a right angle drill. Not in the water, but without taking the thruster apart.

Tags
air draft, mast, tabernacle