Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
Marlon vs Bronze seacocks

My 30 year old Taiwanese Trawler, is in need of new seacocks. Several are frozen closed (not those for the engine cooling or generator).

The current bronze seacocks are bonded, but I was wondering what is the general consensus(as if that exists)? We had Marlon seacocks on our old sailboat, and they performed as we’ll after 29 years as when new, with the added advantage that bonding wasn’t necessary.

I’d like to replace the seacocks when I haul out early 2019 to paint the bottom.

VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I replaced a thru hull and seacock and replaced with bronze thru hull and marelon seacock, with a diverter valve above the marelon fitting for salt water wash down/toilet water supply through the same thru hull. My only concern is that it not be in a place where it would be subjected to contact that might break or damage the fitting. If it's in an out of the way and protected place (as mine is) it should be fine. If exposed I would be concerned about it. JMO

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'll use Marelon or Bronze above water. Below water, Bronze. I know that Marelon is NOT Nylon, but I've seen too many nylon through-hulls snap. The idea that a seacock could potentially snap with no means to stop the ingress of water is like a "Pucker Factor: 10" for me.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Try beating on one with a sledge...it will convince you how tough they are.

The bottom of the boat is only cheap glass and polyester.... Lesser materials than the Marelon.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #5

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
I went thru all 16 sea cocks on my trawler. Most were frozen. In all I cleaned up and used all but one. The old style barrel ones will last longer than the boat.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...s-10447-1.html
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
I went thru all 16 sea cocks on my trawler. Most were frozen. In all I cleaned up and used all but one. The old style barrel ones will last longer than the boat.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...s-10447-1.html
16?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Marelon seacocks are well proven.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Do you really need to replace the seacocks? What type of seacocks are they?

If they are tapered cone type they can probably be refurbished easily.

If they are ball valve seacocks you can probably just break them free and maybe grease them.

If they are the old Groco rubber plug style, replace them.

My two cents on seacock material, Iím not a fan of plastic seacocks. Iíve seen several of the stems that connect the ball to the handle break. Iím also not impressed with Foresparís customer service. To be fair my dislike of Forespar Customer Service goes back more than twenty years. They are probably better now or they would be out of business.

If you want plastic consider the ones distributed by Raritan. Sorry I canít remember the name but they are made in New Zeland.

My choice for a new Seacock would be Grocoís SBV US made bronze ball valve. seacock.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"The idea that a seacock could potentially snap with no means to stop the ingress of water is like a "Pucker Factor: 10" for me."

A properly installed sea cock is BOLTED in place and does not require a thru hull to remain in place.

If you can jump on the sea cock it should be strong enough.

The tapered bronze are the best as the can be rebuilt multiple times with little effort, or expense.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
A CG and ABYC compliant seacock will take 500 lbs at right angles for 10 minutes applied to its extreme dimension. That doesn't mean you can't break it.

I see many installations of Marelon ball valves on top of a thru hull which people call a "seacock". It is not, and Forespar does not call that a seacock or make any representations for that installation. It does not meet any standard. The Marelon seacocks that are compliant are the integrated ones with a three corner bolted down base. These meet the CG and ABYC standards. They have another compliant line often seen in production boats but these are sold OEM only, not at any chandlers, though you can occasionally find them.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Lots of plastic around the world yachts down this way have plastic thru hulls and plastic valves but I suspect itís about weight saving (and unlike most of our boats the hulls are too thin to accept a bolt). My understanding is that the off shore blue water and cat 1 boats also have to have wooden tapered bung attached to every under water thru hull to be compliant along with a collar (if plastic is used) to transfer the operating load over a wider area of the hull and reduce the load on the through hull. I could post a pic if anyoneís interested.
BeeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #12
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
While my experience with Marlon has been positive I used all Spartan bronze seacocks on my current boat. If you keep them greased with Spartan grease and pull them apart for a check, cleaning and grease every year or so they'll last a lifetime. Also I never leave the boat without closing all seacocks, not only might it prevent a calamity but it's good practice to exercise them frequently. I also keep appropriately sized wooden plugs attached somewhere handy by each seacock in the event of an unforeseen failure. Spartan bronze is right down the road apiece from me at Robinhood Marine and while expensive their stuff is top notch, actually made by local craftsmen.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Spartan bronze is right down the road apiece from me at Robinhood Marine and while expensive their stuff is top notch, actually made by local craftsmen.
I've been there are seen their work. Absolutely top quality.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I agree with 'are you sure you need to replace them?'
I thought some of mine were frozen - somebody smarter than me told me to pump the brakes and make sure they can't be serviced before replacing them.

Turns out, if they're the tapered cone variety (likely from the age of your boat), they are almost surely still serviceable. Take them apart when the boat is hauled. Get some lapping compound from spartan marine, and some of their seacock grease. Do them a service and you'll be golden for years. It'll take a lot less time & money than getting new ones.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Take them apart when the boat is hauled. Get some lapping compound from spartan marine,"

A turn or so in the lock nut will usually allow the tapered bronze sea cock to be tapped loose enough to turn while afloat.

So what if it leaks for a few seconds.

Retighten the lock nut , and try to not operate the unit as the growth that jammed it may scratch the tapered bore.

Fine grade "valve grinding" compound is at most auto parts store, in a small tin.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seacocks