Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Guru

Manual Head Lube

Not sure this deserves its own thread, but it`s a useful tip.
Somewhere along the line,the original Raritan electric head was replaced with a Jabsco manual pump type. The pump began requiring herculean strength to operate and squealed like a banshee. Proprietary cleaner/lubricants did nothing. A friend used the head and advised put a splash of cooking oil in the bowl and pump it through, as he had on his boat to fix the same issue. We had only extra (is that possible) virgin olive oil on board, tried it, immediate transformation to smooth, quiet, easy operation. I hope the seals are ok with it, they are so far. I figure any vegetable cooking oil is ok, keeping the extra virgin olive oil for salads.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
For what it's worth: I use Kraft Italian salad dressing. It's got great emulsifiers. Works like a charm and it's under $2.00 at your local grocery store.

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I was talking to Dale from Raritan about this exact subject yesterday. He seemed to think putting a little vinegar down the toilet might help prevent build up in the hose.
It's not strong enough to remove a heavy buildup. They sell a chemical for that, Raritan CH (Cleans Hoses). They are very clever with names!

We both agreed that oil down a toilet that goes to a holding tank or treatment system is not a great idea. You don't want an oil slick on top of the Stuff in your holding tank. It will cut off the air that the good bacteria need to prevent odors.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
............. We both agreed that oil down a toilet that goes to a holding tank or treatment system is not a great idea. You don't want an oil slick on top of the Stuff in your holding tank. It will cut off the air that the good bacteria need to prevent odors.
It may also coat the sides of the tank and cause solids to stick to the tank.

I use the stuff sold for lubricating manual heads. West Marine carries it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
12 years of giving the hoses a good ckeaning with orox spray and let sit for a couple of hours and rinse before tank is pumped. We get pumped every week. After 12 years hoses are clear no odor.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
12 years of giving the hoses a good ckeaning with orox spray and let sit for a couple of hours and rinse before tank is pumped. We get pumped every week. After 12 years hoses are clear no odor.
That's fine but it's not a response to the original post. He has a manual head that's difficult to pump.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Guru

The suggestion vinegar removes deposits makes sense of Island Eagle using salad dressing, typically oil and vinegar. Maybe it depends on why the seals are sticking and reluctant to move, without considerable force. Could it be salt build up, the head uses salt water. My friend who recommended oil confirms oil works for him, long term.
Blue toilet conditioners like Starbrite were ineffective, after a week I had scum deposits in the bottom of the bowl I don`t otherwise get and definitely no fresh clean smell.
Makes me wish Peggy had not got offended and left us.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's fine but it's not a response to the original post. He has a manual head that's difficult to pump.

Sure it is. Kill the growth and clean the toilet hose and odor
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
To me it`s a mechanical issue with the movement of the pump plunger/seals. Lubricating it by putting oil in the bowl and pumping it thru was an instant fix. If oil instantly kills growth you could be right about growth, otherwise that`s not it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
To me it`s a mechanical issue with the movement of the pump plunger/seals. Lubricating it by putting oil in the bowl and pumping it thru was an instant fix. If oil instantly kills growth you could be right about growth, otherwise that`s not it.
I

I will see your instant fix and raise you twelve years of long term permanent fix.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Guru

BruceK, we may not have Peggy but I've read her book. Putting oil in the toilet actully does work for a short time and if you are flushing directly overboard it doesn't seem to cause a problem. It's when you put a lot of oil into a holding tank or through a treatment system that you can have problems.

The idea of putting oil in the toilet goes back to the time of leather cups in marine toilets. When you pumped oil through the toilet the leather would absorb some of it and the lubrication would last for some time. It doesn't last long in modern toilets that use rubber orings instead of cup leathers.

The correct way (according to Jabsco) to lubricate a manual toilet is to once a year remove the pump from the base and smear some grease up in the cylinder. Jabsco recommends Vaseline, a lot of people use Super Lube Teflon Grease, I like to use a silicone grease that specifically says it's safe on rubber.

Peggy is in favor of putting some white vinegar in the toilet. I don't think it will clean the build up out of an old hose but if used often it might slow the build up in a new hose.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
No, it is not. The OP's problem is with the pump. Not the hose and not odor.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Peggy will respond to email(on her schedule). She and I have enjoyed some pleasant conversations that way since her retirement from the forums.

She is a very genuine nice person.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
For a short term fix I use a little bit of Veg oil added to the bowl and flush it through.

For a longer term fix I disasemble the plunger , valve and fixins. Clean em all up and use a little grease when putting back together. I also remove the calcium from around the duck valve at the same time. Some times it takes several years before the need.

Lots of water through the system prior and having a wet dry vac helps keep the mess down. Do not over tourque any fastenings. Manual Jabsco Toilet. My experience with.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
..................For a longer term fix I disasemble the plunger , valve and fixins. Clean em all up and use a little grease when putting back together. ..............
That's the best way. These heads do not last forever. It's a plastic cylinder and if you ever manage to suck up some sand, you may score the walls of the pump.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The manufacture in its owners manual recommends using cooking oil to lube the head from time to time.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Guru

My thanks to those taking the trouble to suggest, and explain, actions which may help. Much appreciated.
In August 2011 the boat was on the hard next to another which was sandblasted with woefully inadequate shielding. Sand got everywhere, including the head (or "dunny", as we often call it here), the issue dates from about then. I put a repair kit through it to no effect. Scored walls, as Ron suggests, I suspect.Time to carry a spare pump assembly when cruising, I think.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #18
Guru

If it's a Jabsco manual toilet don't bother with rebuilding it. You can buy a complete new pump assembly for just a few dollars more than a rebuild kit.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
FF
Guru

The rebuild kit for mt W-C "Skipper II" cost what a plastic throw away costs.

But 2 decades from now it will still be working ,,

And it "dies slow" so there is at least a couple of years to order another rebuild kit from Defender.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Guru

FF, The Skipper was a magnificent toilet. Unfortunately no one is making parts for it anymore. Grab a couple of kits now if you can find them and it will outlast you.