Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Maintenance Tips

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
"Stone, YES the snow slides. See pics. First is off the house."

Eric - After looking at all the first pictures, I started feeling "wow, what a great place to live". After looking at these last pix with the snow, I have to rethink that!:smile:

It really is beautiful where you are, but I can certainly understand the "rock fever". Temperature doesn't matter though, we certainly got it when I lived in St Croix, and I understand it is very common in Hawaii !

*Carl, with your being an architect and me being a developer, you are probably as interested as I am in the foundations in Eric's area.* Maybe you and Eric can help me out.* I am still curious as to how frost heaving under the slab is controlled.* It seams to me that it would have to be a tensioned floating slab to keep it from cracking.* The only other explaination I can think of is that*a porous*rock base is deep enough to pass water through before it freezes.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #22
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I was shocked by your sat. dish angle!! *Here in Washington State our dish elevation is around 33 degrees. *Yours appears, from the picture, to be nearly horizontal? *Who is the service provider, *I couldn't make out the company name? *Any problems with rain fade or signal strength that far north?

Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I guess no more boating tips????
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

There must be a connection to boating, just can't see it. Oh I know. How about building a boat under that covered area?

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
windmist wrote:
There must be a connection to boating, just can't see it. Oh I know. How about building a boat under that covered area?

Ron
*The shed is where Eric stores his Amorall that he puts on his prop.* Now, you do see the connection?
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
I was shocked by your sat. dish angle!! *Here in Washington State our dish elevation is around 33 degrees. Larry B
This is why if you buy a Tracvision or other similar antenna system for your boat*you have to spend more than twice the amount if you are going to want to use it up the coast in BC and SE Alaska.**According to our marine electronics dealer an*antenna suitable for tracking satellites in the San Juans and Gulf Islands can be smaller and does not have to have the "depression" ability*required of an antenna for the more northern waters.* The cost difference between the "southern" antenna and the "northern" antenna is more than double.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Stone says "but as to the rest of the slab not cracking"...You guys must be thinking there's more to it. There is no slab. But Stone also says "I'm still scratchin' my head with the concrete pads just lying on the surface". Just like in the previous picture w the cute little red head girl all there is is the 2X2' "bases" at the bottom of the posts. Nothing more. Is there something wrong w that?

OK John. Boating tip. Untie the mooring lines AND the power cord before engaging the gear. Seems obvious but it took me quite a while to learn that.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote