Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Sliding window weatherstrip.

This has gotta' be one of the oldest, oft repeated queries. I've spent a few minutes Googling, enough to convince me that I don't know the correct terminology.

We've got 5 horizontally sliding glass windows on the '84 Fu Hwa. One glass panel slides and the other is fixed in place. Unlike last weeks call for a chemistry expert, our single tracks for the movable glass panel are stainless steel and it looks as though the pile-faced plastic channel simply snaps into the stainless steel which has a rolled edge forming the catch for the 'P-F PC'.

Of the five windows, one of the four under the 'Europa' overhang has its sliding panel replaced with plastic. These four window have old weatherstrip in vaguely adequate condition. The fifth is exposed to weather and is over the galley counter; it apparently caused distress to a PO and was glued shut with silicone. I found the missing finger pull, happily before I made a new one, cut the silicone out and reattached the pull. The panel slides but the weatherstrip came out in clumps.

These windows look rectangular but are actually trapezoidal, so replacing the plastic panel with tinted safety glass will be more bother.

Three edges of the sliding panel are the aforementioned stainless channel with a channel-shaped snap-in pile-faced weatherstrip. The fourth edge is a stainless channel glued onto the fixed glass with, presumably, a snap-in pile-faced weatherstrip.

Whew!

So, what's the stuff called? Anybody got a source? Anybody done the replacement? Do I have to disassemble the whole shebang to replace the plastic panel and the weatherstrip?
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Front window weatherstrip, waterproofing, and construction.

This is the other oft-queried subject.

We have two fixed windows facing forward and one which is top-hinged. We also have two fixed 'quarter' windows. All are safety glass. All are sealed into/under their (now-painted) Teak frames. Three or four are chronic leakers with the usual failed interior plywood.

What is the favored way to fix these things? I presume (but dread) total disassembly and resealing from the exterior. What is the cross section through the assembly? Is the whole game here a decent sealant between glass and its exterior trim? Wouldn't it be dandy if the exterior fiberglass was moulded inward to form a recess into which the glass was sealed?

As an architect, I'm accustomed to sills and jambs made with interior drains and weatherstripping/flashing. The caulks and sealants can fail but the interior design saves your bacon.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Go to crlaurence.com and search for "glass run channel". I'm using this to replace the old channel inserts on my Bayliner sliding windows. There are a few different sizes so good measurements are important.
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"Wouldn't it be dandy if the exterior fiberglass was moulded inward to form a recess into which the glass was sealed?"

Dandy,,, but very hard to do as glass does not like sharp 90 deg corners like 30lb felt does. And small water rots the plywood wall very easily

Sadly the solution is to remove the units , see if they can be rebuilt , or replace them with genuine marine opening ports.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #5
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Defender Industries in Waterford, CT carries the stainless channel with weather strip.I have not noticed the weatherstrip sold seperatly.

Rob