Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Transom Patch

I had a transom shower setup which had a broken hatch, cracked fiberglass casing and a faucet that constantly leaked. Since I *never have, and probably never will take a shower on my swim step, I ripped everything out. I am now left with a hole in my transom measuring about 16" square. I figure the easiest way to cover this defect is to put a piece of 1/4 inch FRP panel over it, but I can't find any G10/F4 panel with a smoth surface, preferably with a white gel coat surface (although I could just paint it if it's a smooth surface). I don't want Starboard since it cannot be painted. The FRP panels that are available from McMaster/Grainger/etc. have a random fiber pattern on the surface and are not smooth. Anyone have a source for a smooth 1/4" FRP panel around 24" X 24"?*

Thanks,

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
RE: Transom Patch

I would just make one with a little gel coat and some glass...but if you go to a marina...boat builder..marine electronics installer....*you can usually find scraps where someone is adding a tackle locker or electronics.

How about white plexiglass?* Either way it's still gonna look like a patch unless you put some kind of other access cover over it to make it look like it's supposed to be there.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
RE: Transom Patch

Make your own the exact size you want. Form up a simple mold on a flat surface (4 pieces of scrap lumber), line it with wax paper. Mix some white pigment into the resin and lay up a couple layers of cloth in the resin. As my father used to say - Q E D. If you want to get really fancy, pour a shallow layer of gelcoat first.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote