Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Let's talk bilge painting

Quote:
Carey wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Delfin wrote:

White is available, but the minimum order is 5,000 gallons, and you would need a really big screw driver to open the can.
Maybe we could do a group buy.*OK, if were going to do a group buy, we'll need to come to a consensus on the color. White is so, last year, and we all have different engine colors to deal with. Black won't do, as we really need all the light we can get in the engine room. Caterpillar Yellow works for me, and I think that might work with the John Deeres, but it might be a bit clownish with the Lehmans. I guess something in a Mauve would be chic, and coordinate well with most engine room curtains. What say you all???

Let the Admirals form a committee and decide?

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Peter: You represent the vast majority.

I get into a lot of different boats in my CCGA Courtesy Examiner coveralls. In 15 years of doing these inspections at a "high end" yacht club, I can count on the fingers of one hand the boats with a clean bilge. (I exclude from this gross generalization any boats over 20m, as they get inspected by the real CG, not amateurs like me).

All others fail the anal test. Most have a little water sloshing around, with various engine liquids floating on top. Some smell awful.

Those owners who show obvious pride in their boat, show it in the bilge as well, but rarely to the extent of a pristine cleanup.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Woodsong:

Aross- mind posting any close up pics of your paint job?

The more I hang out here and talk to you guys the more I am thinking about painting my topsides myself along with the bilge!

If anyone else has pics of their painted bilge and what they used I'd love to see it. The rostoleum is sounding pretty good- maybe even better than the engine spray paint idea.

Woodsong, this is a pic I took when the job was done. Sorry I don't have any current closeups, but it is still holding up.* As I recall, I used 2-3 quarts of the Rustoleum, and with filler, etc. I think the whole job cost $50-60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00004.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	4280  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I read though all the posts. I don't think the prep work was discussed nearly enough.

When last I painted my bilge. I don't know about yours but there was a lot of oil and such in mine. It is hard to get any paint to stick to that. my solution was a good scrubbing with TSP. Trisodium Phosphate. Local hardware stores Have it.

It sure worked on my application and not so good where I missed.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Another vote for gelcoat. When the motor was out and we were redoing through hulls, we sanded (lightly) the existing coating, faired a few rough areas, wiped the whole thing down twice with acetone (lots of ventilation) and 2 coats of gelcoat. Looks great; easy to clean with Joy and water.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I would to do gelcoat but just don't see that being possible with all the stuff in the engine room. If I was pulling the motor then yes, I'd go that route, but I think to try and do this around existing equipment, paint will be the easiest way.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

with the avatar that way you don't have a bilge just an overhead.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

with the avatar that way you don't have a bilge just an overhead.

SD
No, the bilge is now the overhead or the overhead is now the bilge or both or.....pleeeease uncapsize your avatar.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Cleaning the bilge - I used everything. Dawn dishwashing in a spray bottle works well. Ultimately the best degreaser for oil, diesel and dirt is Zep purple from Home Depot. I tried Simple Green, Greased Lightning and Totally Awesome (from the dollar store, not bad). But the Zep in a plant sprayer and plenty of paper towels, oil pads and rags. Once I got all of the grease and oil off, I sprayed the entire bilge with Awl Gard. You can also paint or roll it on. It is a two part, or actually three part if you need to thin it with ionized water. Great stuff. You need respirator for this. It's water based, and you need to wipe with acetone before painting. This product is made especially for engine rooms. Very expensive, but worth every penny. It creates a very hard finish that oil, dirt, water, diesel can't penetrate. I'm very happy I used this. I am a bit anal and figured once I do this, I don't want to do it again and I want it to look and stay clean.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #30
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Let's talk bilge painting

Well, started painting the bilge today...definitely didn't get it all but got some done after a bunch of degreasing and cleaning. *Should hopefully help with odors too?? *

My 8, almost 9, year old son was a big help and we had a lot of fun working together today, interspersed with some good fishing on the dock! *You can see a picture of him down in the bilge with a stiff brush scraper to scrape up the loose old paint before vacuum of bilge and degreasing. *Also attached are some before and after pics. *The forward bilge pic where you can also see the holding tank...the "before" pic of that one was actually taken just before we bought the boat last August...you may notice the different water pump for the HVAC since the old one died! **

I opted to go with oil based rustoleum in their stock grey color...figuring I will never have a spotless bilge so why drive myself crazy with a white bilge??? ***We'll see...maybe I'll switch to white.

P.S. I can attest that things will be better for you, should you elect to paint your bilge, if you refrain from knocking over the quart can of paint you are using while in the bilge! Luckily it was only 1/2 full but it made for a panicked moment for a bit!! *

-- Edited by Woodsong on Saturday 9th of July 2011 08:35:11 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forward bilge painted.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6618   Click image for larger version

Name:	forward bilge before.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	6619   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bilge 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	6620   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bilge before.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	6621   Click image for larger version

Name:	caleb bilge 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	6622  

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

OMG...no..no...no...let's not talk bilge painting. I'm nogonnadoit I tell you...I'm too old for that S***, I get a sore back, my knees creak, there's too much stuff in the way, and it all works looking just like it... and, and, and....Woodsong you are C R U E L.....! Take them down..quick...pul-lease.... I feel a stroke coming on...and it'll be all your fault... Damn, what's that stuff called again...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

PB, take an aspirin and call us back in the morning.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

No, it's ok, I'm over it now, and my bilge is staying just like it is. You know why - because my holding tank/bladder sits in a sling in the forward bilge, AND I AM NOT DISTURBING IT FOR ANYTHING...!

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote