Lehman 120hp raw water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyguamboy

I have a Ford Lehman 120hp on my trawler. I need to replace/retrofit the Jabsco raw water pump (5850-0001) because it was leaking. Has anyone done that? And can you offer recommendations/suggestions? I took mine off, took it apart, and can find nothing wrong. I plan on replacing the impeller, but that's it. I heard there is a Johnson pump out there, but can find no part number. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

The guys at American Diesel Corporation will have an answer for you. 804-435-3107. They are on Eastern Time.

There is an update. That replaces the water pump and water pump drive.

Thanks, motion30. That is what I am looking for. I heard that since the Jabsco model is faulty, the Johnson pump is the upgrade. But that's all the information they give. Do you know what the update is? Thanks again.

The pump it's self is not faulty it's the drive system. And while the upgrade is nice to have, I've seen the so called faulty pumps last decades without a problem. YMMV

It's the coupling that is the problem. Mine was fine so I replaced the seal, about $30, vs new pump for $450. It's a 20 minute job.

Thank, all. I fixed it. But it was after I purchased the $60 repair kit, that I ended up not using. When I took the pump apart, I found a rubber washer that was a bit mangled. I unmangled it, then put everything back. Knock on wood, it's no longer leaking. Just so you know ... that rubber washer was not in the repair kit. Again, thanks for your help, all.

Thanks, motion30. That is what I am looking for. I heard that since the Jabsco model is faulty, the Johnson pump is the upgrade. But that's all the information they give. Do you know what the update is? Thanks again.

As Capt. Bill says, the potential failure is not with the Jabsco pump but wiith the Lehman drive coupler that connects the Jabsco pump to the engine's accessory drive. The drive tang on the end of the coupler's drive shaft is prone (eventually) to cracking and then snapping off.

However.... this failure is not connected to leaks so far as I know. The drive tang cracks, and when it finally shears off, the Jabsco pump stops pumping right now. The engine will overheat big time if the rise in coolant temperature is not caught right away and the engine shut down.

The way to eliminate the risk of the drive coupler's failure is to replace it and the Jabsco pump with a single-unit Johnson pump. I don't know the part number but a good diesel shop familiar with FL120s will. Or call Bob or Brian Smith at American Diesel.

If you hvae a leaking pump, the leak will most likely either be through the cover plate seal or the rear driveshaft seal. The Jabsco pump can be rebuilt with new seals, impeller, wear plate, etc. Or you can still buy a brand new one (I believe).

When we discovered the drive tang on the Lehman drive coupler of our port engine was starting to crack (at 2,000 plus hours) we elected to replace the raw water pump system on both engines with Johnson pumps. (see photo)

The failure of the Lehman drive coupler's drive tang is not tied ot any particular number of hours. They can crack after just a couple thousand hours, as on our engine, or they can go for many years and many thousands of hours with no problems. It's a total crap shoot.

The drive tang on our starboard drive coupler was fine, so we kept that coupler and its Jabsco pump to serve as a spare should we ever need one.

Attachments

• Johnson Pump.jpg
    Johnson Pump.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom