Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Leaks!! >:(

How do I fix leaks around the window without taking the windows out, would caulk work, and if so what kind of caulk???
deancrenshaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
3M 5200. however the leak may not be from around the window, but the frame and or the drain holes are plugged or need to be changed so water can not pool in the tracks. Finding and fixing leaks takes investigating, and trail/error.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by deancrenshaw55 View Post
How do I fix leaks around the window without taking the windows out, would caulk work, and if so what kind of caulk???
Mate read this

http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/WindowRepair.htm

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
I would not use 5200 as a caulk for a window. 3M says, "For bonding and sealing applications above and below the water line when removal at a later date is not anticipated." 5200 is about as permanent as you can get on a boat. If the window is not going to be removed, chances are, any repair will be temporary.

Here's a link to on leaking windows.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...eaks-8111.html
Attached Thumbnails
005 (3).jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

I have already used 5200 and I have had no success
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:

If you could give more detail and or picture we can help you better. If its as bad as the picture below then more the 5200 will be required.

5200 as permanent by any means. With a little elbow grease, flexible sharp putty knife and/or a wire wheel, 5200 can be removed. Every year I strip large areas/sections. Epoxy is what I consider permanent.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
If you want to do it right do it right. Take out the window and redo them or caulk the sh** out of them with any caulk you like for a quick temporary fix. At least it will tell you if the windows them selfs are leaking. Or it is coming in from else where and just showing up at the windows.

SD
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
There is no way around it. And it's not that bad. Take the frame and window apart. Rebuild the frame, replace the tracks, replace the rotted wood, caulk it carefully and put it all back together.

You're good for another 10 years.

They go by fast.

Repeat.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Depends on what any PO might have done to the windows...If there was any kind of adhesive caulk used...and depending on how the window was rebedded...good luck on a simple remval..out of 16 windows I replaced...I'd say it would have taken a majician to break less than 10 of the glass windows and 16 of the frames...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

I am about to sell the boat and I'd rather do just a quick fix.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
5200 is about the worst choice possible, as the OP has discovered. No UV resistance for one thing. It does sound like the frames are leaking, but at the very least the glass needs rebedding, using a poly sulfide glazing compound or butyl rubber. Whichever the root cause is, unless it is done the right way you accomplish nothing. Merely swabbing some sort of caulk around the window is a losing effort. Any kind of knowledgable buyer or their surveyor will see through the shoddy fix in an instant.
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

I am also thinking about using polybutylene, do any of you know if that would work?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deancrenshaw55
I am about to sell the boat and I'd rather do just a quick fix.
You would be better off and money ahead not to fix the leak at all and disclose it to the prospective buyer. When I looked at a boat with half assed repair work I left without explaining why. Harsh yes, but in my experience it was a waste of time and breath to explain that half ass repairs where worse than no repair at all.

Can't believe how many people waste time and money with 5200. There's no magic goo in a tube that will do the job right.

JMO YMMV

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
You would be better off and money ahead not to fix the leak at all and disclose it to the prospective buyer.
This is my vote too. Just leave it, tell the next owner about it, and let them fix it the way THEY want it done.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
This is my vote too. Just leave it, tell the next owner about it, and let them fix it the way THEY want it done.

If not repairing even 1/2 ass means there can/will be further damage then its better than doing nothing. There is a good chance the actual leak may not be from, around the window. The window is where its coming out.

So if does the leak change with the chance in the trim, pitch of the boat. Had one leak that changed with the pitch of the boat. If you can explain or give some detail it would help.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Boatlife polysulfide will kick off in the presence of moisture, so if that is present, it can work. Sikaflex 295 UV is designed for the purpose. 5200 would be a bad choice, but it sounds like you have already failed with that one.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
Grand Vizier

Quote:
I am also thinking about using polybutylene, do any of you know if that would work?
Don't think so. It might react with the Lexan, if that is what you have. Use the product designed for this job, which would be Sikaflex 295 UV, or a polysulfide. If moisture is present, use polysulfide. Taping is the biggest hassle, but also the key to a nice looking job.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You can try flowable silicone caulk. It's the consistency of cold honey and flows down into cracks etc., then cures up. It's clear and can be found at any auto parts place.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
If he uses silicone it will be a nightmare for the next owner. For a "quick/cheap and dirty" half vast repair, pretty well ANY caulk will do even that $3 a tube household stuff at Lowes. It won't last long and will probably look like crap and as mentioned anybody would see it for what it was but Mr. 55 has already attempted a repair which failed. Too late to just leave it. At least the cheap caulk should be easy to remove for the new owner AND it should temporarily stop the leak IF he can find the source. By all means disclose to prospective buyers.
I have had occasion to use El Cheapo caulk a few times. It served it's purpose until a proper repair was done.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #20
FF
Guru

s,
If he uses silicone it will be a nightmare for the next owner.

?????

Silicone is cheap , sticks to glass plexiglass or lexan , and the clear stuff scrapes off with the side of a chisel.

Great for a patch job , that will get a real repair "later".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote