Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #101
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Fly - this is rough as a cob - records are at my office.

I did as much as I could myself. I have a very cooperative yard. For reference purposes, I'll use my time as yard billable time.

The yard activities required were: defueling and storage, cabinetry disassembly and reassembly, old tank disconnect (electrical, mechanical, structural) and removal, hold-down bracket removal (through bolted to stringers) and replacement, transfer tank fittings to new tanks, remove and replace fuel lines (fill, vent, feed to ER manifold), clean the friggin bilge (guess who did that job?).

At their dock for 5-6 weeks, counting the time it took to figure out where the leak was.

$5,100 exclusive of material counting my time at yard grunt rates. Had them keep track so I'd feel better about the non-underway weekends spent cleaning bilges.

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #102
Guru

I don't have receipts handy, but the A1 fuel hoses and clamps were around $500.

Tanks: the independent guy I got to fab the tanks said he'd want $1500 each, retail, and he gets the old units for scrap. 150 usg, 66 x 32 x 16, 0.125" 5042 with fittings for fill, vent, feed, return, gage. Other prices quoted in FL, east coast, and the oil field marine support types (thought they might be hungry) all came in $2250 to 2600, and all specd 0.09 material, plus freight. Another guy and I hand carried them to the boat.

So $8600 out the door, with the lucky find of the local guy. Otherwise, you'd need to add a couple of boat bucks.

The problem is it's soooo boat specific. I could see the labor going wild if I'd have had to cut them out through the deck, or worse, hull. I've heard that happens sometimes.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #103
Guru

Fly - Interstingly enough, I've gotten two PMs on this from TFers whose handles you would recognize. Obviously, if they wanted to be identified, they would have posted here. Both are long term TFers and, in my judgement, reliable and experienced boaters.

The first congratulated me for being "lucky" with project. His 40+ footer with 2 leaking fuel tanks required going on the hard and hull cuts to remove/replace and the costs came in north of $27k.

The second has a Taiwan trawler, 55' or so from the pics. It has fuel tanks installed on the keel, using FG as the containment. Long story, but his problem was water contaminated fuel from water intrusion into the tank. The fix in that case was opening the lower level deck that constituted the tank roof and inserting a custom aluminum tank within the confines of the original tank ("tank in a tank"). Unfrtunately, this required partial demo of the forward deck and one bulkhead to allow the new tank to be inserted. That came in about $18k.

Both were done in US Gulf Coast yards.

I think the rule on estimating the cost of fuel tank replacement is "It depends on the boat."

And, thank you again, Viking. I knew it could have been worse, but didn't fully appreciate how much worse.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #104
Ray
Veteran Member

City: Scottsboro,Al
Vessel Name: PatsyRay
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship Trawler
A fellow boater with a 42 Carver has a leaking diesel tank, He is ready for the cut up and remove the tank. His question is how do you remove the fumes when cutting up the tank, so it won't blow up, or start a fire?

Thanks Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #105
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Ray, the guy who cut inspection ports into my diesel fuel tanks left about an inch of fuel on the bottom of the tank while cutting the hole. He said the gas given off by any tank growth once exposed to air is more flammable than the diesel.

After the cut, he finished the fuel polishing and tank scrubbing operation.

Those are great numbers, sbu! Sounds like you found the right folks to work with!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #106
FF
Guru

The fix in that case was opening the lower level deck that constituted the tank roof and inserting a custom aluminum tank within the confines of the original tank ("tank in a tank"). Unfrtunately, this required partial demo of the forward deck and one bulkhead to allow the new tank to be inserted. That came in about $18k

There are a number of companies that make custom fuel bladders that might have saves $15 grand.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote