leak around rudder stuffing box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpelton

Veteran Member
I have a 1978 Albin 36, with a leak.* (yes, I know lots of leaks, but this one is from below).

Here is the scenario:* The rudder post comes up from the rudder and through a fiberglass "box" and then attaches to the steering ram.* At the rear base of this 12x12x12 box, where it meets the inside of the hull, there is a crack.* Water weeps through this crack.

Inspecting the exterior of the boat where the rudder post goes through the hull looks fine.

Any ideas:

1. Where the water is entering?

2. A good fix?

Thanks much.
Bob

Not an unusual problem. And your vessel *made it 35 years -* pretty good!*In the old wooden boat days, new blocks, rebolting and packing would solve problem. In a FRP setup, commonly repairs are done with boat out of water and area torn down and cleaned up so repairs can be made.*This may mean*a new FRP stuffing box and properly glassed in.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 12:05:31 PM

i would haul the boat out and pour water into that section of the bilge and see exactally where its comming out on the outside.. if you can repair with with west system and some fabric that would be choice number one if its not in the hull you may need to cut out the rudder box and replace. at that point I would replace both if it is a twin screw vessel.

Boat is out of the water.* I like the idea of pouring water in and then trying to find the leak.*

About the configuration of the "box"...*

Is there water in the box or is it sleeved, like the way the prop shaft is sleeved with a bronze tube?* If it is sleeved, the sleeve must be compromised somewhere.* Also, if it is sleeved, I can't understand how it is sealed off at the hull where the rudder shaft extends out and attaches to the rudder.

If it is not completely sleeved, then I probably should get in there and just grind away and reglass the heck out of it.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, it is a single screw.

Bob,
Can you post some digital pics?

Thanks again for the input.

I'll try to get pics.* I did go down and I grinded out the cracked line along the edge of the box.* This revealed about a quarter inch void along the edge of the box where it meets the hull.

I am temped to make up some west system paste with collodial powder to fill the void and the glass the heck out of it.

There should be some sort of a stuffing box. Is your leak below the stuffing? After 35 years I would expect to have to replace the stuffing. The 1/4 inch gap may have nothing to do with the leak if it is simply worn stuffing.

Thanks for the reply.

The boat is out of the water, thankfully.

The rudder post at the top has a bushing that is bolted to a 12x12 fiberglass box.* In the bushing is a packing gland.* The leak is not coming from the packing gland, but rather the base of this fiberglass box (where there is a crack) where it is glassed into the hule.*

On the exterior of the boat where the rudder shaft comes out, there is not such fitting. The shaft simply comes out of the hull (unless there is a fitting that is glassed in, but I can't tell).

I am suppposing that there is a tube that extends the entire shaft length, but I don't know how I would get to it to inspect.

Thanks again.

Bob

I grinded the crack out and plan to re-fiberglass from the outside.* My question is, why is water coming through here?* Is their a rudder-tube that is compromised?* Is this box suppose to be full of water?

I removed everthing off the top of the rudder post and took apart the packing gland.* I removed the 4 lag bolts and broke the packing glad free from the box.* I can't seem to get the packin gland off of the post.* Is there something holding it on or is it just not sliding up the post because it is binding up?

Also,*does anyone know if*their is a rudder-tube?* Is this box suppose to be full of water?

Thanks much,
Bob

Thanks Mike.

OK, I was just worried that there was something that I was missing that was keeping the packing gland on the rudder.

I am still wondering how the packing gland "mates" and forms a water tight seal so that the box would not get water in it.

I will get pics next time I am at the boat.

Best,
Bob

To start off, I want to thank you all for your support.* I ended up grinding all of the old fiberglass off around the box.* There in was the problem.* The lay-up was poor, and some of the fiberglass I could actuall peel off by hand.*

The box is about 10" high.* The packing gland that is bedded in the box extends about 6" down.* The rudder shaft travels though the packing gland, the box, then out the hull, then attaches the rudder and terminates on a skeg which is part of the keep.

The "box" is meant to fill with water, as odd as that sounds (Ed, Aka "sealubber7" called that one right).* So I cleaned everthing up, glassed the heck out of everthing, re-bedded the packing gland, repacked with fresh teflon packing (It looked like the last packing was an old T-shirt or something), put all the steering stuff back together and then launched the boat.* Viola! No more leak.

I have pictures, but can't seem to upload them.* I will work on it.

Thanks again for the support.

Best,
Bob

glad you found your problem and fixed it on your own! post some photos of the outside of ur albin aswell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom