Mr. MM. Point taken.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Perhaps it was something that should have been attended to earlier, and wasn't.
Words are slippery things and there's too much wiggle room out of that one. Think I'll tighten it up a bit;

Perhaps it was something that showed signs of needing attention, but was ignored or put off till later.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
or it all goes back to marketing hype......

Maybe the manufacturer and/or the owner.....:
Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Deep breath now everybody. Whether Michael Connelly, Nicholas Sparks or Lee Child, all great writers of crime, intrigue and passion know how to suck the reader in. Marin has done it again. It will be interesting to see Hillary's response to this Willyizing.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Interesting point, Sun. Let's see:

The Donald-"It's a foreign boat and should not have been let in, I will deport all Grand Banks boats"

Cruz-"No such problem exists as man cannot have such an effect on a boat"

Christie-"When I was a US Attorney, I put people like that in jail, as Governor I created jobs by helping them move their plant to Hoboken"

JEB-"First I want to say my brother did a good job on those boats, and when I was Governor, I would have created charter boat yards"

Bernie-"What we really need is a single payer boat repair system for the middle class boat owner"

Rubio-"Did it come from Cuba?"

Hillary-"Do you want to donate it?"
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #26
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Oh, I forgot Carly-"Too bad American Marine is not run as well as I ran HP."
Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Hillary-"Do you want to donate it?"
THD, you are not even close on what Hillary would have said. Only 30 or so spring to mind, but for sure OTDE stuff. Think Willy. Marin will assuredly come up with a few zingers.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Deep breath now everybody. Whether Michael Connelly, Nicholas Sparks or Lee Child, all great writers of crime, intrigue and passion know how to suck the reader in. Marin has done it again. It will be interesting to see Hillary's response to this Willyizing.
Yup and the man is wetting hizself with laughter right now. Somewhat of a shame but still, his prerogative.

If the logs, receipts and maintenance records are as meticulous as we have been told, then any potential, future buyer will surely have it all laid out for him. And of course there is always the effects of non disclosure. If it is/was really, REALLY bad, every broker from CA to AK will eventually know about it.

On the other hand, it is to become a reef, so no one need worry. I'm just wondering why he didn't hop the dink and let 'er go down back in Sept.

This has the makin's of being more entertaining than the Recreational Trawler thread.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Perhaps, legal action is involved and he doesn't want to spill the beans or perhaps jeopardize the case.
That's certainly possible but so is the fact that he alluded to a very serious defect in his GB and maybe other boats as well. (In writing!) The fact that he has not followed up with any specifics will not sit well should a class action suite be filed by some other poor soul (TF member?) that has met with a far serious fate because of no knowledge of this particular defect. If I were in his shoes (Marin's) I would elaborate on the actual trouble I experienced, if for no other reason than to inform others about the possible dangers of experiencing the same fate, thus protecting myslf from being exposed to future litigation.

Again, with regard to the above quote, that's a real possibility.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
As predicted, the post that started this thread has already generated two pages of totally bogus speculation and armchair guesses. The legal comments are particularly humorous. This thread is why I never post anything about stuff that's actually important on an amateur-hour internet forum but instead search out truly credible sources.

Threre is nothing new or secretive about the event that triggered the long situation we just went through. It has been discussed several times on the Grand Banks Owners forum which is where we learned of it some 15 or 16 years ago. Which is why when it happened to us we were shocked and initially very scared but not surprised. That forum has a searchable archives just like this one so I would assume the posts on the subject by true pros like Bob Lowe and Mike Negley are still there. While I learned about it from the GB pros the mechanical configuration that failed is, as I understand it, fairly common within the industry, at least on older cabin cruisers.

And Murray is absolutely correct in his post #20.

BTW Murray, our dog was just as stunned as we were but he came to his senses faster than we did and suggested Rescue Tape when my longstanding plan of action for this occurance didn't work. I get the impression from your posts that your dog is very wise, too, so you are fortunate to have him as a boating companion. Like ours, he could save the day for you sometime.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
It has been discussed several times on the Grand Banks Owners forum... That forum has a searchable archives just like this one so I would assume the posts on the subject by true pros like Bob Lowe and Mike Negley are still there.
When the IAGBO server crashes, you can expect to hear about it. TFers are already lined up to register and log in to access the archives.

All same Black Friday at Walmart.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #32
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
If my memory is correct, there will be no future owners of Marin's boat as he plans to sink it.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
If my memory is correct, there will be no future owners of Marin's boat as he plans to sink it.
Incorrect assumption IMO sir. Heard today peta is suing to represent a primate in a copyright case. Sinking his boat will make it property of the fish and crustaceans that call the seabed home. By that point I'm sure the courts will have long since found in favor of peta.

I say all this to say just because he donates his boat to Poseidon does not necessarily mean an end to his legal liabilities.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
Not quite correct. I'm not going to sink it--- I can't do that myself. The (considerable) requirements have been drawn up for us so it's a matter of compliance when the time comes and the boat will be sunk into position under supervision. However this is a ways down the road. We still have things we want to do with it.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #35
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Truly, there aren't many options here - it's either steering (including rudders) or propulsion (including cooling, shafts, etc). The only mentions of rescue tape on IAGBO are for cooling/exhaust systems, and most cooling/exhaust issues are related to the engine(s) and are not "unique to certain GBs" or "boats with the same configurtation" (assuming that "configurtation" was a rare - for Marin - typo).

The mechanical steering on the GBs is known to wear and cause some surprising failures (i.e. when backing down smartly). But I can't see how self-amalgamating tape would be of much use, and the steering is the same across almost all GBs - except, of course, the difference between single and twin rudders.

My guess is that it was the rudders, which - being twins - are much more likely to fail than a single rudder which is both protected AND mounted in a strengthened part of the hull. Rudder posts and mounting hardware for older GB rudders are a known source of failure.

Might as well add this to the list of advantages that singles have over twins.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
My guess is that it was the rudders, which - being twins - are much more likely to fail than a single rudder which is both protected AND mounted in a strengthened part of the hull. Might as well add this to the list of advantages that singles have over twins.
So I take it Refugio your hull is weak outboard of your rudder?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

It was nothing to do with steering or the engines so no need to waste your armchair theorizing on those. Or the legal system.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio
The only mentions of rescue tape on IAGBO...
Was Rescue Tape even around 15 or 16 plus years ago?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
So I take it Refugio your hull is weak outboard of your rudder?
It's all relative, but sure - my hull would be thinner away from the keel. And a rudder without a shoe from the keel would have much greater forces placed on it. Even if it's not Marin's failure mode, that is not uncommon on older twin GBs. And the mounting hardware for the semi-accessible flanges is a notorious source of frustration - not just on boats but everywhere. Often bolts are installed before additionally assembly and become unremovable. Or heads break off. These are often really difficult items to secure and any failure or weakness is difficult and expensive to cure.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Was Rescue Tape even around 15 or 16 plus years ago?
The patent for "self-fusing tape" was filed in 1957.
Closed Thread