Old 09-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Krogen 42 Fuel Tank Replacement

We found a leaking fuel tank this spring so we started the replacement process this week. Since we had to pull the engine to get to the fuel tanks, we'll rebuild the running gear and engine (8400 hours) while the new tanks are being fabricated. The engine room, hoses, insulation paneling, etc will also be renewed.

Week 1: We hauled on Monday. Did the vessel protect, removed the running gear, then the engine and stripped the engine room. Next week the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
TF Site Team

Attached Thumbnails
7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg  

Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Wow! Look like a ship shape engine room!
Good luck on your re fit!
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm having flash backs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine pull 2 (2).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	56413

Larry, I'm here for you .......with moral support.

Don will be chiming in shortly to tell you to hurry up as you only have 4 1/2 months till Fort Pierce get together.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea123 View Post
Wow! Look like a ship shape engine room!
Good luck on your re fit!
Thanks. Can't have too much luck.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'm having flash backs.

Attachment 56413

Larry, I'm here for you .......with moral support.

Don will be chiming in shortly to tell you to hurry up as you only have 4 1/2 months till Fort Pierce get together.

Ted
Thanks. We'll be back under way by Thanksgiving. That's today's plan anyway. I'll make sure I let Lena know.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Little Fish
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Thanks for posting this project. I am very interested and appreciate the effort to inform the rest of us.

Good luck!
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Nice project Larry . Looks like you have it well under control .
Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
Thanks for posting this project. I am very interested and appreciate the effort to inform the rest of us.

Good luck!
Yeah, Larry: Great that you decided to post the project. While I was in the Indiantown, FL yard for six months, another 42 was doing tanks. Man, what a mess. He was still there when I left, two months behind schedule. Here's a couple of shots of the tanks as they performed a mock fit. Turns out that the tanks were about an inch too long.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0015.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Yeah, Larry: Great that you decided to post the project. While I was in the Indiantown, FL yard for six months, another 42 was doing tanks. Man, what a mess. He was still there when I left, two months behind schedule. Here's a couple of shots of the tanks as they performed a mock fit. Turns out that the tanks were about an inch too long.
Shhhhh! Don't upset Larry's Karma! Think on time, pleasant thoughts.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
While you are doing all that work I highly recommend you consider going to slightly softer engine mounts in combination with a flexible coupler like the one made by Federal.

Marine Transmissions, Velvet Drive, Paragon, marine transmission parts, <marine transmissions>

Makes for a very smooth running Lehman.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Holy crap! 1" too long.

We're going to try to get each tank out in 1 piece. If that doesn't work we'll cut one foot off then try again. If that doesn't work we'll cut another 6" off. The tanks are 9' long now. I know we can get a 7.5' tank out with a direct vertical lift. I'm hoping to be able to tilt the tanks and take them out diagonally at 9'. I only want 2 tanks when were done, not 4. The worst case is our total capacity goes from ~750 gallons down to ~600 plus gallons.

What ever size we get out, will go directly to the tank fabricators so they can mirror the tanks. What comes out, should go back in right?
Old 09-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
While you are doing all that work I highly recommend you consider going to slightly softer engine mounts in combination with a flexible coupler like the one made by Federal.

Marine Transmissions, Velvet Drive, Paragon, marine transmission parts, <marine transmissions>

Makes for a very smooth running Lehman.
Thanks. We've been looking at these. We're definitely looking at new mounts at a minimum. The ones we pulled out were original.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My greatest nightmare! Looks like it's coming along. I wish you excellent karma!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Just remember properly mounting and securing the tank will determine its service life, as much as stopping deck leaks .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What ever size we get out, will go directly to the tank fabricators so they can mirror the tanks. What comes out, should go back in right?
Theoretically, yes, but when she's sitting on stands for any length of time, be aware that carefully reducing the up pressure on the aft corner stand (letting the stern hang) can make up to 1.5" difference in removal clearance overnight.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Larry, of course Lou and I wish you the best for your project. However, as Ted said, you can consider this a gentle reminder to be in Fort Pierce in February for the TF South Florida Gathering.

There will be no excuses accepted even if written notes are offered from mothers, mechanics, doctors, or under takers. Those not attending will face serious consequences yet to be determined.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
That's a nice benefit to be able to pull everything out through the aft doors . When the PO changed out my engine they pulled it out through the wheel house floors and cut a hole through the roof .
Old 09-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Wow, Larry!! That's a huge project! You've made great progress already. Hope the schedule holds but more importantly, hope all the work is well done - correctly the first time. Is this a yard you've hired before? Are you assisting in the project?

Thanks for posting the project. I'll be watching and cheering in the background. This could be one of those projects where you keep saying to yourself, "Well, as long as I'm in here and this is accessible, I might as well..."

Good luck!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Wow, Larry!! That's a huge project! You've made great progress already. Hope the schedule holds but more importantly, hope all the work is well done - correctly the first time. Is this a yard you've hired before? Are you assisting in the project?

Thanks for posting the project. I'll be watching and cheering in the background. This could be one of those projects where you keep saying to yourself, "Well, as long as I'm in here and this is accessible, I might as well..."
Good luck!
This is our first time in this yard, St Johns Boat Co, JAX. It's one of the few yards in the area where we can do as much or as little work as we want. The manager has been here for 4 years and previously worked for Huckins. The yard and manager both get high marks locally. They have a different and interesting business model: a minimal in-house staff supported by a stable of local experts.

Our project team consists of 3 entities. The yard and a local 2 person company (recommended by the yard) gave us a T&M not to exceed to physically remove the engine and tanks and a T&M not to exceed to reinstall both. I hired another ex-Huckins employee, who is out on his own, to help us disconnect the engine electrically and reconnect later. He'll also help with the fuel manifold system and make sure everything else is to ABYC guidelines or as close as possible. I've known Eric for 3 years and he is probably one of the best ABYC techs in the JAX area IMHO. The big decider for us was that the 3 groups know each other and have a long history of working together.

The tanks will be built by RDS Aluminum in Perry, FL. I sent out 5 RFPs. RDS and one other company were the only ones who have the capability to build the tanks. The tanks have a radius against the hull which eliminated 3 firms. RDS's quote, with listed assumptions, came in at $5,579/tank. We visited RDS a few weeks ago and feel confident with them building our tanks.

We'll run the engine and running gear up to Bomac Marine for rebuilding this weekend.

Lena and I will take care of removing/installing everything else in the engine room, renewing it, rewiring, re-plumbing, etc. We will get help as we need it from the yard, Eric or the other 2-man team. The yard already helped out by bringing the forklift over during battery removal.

We were lucky that we are able to rent a furnished cottage 0.1 mile from the boat yard. After living on the hard for 6 months the last time we did a
major, Lena put her foot down this time. Definitely a good call on her part.

Project creep, well, I may try to sneak a few things past the project's cost analyst (Lena) but that could be hard. She knows that what we save here is part of our vacation next year.

I think we're off to a good start with costs for the week (excluding the haul-out) just under $1000. We're not naďve and one week isn't the project. A project like this can go sideways in a hurry but I try to look at things as being half full though which makes sleeping a little easier.

Let the game continue.