Krogen 42 Fuel Tank Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Installed the first 2" deck fill. The original were 1.5" and burped diesel on the deck occasionally when fueling so we upped the size. I was definitely impressed by Krogen's deck layup; the teak for the deck, a layer of fiberglass, plywood and a thin layer of glass.

We abandoned the old deck fill (the one on the left) by filling it solid with 5200 then screwing on the cap. Someday, we'll remove it and redo the sub-deck and teak planking. :rofl:

We also glassed in the port tank today.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 157
We picked up the engine and running gear this past weekend and it looks great. The engine had been run 3 times and all is good. She's scheduled to go back in the Monday after Thansgiving.

If anyone has been trying to get hold of Greg (Bomac Marine), he had emergency triple by pass surgery on Friday. He's doing fine from what I've been told but it may be a few weeks before he's answering emails or rebuilding engines.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 240
Wow, Larry. Looks beautiful!

Disturbing to hear that about Greg from Bomac. Peace and health to him, and a full, swift recovery. We're lucky to live at a time when medicine can do things like that.

Looks great, Larry, but....man, you're tough on the help! :hide:

Hope Greg is back up and at 'em very soon. It's amazing to me how fast folks can rebound today!

Dang, Larry. Glad to hear that Greg is OK. Hobo is really heading for the pinnacle of KK 42 performance when all this is done.

Last edited:
Looks great, Larry, but....man, you're tough on the help! :hide:

Hope Greg is back up and at 'em very soon. It's amazing to me how fast folks can rebound today!

Beautiful, Larry! Good for another 20,000 hours.

Al, I agree. As much as there is to complain about modern medicine, a cardiology interventionist I know was telling me about a patient that was brought into the ER on a Friday. He "died" on the gurney, was resuscitated, had a couple of stents put in and walked out of the hospital early the following week -- with an excellent prognosis. Pretty freaky.

Larry and Lena,

Congradulations. I admire you guys so much. I can hardly read your account without sweating.

Yes, my Port and Stbd tanks are a different shape, though my port tank seems wider in that it has more fuel than stbd at any given height of fuel (my about 20 to 30 gal). But then it could be longer also.

Richard

Thanks everyone. The only thing I'm doin to the engine is replacing all the open SS clamps with solid SS AWAB clamps (<$75) prior to installation.

I have been very impressed with Bomac Marine. Greg has the inventory and knowledge to support the Ford Lehman's that's for sure.

Larry and Lena,

Congradulations. I admire you guys so much. I can hardly read your account without sweating.

Yes, my Port and Stbd tanks are a different shape, though my port tank seems wider in that it has more fuel than stbd at any given height of fuel (my about 20 to 30 gal). But then it could be longer also.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I had assumed the tanks were of equal size. I've read of other KK42 tank replacements where the new tanks were a mirror of each other. The tank fabricators, RDS, picked up on the difference not me. I guess the attention is in the details.

We're now putting things back together. Today we'll have the burning of the templates/patterns if anyone cares to join us. :dance:

We covered the sides of the tanks with 1/2" and the aft ends with 3/4" marine plywood then covered the walls and ceilings with 8-4'x8' sheets of Soundown's perforated aluminum. We found a circular saw and a jig saw cut the best. Edges weren't too sharp, there was minimal run off and the tools didn't damage the powder coating.

I definitely underestimated how long it would take to cut/install the tank panels/fronts and over heads. Having to cut 3 out of 4 sides and even 4 out of 4 sides took a lot. I can't imagine how this was done before hot glue guns. We used 2.5-4'x8' sheets of luann ripped into 2" strips to make the templates. :eek:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 224
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 249
Greetings,
GOOD LORD! That looks awesome. Don't put anything else in there, you'll spoil the ambiance...Wait, What?

This part was the hardest for me, now you have to crap up a beautiful open space with all those dang systems and their hoses and wires! I had the same crappy clamps on my Bomac 120 rebuild, I have been slow changing them out though.

Also try not to drop, drag or otherwise mess up the engine room coating. I think you can buy the little paper surgical shoe covers now :). Maybe a tyvec suit is in order!

Looks great, keep it up

This part was the hardest for me, now you have to crap up a beautiful open space with all those dang systems and their hoses and wires! I had the same crappy clamps on my Bomac 120 rebuild, I have been slow changing them out though.

Also try not to drop, drag or otherwise mess up the engine room coating. I think you can buy the little paper surgical shoe covers now :). Maybe a tyvec suit is in order!

Looks great, keep it up

I recommend getting some moving blankets.

'''Also try not to drop, drag or otherwise mess up the engine room coating. I think you can buy the little paper surgical shoe covers now :). Maybe a tyvec suit is in order!

Looks great, keep it up

You guys are both spot on. For the time being, no shoes or bare feet in the engine room, socks only. I've been stock piling cardboard and blue tape that will go down tomorrow to protect flat surfaces.

I'm hoping to get all the systems back and running before we install the engine. That's' todays goal anyway.

Greetings,
GOOD LORD! That looks awesome. Don't put anything else in there, you'll spoil the ambiance...Wait, What?

Thanks RT: I felt the same way about covering up the tanks, although I did leave openings at the front and back so I can still look. :)

When I did my refit, I got a roll of indoor / outdoor hall way carpet and fastened lengths upside down over the floors. The soft surface protected the floor, the underside gave me traction to walk on, and the thickness acted as shock absorption when I dropped things. :blush:

Ted

Holy crap, Larry! You've thought of everything...even a dance pole. This is the second KK I've seen with one. Brittania's 54 has a taller one in the fwd cabin.

attachment.php

Holy crap! Even my head and shower look that good.

We had a good weekend with the port side coming together. Loosing 22" of tanks opens up some space. We moved the start bank and water heater to the aft end of the tanks for more access around the engine.

Tomorrow we start on the starboard side and we'll see how everything fits there. We'll start running cables and hoses then. In theory, the house bank, the 10-T105's, hasn't changed or moved so that should go smoothly. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0001a.jpg
    IMG_0001a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 218
Larry. Again, wonderful job. I'm envious of the sense of pleasure and satisfaction you must be experiencing. a job well done!! Also a real great source of info for us. Thanks and Congrats. Glen

Larry. Again, wonderful job. I'm envious of the sense of pleasure and satisfaction you must be experiencing. a job well done!! Also a real great source of info for us. Thanks and Congrats. Glen

Amen, and Amen!!

We had a good weekend with the port side coming together. Loosing 22" of tanks opens up some space. We moved the start bank and water heater to the aft end of the tanks for more access around the engine.

Tomorrow we start on the starboard side and we'll see how everything fits there. We'll start running cables and hoses then. In theory, the house bank, the 10-T105's, hasn't changed or moved so that should go smoothly. :rolleyes:

Looking good Larry.

If I can make another couple of suggestions, consider putting Dri-Deck mat under things like your water heater, muffler, pumps, etc. I've found that keeps the areas under those kinds of things dry and it's easy to flush out under them to keep them clean as well.

And since I believe you are using wet cell batteries, think about dusting the bottom of your battery boxes with baking soda before putting the batteries in the boxes. The soda does a great job of soaking up and neutralizing and water/acid spills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom