Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > General Maintenance

Old 09-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
John: The pictures are great. Thanks! Question though, did they secure the tanks to the front vertical members?

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #82
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Man, you guys (gals) don't mess around on your projects! Looks like y'all are almost halfway done. Impressive.

Conversely, I will sit here for weeks stressing over painting my window frames. 😂
No kidding! Sheeeeesh!! I was just sitting here patting myself on the back for adding oil to the engines, checking water levels on all batteries and changing a water filter. Now I feel like a real slacker! I better get back to work!

Great thread, Larry!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #83
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
No kidding! Sheeeeesh!! I was just sitting here patting myself on the back for adding oil to the engines, checking water levels on all batteries and changing a water filter. Now I feel like a real slacker! I better get back to work!

Great thread, Larry!

Tomorrow I might go to the boat to install a helm chair swivel, drink some beers, and search for boats on YW.

That's a big day.

😂
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Larry,

I can't see any way that the front end of tank was secured other than the vertical posts visible in the photos. The insulation was already installed on the forward engine-room bulkhead prior to the new tank install. And I do not see any welded fittings on the new tanks that could be used to fasten to the bulkhead.

I haven't pulled off the sound proofing that covers the tanks. And they covered over the clean-outs. I have been dreading pulling off the sound proofing but need to access the clean-out soon as I have a bit of weeping - probably failure of the flange gasket.

Th attached shows the engine room looking forward. Fuel manifold and transfer pump at upper right. You can see the insulation over the tanks to the left. Getting to the clean-out is going to be a bit of a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_looking_forward.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	56574  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #85
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
...I can't see any way that the front end of tank was secured other than the vertical posts visible in the photos. The insulation was already installed on the forward engine-room bulkhead prior to the new tank install. And I do not see any welded fittings on the new tanks that could be used to fasten to the bulkhead...
Thanks. I think we'll reinstall ours similar to yours and the way they were installed at the factory other than adding air gaps with the GPO3. When we exposed the tanks there was a cleat at the top of the tanks to the floor above. That with the lip along the floor, the vertical posts and the aft end of the tanks being glassed to the hull, the boat could probably roll upside down and the tanks wouldn't move.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	56589  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #86

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Let's hope not! Going to take in a Jaguars game while you're there? Thought I'd take your mind off of engine rooms for a few jours. Sue and I will be around after the 27th. We're all watching your progress, cause it's something we all face.
Fantastic how much you can from day to day.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #87

City: South Florida
Is that an isolation medium of some kind at the top of the stanchion? Do the fasteners go through it? Nicely done KK

Attached Images

Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #88
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Is that an isolation medium of some kind at the top of the stanchion? Do the fasteners go through it? Nicely done KK

Nothing as cool as an isolation mount, it's a piece of blue tape.

The stanchion is a floor support for the salon. When we removed both (one on either side) to pull the tanks, we were surprised that the floor didn't sag. I did put them back till the tanks go back in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	56656  
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #89
TF Site Team

Things you find that you shouldn't.

We've been doing clean up and renewing parts for the engine room before it all goes back together. I have been amazed on how many dropped nails we've found. This one came out of the sawdust by the forward tank end.

Today, we disassembled 3 raw water screens in the engine room to bead blast and replace the gaskets. On one, 4 of the 6 bolts broke off with little effort on the engine screen. Some crevice corrosion and crap SS. I wish I remembered where I bought the bronze nipple though. I installed it. More crap.

The thru-hull was a little unsettling. It had maybe 2 threads attached. Less than 2 turns and they were apart. Now is the time to find it; scary but it did last 29 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	56789   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	56790   Click image for larger version

Name:	4b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	56792   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	56793   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	56794  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	56795   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	56796  
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #90

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Larry, remember we broke planer blades when peeling my hull, because a nail was embedded in the glass. They must have been throwing alot of nails around that place. I don't recall my thru hulls when I was ripping them out, but scary, goes to show you what you can get away with, with some good sealant, huH?!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #91
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Larry and others. Many thanks for sharing your experiences with your tank projects. As a fellow Krogen 42 owner this is invaluable as a resource if / when required. Thanks for the extra effort put forward to let us learn with and from you in this task. Well done.

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #92
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Larry, any word from Bomac?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #93
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Things you find that you shouldn't.

Today, we disassembled 3 raw water screens in the engine room to bead blast and replace the gaskets. On one, 4 of the 6 bolts broke off with little effort on the engine screen. Some crevice corrosion and crap SS. I wish I remembered where I bought the bronze nipple though. I installed it. More crap.

The thru-hull was a little unsettling. It had maybe 2 threads attached. Less than 2 turns and they were apart. Now is the time to find it; scary but it did last 29 years.
I'd like to tell you the wasting of that nipple is rare, but it's not. Unless you buy name brand (Groco or Buck Algonquin), a lot of the metal is junk from China ect., not quality bronze. Been that way for decades now.

That thru-hull would keep me awake at night. Mine are all threaded, bolted in place, with 5200. If the threads were to fail, the 5200 and bolted in place should keep the seacock secured to the hull. Disassembling and rebedding seacocks are high on my priority list for any boat purchase. I'm assuming that was done by KK? Are you going to be examining your other seacocks?

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #94
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Larry, remember we broke planer blades when peeling my hull, because a nail was embedded in the glass. They must have been throwing alot of nails around that place. I don't recall my thru hulls when I was ripping them out, but scary, goes to show you what you can get away with, with some good sealant, huH?!
I had no idea so many nails were used in the assembly; some interior wall coverings, rigid sound insulation, the plywood on the side of the tanks, the over heads in the engine room, plus other areas are/were all secured with ring nails. They sure dropped more than 1 or 2.

The thru hull penetration was done correctly through the core for what's that worth.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #95
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNL View Post
Larry and others. Many thanks for sharing your experiences with your tank projects. As a fellow Krogen 42 owner this is invaluable as a resource if / when required. Thanks for the extra effort put forward to let us learn with and from you in this task. Well done.

Glen
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #96
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Larry, any word from Bomac?
We should have an update next week.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #97
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'd like to tell you the wasting of that nipple is rare, but it's not. Unless you buy name brand (Groco or Buck Algonquin), a lot of the metal is junk from China ect., not quality bronze. Been that way for decades now.

This was one of nipples that I bought and installed. Fortunately of the 3 assemblies that we took apart this was the only one that showed any dezincification

That thru-hull would keep me awake at night. Mine are all threaded, bolted in place, with 5200. If the threads were to fail, the 5200 and bolted in place should keep the seacock secured to the hull. Disassembling and rebedding seacocks are high on my priority list for any boat purchase. I'm assuming that was done by KK? Are you going to be examining your other seacocks? Ted
Assembly was done by KK. Of the 3 in the engine room, this was the only one that didn't have adequate threads. They will all go back with backing plates, 5200 and adequate thread lengths. The others are on the to-do list.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #98

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Larry, you and Lena stay safe, I hope Hobo is high enough out of any surge. Sue and I are holed up in Orlando, waiting to get back to Daytona. Maybe fortunate that you're laid up for repairs right now.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #99
Guru

City: Valley Forge, PA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Assembly was done by KK. Of the 3 in the engine room, this was the only one that didn't have adequate threads. They will all go back with backing plates, 5200 and adequate thread lengths. The others are on the to-do list.
Larry, another option is to epoxy them in. I did this using Groco's flanged adapters and backing plates, which allow perfect thread-mating with the through hull and seacock. The backing plate is epoxied to the hull; the through hull and adapter are threaded together and bedded with 5200 and the adapter is also bolted to the backing plate. Finally, the seacock is simply threaded to the adapter, making the entire assembly very robust. A bonus is you can easily swap out the seacock, should it ever malfunction without disturbing the rest of the assembly.

(No affiliation with Groco, other than making a large contribution to their bottom line last year .)

We're very much hoping to hear good news about you, Lena and Hobo today.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #100
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Nice mud wasp nest in the corner. Hope they were evicted.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote