KiwiGrip results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Getting ready to start the final coats of Awlgrip on my refit project. Need to make a decision on the deck coating. Looking for consumer opinions on KiwiGrip and application process. Have read a fair amount of what's online and in the archives here. Looking for opinions on wear, barefoot friendly, their roller or a less aggressive one, and if you had good results with tinting at a paint store. Other anecdotal information would also be appreciated!

Ted

No direct application experience but have seen several finished jobs, they look great and owners loved it. This product forms it's non-skid pattern with the special roller rather than an additive making it quite thick so the coverage per gallon is way down. I'm sure other texturing rollers could be used with it for a different effect. The color is all through so wear does not show. As to tinting, I would talk to your paint store and make sure they will work with you on a product they didn't sell especially since the tints will have to be mixed, not shaken in, in all likelyhood.

I have seen two applications of kiwi-grip. In both cases it went on very easily, but the result looked VERY aggressive.

I also saw an awl-grip non-skid application that was both easy and looked great. The painter rolled and tipped the awl-grip onto the deck, then before it dried, sprayed non-skid compound onto the wet paint with a detail sprayer. He simply loaded the non-skid compound into the sprayer dry and sprayed it onto the paint. After the paint dried he vacuumed excess compound off the paint then rolled and tipped a thin sealer coat of paint on. The result was a perfectly even non-skid application that looked great.

I wouldn't tint. We tinted the swim platform when we renewed the no-skid 2.5 years ago. I went to touch it up and the left over paint was hard. At the same time we did the fore-decks with a factory color which is still available.

We used Awlgrip. Prepped, rolled on a coat, sprinkled on Awlgrip's non-skid, rolled on another coat and pulled the tape. This is today.

What ever you do, it looks like you have the right guy to do the application. Any recent pics? :)

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 231
I've not used Kiwi Grip but have used a few 2 part urethane non skid coatings, both sprayed and rolled on. I like Permaflex Sanitred for rolling but the learning curve is substantial. When applied correctly by a skilled (well practiced !) person it is really nice looking. Lately I've been using a coating called Extreme Liner. Its a truck bedliner urethane that is sprayed with a cup gun. They included the spray gun with your order. Its very easy to use and the "grit" which is rubber granules, comes in differing courseness depending on how aggressive you need. Taping/draping is a concern, it splatters a bit. It covers a "bad" surface well and will really hide surface imperfections. I've not had any problems with it "peeling", even in heavy useage on aluminum utility boats that get abused regularly. Just my experience, I may find something better next week :)

I did my entire flybridge 2 years ago with that stuff and I am very happy with the results. It's pretty easy to apply once you get the hang of it. It's a bit tricky at first because it's more consistent than paint, almost like a putty. So get yourself a 3 inch scrapper to get it out of the can and on your deck. Then take a notched trowel to spread it evenly and finally roll it with the special roller. You'll get a consistent thickness that way. Don't over roll it, just a few passes will do the trick. Do small sections of about 2 square feet at a time.

The product held up nice after 2 full seasons but I see some cracks here and there. But I suspect it's more because the surface flexes a lot than because of the product itself. I had some extra that I kept so I was able to do touch ups. It's a bit pricey but it's the best thing to get pro results without too many complications in my mind. Make sure you buy the right amount to cover the entire surface you want to do because you can't "stretch it" since it's more like applied a past than a liquid. You need sufficient thickness to achieve the desire results. Oh, and it gathers dirt more than a smooth surface as you can guess. A power washer or a good scrub will get it clean in no time.

What ever you do, it looks like you have the right guy to do the application. Any recent pics? :)
Boat doesn't really look any different than 4 months ago. All the ultabuild has been sanded and almost all has been reprimed for top coat. As all the primer and ultrabuild are white, there doesn't seem to be any change. Hope to start the top coat process in a couple of weeks.

Ted

On my foredeck we used awlgrip and microballoons. It is an even finish and not slippery, but a bit like sandpaper.

For the boat deck I went with Moby Deck, and opted for the coarse non slip. Specifically, the FlexiThane 300 with Get-a-Grip (literally ground up tennis balls).
http://www.mobydeck.com/components.html
The paint itself is somewhat elastic, and with the rubbery non slip it is great to walk on even though it looks aggressive.

Attachments

• Foredeck new 1.jpg
    Foredeck new 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 134
  • RIB Chocks sml.jpg
    RIB Chocks sml.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Ted,

I did my decks and fly bridge with light gray Kiwi Grip last fall. Very easy and am pleased with the results. No need to sand/grind the existing non-skid, just wire brush any loose patches and do a good wash with Simple Green to degrease.

I used the roller supplied with the kit and worked it to a fairly non-aggressive finish. The key is ambient temperature and no direct sun. I did mine when the temp was in the low 80s and had some direct sun in the afternoon. Working time was about 1-2 minutes before it started to set up. The tackier it is, the more aggressive the texture will be when rolled and the more difficult it will be to blend each new section. I'd recommend practicing on some scrap plywood to get a feel for it at the time you decide to actually do the decks.

It's easy on bare feet and have dragged deck chairs, dropped tools, scrubbed it good with a deck brush and not a dent or chip in it so far.

Some before/after pics....

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436391901.829277.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436391941.313851.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436391972.982982.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436392014.085665.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436392057.736259.jpg

I used KiwiGrip on my aluminium boarding ramp spring of 2014, and it has held up well to daily use. I did it as a test for re-painting my decks and I'm sold. A few tips:

1) it applies very thick, you will use more than you think you need

2) the standard roller is fine. The pressure and speed you roll with affects the aggressiveness more than anything. The texture is ok for bare feet

3) follow the directions advice of working in a small area. If the previous edge starts to set, it shows in the final product

4) this stuff is tough! I detached the ramp and slid it over nonskid concrete docks on the finished surface with no damage! I did this as part of my test.

5) the texture likes to collect dirt, so a darker color may help aesthetics. It cleans very easy.

6) cleanup was a breeze with soap and water. Wet product wipes up readily with a damp clothe if you get it somewhere you dont want it.

Back
Top Bottom