Interior design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
We are toying with the idea of basically stripping out the cabin on our trawler and starting over...mainly due to the PO and builder being 5'5" odd and both of us being considerably taller and wider.

Now, dumb question time...not being able to use a CAD program or similar, does anyone have any tips or tricks for working out the best layout/use of space ? Naturally we have ideas of what we want the space to contain but how to best situate it within the space available is the trick. I look at the way modern cruisers and RV's are designed and set out and admire it but as to how to begin to copy it...?:confused:

Oddly enough, I do. Get some large graph paper and layout the cabin areas, their doors and stairs, etc.
Take stiff paper and make 'to scale' cut-outs of your desired cabinets, furnishings and appliances.
Now you can arrange and rearrange to your hearts content until you hit on something that will meet your needs.

It's primitive but this can be made to work.

I was surprised this layout readily absorbs up to 12 people for cocktails/snacks in the combined area of saloon and pilothouse (that's not counting the forward cabin).

522264_0_070620101141_11.jpg

I was surprised this layout readily absorbs up to 12 people for cocktails/snacks in the combined area of saloon and pilothouse (that's not counting the forward cabin).

522264_0_070620101141_11.jpg

...and I'll provide eyewitness testimony that nobody felt at all crowded that evening. Mark, we could have easily had 2 or 3 more couples aboard Coot that evening and still not felt crowded. Very impressive. :thumb:

Boat builders, custom, often build dummy interiors with particle board for cabinet sizing, settees, lockers and so on. It Doesn't have to be exact detail but close enough to give the feel. You may not want to use particle board but sturdy cardboard taped together would give you the ability to build the size and then see if it works before cutting particle board or the real stuff.

Of course d o your design roughouts on paper but once that is done then layout on the garage floor the area you have to work with and build in cardboard to see if there are any glaring problems.

I would think a list of what you think you want should be made so you don't forget something even if it gets dropped later.

Al, I, and Matt having a jovial time in the Coot's (at dock) pilothouse.

img_192799_0_2772e390f823be128cf072c23f230c2d.jpg

Craig, you're probably out of sight sitting on the portside bench.

Ed entertaining the ladies:

img_192799_1_77b0caace6e5009b0126d2e5f88f559a.jpg

Last edited:
What looks great on paper may have serious flaws when installed.

A cardboard mock up , or far better a crap 1/4 ply or similar that will actually serve for a short time as the interior will give enough time to refine the design a couple of times .

There are MANY MANY surprises when a 2D design is brought to life as a 3D functioning interior.

Eye height , knee or elbow knockers and passing room are only the start.

When we were refitting/converting Pioneer, there were several layout ideas which looked good on paper (I used Autocad Light which is very easy to learn) but were disastrous for various reasons when built. We had to redo both the saloon portside settee and the steps to the wheel house.

After these mistakes, both the galley and the head, with handbasin and shower, were mocked up in cheap MDF and tacked in place before we proceeded to build the real thing. Takes a bit more time, but definitely worth the effort.

Good advice above. For ideas in space saving, I also study R/V's, even though a lot of their interiors are built from pre-fab modules and don't necessarily do well when considering the shapes of boat hulls, but big production boats like Bayliner, Carver, Silverton, Sea Ray, etc.. have good space ideas, even if you don't use the same materials. There's no way to really experience the ease (or difficulty) of moving through the space without a mock-up. It looks as if you've got a great amount of cubic space to play with. Take your time, get an experienced boat carpenter aboard and pay for his opinion.

STEAL , STEAL, STEAL, when you go to a boat show , visit a dock boat or hit the RV circuit , bring your camera and STEAL away.

Boats have been stuffing a quart in a pint pot for 5000 years , the RV folks steal a lot from boats , so get to it!!!

One comment, cubby holes and traps stink compared to drawers .

If you must have a trap, top access works best.

Back
Top Bottom