Installing USCG boat number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to install the USCG vessel number on my boat. As most probably know, it needs to be affixed in some permanent way such that tampering is detectable. Obviously that leaves a lot of room for interpretation and creativity.

I was just going to apply stick-on letters to my engine stringer, then essentially paint over it with a few coats of epoxy.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Greetings,
Mr. tt. In MY opinion, that would be acceptable. We have our #'s on a 12"X12" sticker affixed to the hull in the ER which is coated with a layer of cloth and clear polyester. Any attempt to remove same or alter information would be readily detectable.

I have used the fiberglass cloth plus polyester coating method over stick on letters. Works well and is permanent.

David

stick on number with some sort of clear coat is what I used and CG inspection was OK. I don't remember what clear coat I used but make sure it wont mess up the vinyl letters

They accept carved letters on a screw on plaque...hard to believe they won't accept almost anything on a rec boat.

They accept carved letters on a screw on plaque...hard to believe they won't accept almost anything on a rec boat.

Yup, that's what I have with some glue on the back. Removal would leave a big mark - complies.

Ken

Yup, that's what I have with some glue on the back. Removal would leave a big mark - complies.

Ken

Ditto, but no screws.

img_298689_0_d67d6c950c2c1694bec0a9d316f16d9e.jpg

You can simply paint the number in place and cover with thin glass cloth epoxied on top.

Cloth in clear resin becomes very clear so its good >forever<.

Ken

I also have mine this way, but the previous owner just used the stick on numbers (which is also still in place).

Lot's of you (maybe all) have used glass, then resin. Thoughts on leaving out the glass and just painting over with resin?

Also, a number of you have used polyester resin. I was thinking epoxy. Any objections to epoxy?

Much of this, quite frankly, is based on not having any materials other than the stickon letters. Whatever I buy, I'll likely have a lot left over so would like to use something that will be useful down the road. That's what leads me to epoxy, but I know very little about this aspects of boat construction.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I'm sure that would be fine. As you see just about anything will meet the requirement.

Greetings,
Mr. tt. I used polyester simply because it's what I had immediately at hand and it set up very quickly. One can surely use epoxy as well. As far as the cloth, again, what I had immediately at hand. I think you can buy a small auto repair kit at auto zone or similar, even wally mart I expect, which includes both the cloth and the polyester resin. Bondo 420 - Fiberglass Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts
IF you go with epoxy, make sure you buy epoxy compatible cloth IF you decide to use the cloth.

USCG Doc No.s

They accept carved letters on a screw on plaque...
If you go the plaque approach you need to glue / epoxy it on instead of or in addition to screws. Screws OK to hold in place while glue / epoxy cures but they do not satisfy the "permanent" requirement if used alone.

Lot's of you (maybe all) have used glass, then resin. Thoughts on leaving out the glass and just painting over with resin?

Also, a number of you have used polyester resin. I was thinking epoxy. Any objections to epoxy?

Much of this, quite frankly, is based on not having any materials other than the stickon letters. Whatever I buy, I'll likely have a lot left over so would like to use something that will be useful down the road. That's what leads me to epoxy, but I know very little about this aspects of boat construction.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Epoxy all by itself would certainly do it. No way to alter the numbers through the epoxy without being very obvious.

Ken

If you go the plaque approach you need to glue / epoxy it on instead of or in addition to screws. Screws OK to hold in place while glue / epoxy cures but they do not satisfy the "permanent" requirement if used alone.
Please tell me of someone who has had that problem.

I would love to converse with them and backtrack to the USCG unit that cited them.

Not trying to drift here but I just got letter yesterday saying they are charging
25 $ annually to keep vessel documented .

PS-In over thirty years, I have heard of one person being cited and that was for the numbers being too small (need to be 3" high). He had a metal plate, not too much bigger than a dog tag. The standards are so simple, permanently affixed and apparent damage if it was removed, it is hard to imagine anybody screwing it up.

PS-In over thirty years, I have heard of one person being cited and that was for the numbers being too small (need to be 3" high). He had a metal plate, not too much bigger than a dog tag. The standards are so simple, permanently affixed and apparent damage if it was removed, it is hard to imagine anybody screwing it up.
Exactly my point..one can argue screw holes are damage just like scraping numbers off...

The rule is poorly worded..and easily fixed..therefore I would guess that if notvreworded...they must not care a lot.

Exactly my point..one can argue screw holes are damage just like scraping numbers off...

The rule is poorly worded..and easily fixed..therefore I would guess that if notvreworded...they must not care a lot.

Exactly. Heck, maybe disappearing ink might be arguable.

Please tell me of someone who has had that problem.

I am a USPS Vessel Safety Examiner and converse with a fair number of boaters during courtesy inspections. While I have never been boarded by USCG I have been with others that have and talked to one that was checked on the Great Lakes (Lake Ontario). The owner mentioned a conversation w/ the USCG examiner re: hull documentation numbering - his vessel was numbered w/ a plaque that was screwed & epoxied - the examiner inquired about the plaque being screwed on but was satisfied when told it was used as a temp attachment while the epoxy cured.

The USCG requirement is " The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area." Screws alone would not satisfy the above.

Most law enforcement officers I have had discussions with admit they seldom write citations for technicalities - they focus on true safety deficiencies.
My guess is an inspection would yield a warning and could be rectified by adding epoxy... I used the plaque approach and figured it was easy to add the epoxy and avoid any potential controversy and offered the point for clarification only.

I am a USPS Vessel Safety Examiner and converse with a fair number of boaters during courtesy inspections. While I have never been boarded by USCG I have been with others that have and talked to one that was checked on the Great Lakes (Lake Ontario). The owner mentioned a conversation w/ the USCG examiner re: hull documentation numbering - his vessel was numbered w/ a plaque that was screwed & epoxied - the examiner inquired about the plaque being screwed on but was satisfied when told it was used as a temp attachment while the epoxy cured.

The USCG requirement is " The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area." Screws alone would not satisfy the above.

Most law enforcement officers I have had discussions with admit they seldom write citations for technicalities - they focus on true safety deficiencies.
My guess is an inspection would yield a warning and could be rectified by adding epoxy... I used the plaque approach and figured it was easy to add the epoxy and avoid any potential controversy and offered the point for clarification only.

USCG examiner or a USCGAux examiner?

Hate to be technical....but light years in possible difference.

Even most USCG active duty boarding officers would hardly be able to discuss the difference.

While I would suggest the average boat owner attach their doc numbers better than minimal....the reality is big deal if the agency responsible can't clearly spell out what they want for different hull types.

I'm not real concerned with compliance because, as several have commented, pretty much any of these approaches would meet the requirements. I more want to do a neat job that is going to hold up, not make a giant mess, and most important, not be something that fails and has to be re-done.

Someone mentioned the engraved plaques. That's what I had on my last boat, and I attached it to the hull with 5200. I'm just going to do the same thing again, mostly because even I can't screw it up. When it comes to epoxy, fiberglass mat, and projects like that, I'm the guy who ends up with epoxy and mat all over me and everything else in the boat, and a registration number that is crooked and falling off.

... When it comes to epoxy, fiberglass mat, and projects like that, I'm the guy who ends up with epoxy and mat all over me and everything else in the boat, and a registration number that is crooked and falling off.

Twisted, that describes me perfectly except I'd also get the plaque crooked.

It seems relatively easy to satisfy the Coast Guard, but my primary objective was marking it in such a way that any alteration would be obvious. The best I could come up with was engraving my stringers (very neatly, using 4" block letters as a stencil), then painting in the engraved area with contrasting epoxy paint. Someone could still do a pretty good cover up job, but they will never get it to be like new.

The Coasties used to state the number would be carved into the "Main Beam" but with plastic boats thats not practical.

Newer boats have a builders ID number somewhere on the rear.

I would paint an epoxy the doc. number in more than one place , perhaps one that is hard to find.

If the boat is sold and needs to be reclaimed the purchaser would have to find them all!

Just a quick update on this....

I decided to order a number board from DocumentationBoards.com. It's been over 2 weeks since I ordered and no board, so I contacted them the other day. I finally got a response saying they would start it over the weekend. So over two weeks and they haven't even started? I think they forgot my order. So far, I would not recommend them.

Carved mine into a non-removable beam in the lazarette with a router. Quick, non-removable/changeable, never a question. Original was glassed over tape in the forepeak and came off in 10 min.

USCGAUX VSE 1243292 I will accept screwed on + glue plaque. Stick on or even magic marker of proper configuration and size if covered with FG tape and clear finish on a part of boat that is not easily removable. If just covered with a clear finish I would inquire as to type ok by me if not easily removed with solvent. Unlikely that a CG boarding party will ask or look for your DOC # They are focused on a few items and the three times I have been boarded never checked that and several other things the AUX safety check program would include as required by the CG forms.. I get the impression the CG boarding parties don't have their harts in it and do it because they have to fill a quota to satisfy command. My take is the modern CG has its priorities elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom