Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

City: annapolis
Injectors on Ford Lehman 120 replacement

How difficult is it to remove and install injectors in a Ford Lehman 120 engine? I would like to remove mine and have them cleaned/adjusted at a local injector shop. Also after they are installed, how do you bleed the fuel lines at the injector?

AnnapolisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
While I've not done it it's pretty easy. I believe there have been discussions about this on the forum in the past so a search of the archives should get you these discussions.

Whether or not you need to bleed the injectors seems to depend on the disposition of your engine. We never have to bleed our injectors after a fuel filter change on our two FL120s. We bleed the two filters on the rear of the engine and the injection pump but we've never bled the injectors themselves. The engines always start right up.

However, there have been folks on the Grand Banks owners forum who say they need to bleed their injectors as well, to get their FL120(s) to start.

Don't know how readable this is but here is the section from the FL120 operator's manual on how to remove the injectors. Surprisingly, the Ford shop manual for this engine doesn't describe removing the injectors, at least not anywhere I could find. It just says to do it in those operations where it's necessary. I guess it assumes the shop people all know how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Injector Removal FL120.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	39186  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Marin--Many thanks for the info. I have the manual and, as you point out, it does not look too difficult to do. My engines have approx 2500 hrs and someone said I should have the injectors rebuilt/replaced. But both engines run fine besides a little smoke when I start them cold. Do I fix them if they are not broken? Decisions Decisions.

Many thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
In most cases redoing the injectors does little to help with the smoking on a Lehman. Especially if it's running well otherwise.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
If an FL120 doesn't smoke (blue) on cold start startup there's something wrong with it. It's the nature of the beast.

If the smoke doesn't go away after a few minutes as the engine warms up and finishes burning off the lube oil that's seeped down past the valve stems while it's been sitting, there is also something wrong with it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If an FL120 doesn't smoke (blue) on cold start startup there's something wrong with it. It's the nature of the beast.

If the smoke doesn't go away after a few minutes as the engine warms up and finishes burning off the lube oil that's seeped down past the valve stems while it's been sitting, there is also something wrong with it.
Perhaps. But at least with a Lehman you have a couple thousand hours or more to figure it out.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Expensive repair if it ain't broken. I mailed mine to a fine gent in Wisconsin who sent me a set of rebuilt ones for $25 each. That was worth doing but he's retired now. Little difference except a slightly smoother idle. Not for $100 a pop, or whatever it is now, thank you.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #8

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
It is easy to remove and replace the injectors, and you do not need to bleed them if your batteries are in good shape. 30-45 seconds of cranking at half throttle should be fine.
Some of us think it is faster to remove the rocker shaft to remove the injectors (me) and some of us think it is a waste of time to remove the rockers (xsbank).
Adjusting the valves had more effect on smoothing out the idle than changing the injectors did, and resetting the injector pump timing to factory specs smoothed things out even more.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you for your sound advice. This is my first time using this forum and it is great getting your responses. My vote it to leave the injectors alone until they really need attention.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AJ. I may have missed you. If so, welcome aboard. I think your final post (#9 above) is a wise decision OR if it ain't broke, fix it until it is...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
There are some engines that need (and some manuals specify) injector service at regular intervals, Lehmans are not one of those. In my opinion some mechanics who are not particularly familiar with Lehmans may needlessly recommend injector work. The bottom line is that absent an obvious injector type issue, a Lehman can go thousands of hours without any need for injector service.

Ken

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote