If it's not one thing it's another...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
As it usually goes, while I was working on my AC drain project something else decided to quit working. The AC control unit flashed HPF, which usually means my strainer is clogged.

When I closed the crappy ball valve on the substandard through hull setup it felt a little funny I thought. I check the strainer and there were some jellyfish at the bottom but not many. Cleaned the basket, reinstalled, same thing. HPF.

This time I unscrewed the strainer top and opened the crappy ball valve, and no water came out. Nothing. So figuring something was clogging the through hull, I attached my trusty shop vac to the hose and attempted to blow back through the crappy ball valve, but got nothing. Just solid pressure. Valve is open (or shows to be anyway).

Could the ball valve have failed closed? The handle moves but nothing happens. Or do I just have one bad ass jelly fish in there? ?

Here is the ball valve. I know I need to replace it with a proper seacock but would like to get the AC going again.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444848099.930275.jpg

Un screw the EL if you can and probe the valve in the closed position, then open it and probe again (have a plug handy) could well have failed closed.

You can watch the stem while you move the handle. If the stem turns then the ball is probably turning. But not necessarily.

Then do what boatdriver suggests above, but definitely have a proper size wooden plug available, particularly when you unscrew that elbow. The body of the valve may be corroded and the whole thing may fall apart when you try. Not likely but....

David

Then do what boatdriver suggests above, but definitely have a proper size wooden plug available, particularly when you unscrew that elbow. The body of the valve may be corroded and the whole thing may fall apart when you try. Not likely but....

David

...and have a fist sized blob of bees wax or plumbers putty in case it just splits.

You can watch the stem while you move the handle. If the stem turns then the ball is probably turning. But not necessarily.

David

The stem definitely turns.

Crazy thing is the AC was working fine, then I went to the store and when I came back no water. That's led me think it's just clogged but I figured the shop vac would have unclogged it. Maybe not enough pressure.

I'm kind of scared to take that 90 off but I guess I'll try. I do have a wooden plug thing. ?

Update:

I can't get the stupid 90 off without beating on it and I'm scared to do that.

The more I mess with the ball valve it feels too loose to me, like it turns too easily. Some resistance but not much.

Stuck a wire through the 90 and it stops right at the valve so I guess it's stuck closed.

Stupid boat.

Every other through hull on this boat has real seacocks, except for this chickensh$t AC through hull and the generator TH. Its also pretty crappy looking.

So now what? Haul the boat and install real seacocks? Do the generator one while I'm at it? Do I have the skills for that?

Or, is there some hillbilly way to plug this through hull from the bottom and just screw on another crappy ball valve?

I'm frustrated and drinking a beer now...

Last edited:
The stem has a flat end like a screw driver that fits into a slot in the ball. That flat end has probably worn/corroded off so the ball isn't turning. So it looks like you have two problems, a buggered stem and some blockage under the valve like jelly fish.

I would first go through the boat and look for thru hull valves with similar problems, corrosion, etc. Make a list of those that need replacement and order replacements or real seacocks. Then haul the boat and have them all done, either in the sling or on jack stands if more than one or two need to be done.

I had a big 1-1/2" seacock fail and it was replaced while hanging on the Travelift sling. Took two guys about an hour to do it. The ball valve body threads were shot and it fell apart in my hands.

David

The stem has a flat end like a screw driver that fits into a slot in the ball. That flat end has probably worn/corroded off so the ball isn't turning. So it looks like you have two problems, a buggered stem and some blockage under the valve like jelly fish.

I would first go through the boat and look for thru hull valves with similar problems, corrosion, etc. Make a list of those that need replacement and order replacements or real seacocks. Then haul the boat and have them all done, either in the sling or on jack stands if more than one or two need to be done.

I had a big 1-1/2" seacock fail and it was replaced while hanging on the Travelift sling. Took two guys about an hour to do it. The ball valve body threads were shot and it fell apart in my hands.

David

Ok. Guess that's what I will do.

Now to find a couple of real seacocks...

crappy ball valve on the substandard through hull setup

Yeah, same here....Nice seacocks throughout the boat except that AC ball valve. Makes me nervous as I can see corrosion on it. Getting hauled at the end of the month and plan to replace. Hopcar sells all the good stuff and knows what we need!

I just emailed Parks. Lol.

So now what? Haul the boat and install real seacocks? Do the generator one while I'm at it? Do I have the skills for that?

If you are reaonably handy and have the tools then yes you can. Do a little reading/Googling so you know what is involved. As noted, Parks is a good source of the right stuff.

Ok. Guess that's what I will do.

Groco makes seacocks that incorporate a T so they can be used as crash valves. That's probably not a big deal coupled to an AC and a genset, but that side inlet makes it VERY easy to flush systems when necessary.

They make an adapter called a safety seacock -- similar in function, but it (usually) threads onto the top of a seacock or ball valve -- and it makes a decent alternative.

My main point, though, is that it might be worth installing one or the other kind of flushing mechanism while you're at it.

Up here, we usually have to winterize, and these are great for that, too. You probably don't have that problem... but obviously flushing your AC system is required from time to time... and your genset HX probably would benefit from periodic flushing, too.

Just a thought...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom