Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I love a product that does what it claims it will do

Itís not very often that I buy something and when I get it Iím VERY pleasantly surprised by how well it does what it is supposed to do, and advertised to do. Usually when a product sounds too good to be true, it turns out to be not what one would expect.

I recently saw a product described in a boating forum and, while it sounded too good to be true, I thought Iíd try it. That product is called Marine Strip, and itís for cleaning things like fenders and dock lines and other plastic things on and around your boat.

Nobody locally carried it so I called the company. They somewhat reluctantly agreed to send me two quarts and, while the shipping turned out to be expensive, it was worth it. Marine Strip cost just a bit under $18/quart as I recall and the cost of shipping was almost another $18 or so.

I had a chance to try it last weekend and was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I first tried it on a fender that was VERY dirty. It looks like new. I wish Iíd taken some ďbeforeĒ pictures because you really wouldnít believe how the fender looked.

Then I cleaned my power cords. I doubt they had ever been cleaned and were really dirty, but they came out looking great. I did take a photo of the end of my 50A/240V cord so you could see the before and after.

Hereís the ďafterĒ picture. Quite a difference. I think if I'd have used a scrub brush on the plug it would have gotten into the corners better than the towel.

Then I attacked another fender. This one wasnít nearly as dirty as the first one, but you can see the before and after photos and decide for yourself.

So there you have it. I used almost one quart to clean the two fenders and about 50í of each of the cords. I found that it MUST be used in a well ventilated area. I had the company that sells it send me an MSDS sheet on it and, while Iím not a chemist, I got enough out of the MSDS sheet to know that you donít want to be inhaling this or letting it soak up through your skin. I used a kitchen-type rubber glove when I used it. FYI, those thin, filmy gloves donít last more than a couple of minutes. I also found that this stuff works best when using a rough towel like a hand towel, not a smooth rag. And it works best if the rag is saturated in a small area and applied quickly to whatever youíre cleaning.

It takes very little rubbing to clean things if the rag is saturated. I spent just under 5 minutes cleaning the fender and about 5-6 minutes cleaning that last few feet of the power cable and connector.

All things considered Iím very happy with Marine Strip. If your local boating supply store doesnít carry it you might suggest it to them. If theyíre not interested you can get it by calling 205-581-0202. Ask for Sandra and tell her Mike said to call. Theyíre nice people to work with and will ship it out right away.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for the tip, Mike. But get ready for a onslaught of other opinions to tell you what works even better for nothing at all. I have used this stuff also, and even after years of using the cheaper hand cleaner (which also worked well), the Admiral saw that it did a better job and went further. If Amazon Prime can get it, I can save on the shipping, but as you know, its not cheap.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Yes that stuff works great. It's not cheap but it does work and it doesn't leave the cord/fender sticky.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

Have you compared it to mineral spirits? Taylor recommends mineral spirits and I found it (and some elbow grease) works better on their fenders than go-jo.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Works much better and faster than mineral spirits.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
I called the company direct and had them ship some out to me in Washington State. Gotta say it was very amazing how it cleaned our yellow shore power cord. Have not had time to do fenders yet, but they are the next target. Nice folks to deal with.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
When it first hit the market it was sold primarily as a varnish remover. It's a really a bad varnish remover but a really great vinyl cleaner. I've been selling it for years and have a lot of repeat customers. It doesn't seem to take the plasticizers out like acetone does but it cleans as well as acetone.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #8

City: Anacortes
I just want to know who had the idea to try drano in the first place?
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Have you compared it to mineral spirits? Taylor recommends mineral spirits and I found it (and some elbow grease) works better on their fenders than go-jo.
I switched to black fenders, best avoidance of make work projects I have found yet.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When it first hit the market it was sold primarily as a varnish remover. It's a really a bad varnish remover but a really great vinyl cleaner. I've been selling it for years and have a lot of repeat customers. It doesn't seem to take the plasticizers out like acetone does but it cleans as well as acetone.
Do you ship it? I didn't see any local supplier listed on the manufacturer's web site.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Tom, Yes I do ship. Fly Wright just pointed out to me that it is not on my website so send me a PM if you're interested.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I switched to black fenders, best avoidance of make work projects I have found yet.

I'm with you 100%, less labor is a good thing.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote