Hynautic H-21 rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCDSAIL

I just had Scania rebuild my upper helm steering pump. Now I find that one of the flare nuts is stripped as I was trying to bleed the unit. What a mess.
Now I need to cut the copper line and install a new flare nut.
Anyone know where i should look for a replacemnt flare nut?
is there a flare nut with a tee connection to make bleeding easier?

Do I use a standard single flare tool to make the bell?

Thanks, John

Use a tubing cutter to to cut the copper pipe and get the old flare nut off - cut as little as possible, slip on a nut and flare the cut end. That will likely leave you a tad short on pipe length. There is indeed a flare-Tee. One possibility is to use one at this point (plus a male to male joiner) to make up for the piece you cut off. The tee would, of course, need a valve or a cap on the open leg.

My source of flare components is our local supplier of air-conditioning parts.

Use the standard flaring tool available from just about everywhere - single flare for copper.

To get an idea of what flare fittings are available, take a look at Plumbing Supply.

Last edited:
Speaking as one with some experience in this area: flare nuts suck donkey balls. Do yourself a favour and replace the stripped one with a SwageLok fitting. It will run you about $15 at any good commercial supply house, it will last forever, it will never leak a drop, and it doesn't require a flare tool.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Back
Top Bottom