Hynautic engine control problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rthomas

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seabiscuit
Vessel Make
Mainship 43 aft cabin
I have dual 04 series controls. One of the sender arms will only move 1/4 of the way forward all of a sudden. The other is fine. Tank pressure is 80 psi. Any advice welcomed

I have dual 04 series controls. One of the sender arms will only move 1/4 of the way forward all of a sudden. The other is fine. Tank pressure is 80 psi. Any advice welcomed
[Mods - could you move this to an appropriate forum? I think it will get more replies in the right spot. Thanks]

I had this problem with my HyNautic engine controls just as I was docking my new boat for the first time. The throttle would not move out of idle. I hadn't ever docked the 80,000lb boat before and now I had to do it with no throttle control. Took me three attempts but I did it!

The problem had been caused when my first mate got a bit excited, thinking that we were going to hit something, and jammed the lever forward very quickly. It turns out that this dislodged a blob of gunk (technical term) inside the system that then lodged in one of the manifolds. Think of it like a heart attack or stroke. A clot gets dislodged and then ends up blocking a rather vital artery!

The solution was to clean out the whole system. My mechanic ended up taking the manifold off and cleaning it out in his shop. It turns out that the glycol mixture used as hydraulic fluid has a tendency to gum up over time, resulting in lumps that can clog the system. This is one of the reasons that many people don't like hydraulic engine controls. The solution is to flush them regularly as part of a maintenance schedule.

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but hopefully it's of some help.

Richard

I realize now that you said that only one of the sender arms is affected. In my case, with dual controls, both sender arms were jammed. That makes sense since my blockage was in a manifold and they are sync'd. You're problem may well be in just the sender arm that's stuck. It could still be the same root causer however.

Richard

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
We're you ever a Walmart Greeter? You must have the best track record for welcoming newcomers of anyone on TF! :angel:

So yes, welcome to the forum too!

Richard

Greetings,
Hahahaha....Well Mr. B there are some who may be a bit timid in joining or posting. Just want them to know I'm happy they're here. Besides, my momma always said make people feel welcome. Oh, here's your shopping cart...

giphy.gif

Greetings,
Hahahaha....Well Mr. B there are some who may be a bit timid in joining or posting. Just want them to know I'm happy they're here. Besides, my momma always said make people feel welcome. Oh, here's your shopping cart...

giphy.gif
And how is it I knew there'd be an animated gif to go along with your response? You're an institution Mr RTF. Don't change one iota!

Richard

My name and the word institution are common topics of conversation around here. Usually used in the same sentence....

Oops, the mods are asleep. This thread is in the wrong section.

Last edited:
We never sleep, we are just slooooow :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom