Old 06-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Hydraulic piston tie rod pin stuck

I had leak in a piston for my stabilizers. I jacked the pin out of the piston end and had the leak fixed. While trying to reassemble I can’t get the pin back in. It started but now I can’t get it in or back out. Before inserting I had the pin in the freezer overnight. I need some big time help on this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	77063
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
U can buy freeze mist in a can to hit the pin. And/or heat the clevis with a torch.

Is the casting aluminum? Al has about double the CTE of steel. So, the HOLE should expand double the pin expansion.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
What are the materials? Stainless steel? if so it may have galled which can tighten things right up. It looks like there is a threaded bore on the pin, you may be able to attach a slide hammer to that and tap it out. I'd but some lead or other heavy weight on the arm to help take the impact. Other than that you would need to remove the arm and take it to a press.

If you are trying for a shrink fit, heat the arm gently and evenly with a heat gun or torch, till it is a bit too hot to touch (that'll be 140 degrees or so). The pin fresh from the freezer or better still dry ice. Get everything ready because you have about 5 - 10 seconds to get it fully in place. Any delay or dawdling and you will get it half way in and find yourself in a pickle.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
All good advice plus I would use Never-seize on the pin when its time to insert it.

I was installing a cleat yesterday and used brand-new hardware, got one nut about 1/4 of the way onto the 5/16 bolt and it galled. Had to cut it off with a zipdisc. Never-seize is more than your friend, its essential.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Jack it back out and see if it galled. If so, clean it up and make another go at it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Maybe that pin has a very slight bend.
Maybe you need to heat the bore and jack the pin back out.
Check out everything, then slightly heat the bore and freeze the pin, plus use grease.

I had a hardened steel piston pin that got bent, was too tight until the piston got hot, if you heated the piston, it worked ok. But I replaced the pin and it slipped right in. These things can be a tight fit, but they are supposed to have an even tiny clearance all around, or some have an interference fit of .001 to .002 .
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
This kind of thing screams for a press to keep the parts parallel. But, I'd be optimistic on the thermal aided assembly with a copper hammer perhaps. For sure, this design is a 'press fit', with interference intended. I see no locking hardware (set screws, etc) in the design.
I would make every effort to support the bottom during the tapping. If the thermal difference is good, this should not take hammering, only tapping.
Be careful of the seals, when torching. Do this fairly quickly; can two folks get close, at once?
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. Find a socket or a piece of pipe that will fit over the pin and extend past the end of the pin. Put a bolt into that threaded hole in the top of the pin with appropriate washers/spacers and tighten the bolt. The pin should slip out. Follow the above advice to re-install. I fully agree that the pin should be put back in with the minimum of brute force. Copper, brass, lead or plastic hammer is a good suggestion.

IF you can find a gear puller with long enough arms to engage to bottom of the housing you may be able to gently press the pin back in with a minimum of heating.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Is the casting aluminum? Al has about double the CTE of steel. So, the HOLE should expand double the pin expansion.
This. Assuming it's aluminium, I'd hit it with an electric heat gun if possible (don't care for open flame in such an area), and jack it out using a threaded rod, nut, and length of pipe, so you're jacking against the lug. Then check the shaft for damage, and put a shine on it before trying again. The aluminium should expand at a greater rate, plus the interior of the pin won't even be warm, so it would effectively be an even greater rate than that as long as you move along. But even if you stuck it in an oven, it would still loosen.

I don't think it's an interference fit by design, or not very much if it is, as that extra hole looks like it's for a keeper.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Another possibility, the pin caught on the aluminum bore and the bore is galled.
It can be real hard to get galled pieces to seperate. Heating things really helps a lot.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
++ on the heat gun. Torch in a confined area? Errrmmmm.... pretty risky!! If you must, be sure to use a fireproof shield blanket. Really helps to keep the heat focused and off the surrounding material.

If you need to use thermal help, a dry ice bath works great. Dry ice in a rubbing alcohol bath will take parts down to -110F. Lots better than the freezer. Most marine freezers won't even hit zero. Oh, and don't use bare fingers to handle those parts!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
++ on the heat gun. Torch in a confined area? Errrmmmm.... pretty risky!! If you must, be sure to use a fireproof shield blanket. Really helps to keep the heat focused and off the surrounding material.

If you need to use thermal help, a dry ice bath works great. Dry ice in a rubbing alcohol bath will take parts down to -110F. Lots better than the freezer. Most marine freezers won't even hit zero. Oh, and don't use bare fingers to handle those parts!
Have at least one fire extinguisher close, if you are going to use a torch.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

City: Kiln,MS
Looking at the pic. The end of the pin is threaded. So find a piece of heavy wall pipe just bigger than the pin. You will want to make it just a little longer than the pin. Then find all-thread that fits the pin. Look for grade 7 or better. You will need to get a series of heavy washers large enough to cover the top of the pipe. You will also want to stack several grade 8 washers between the jacking nut and the large washers. Coat everything with molybdenum past. Put a good load on the jack bolt. If it doesn't budge use a couple heat guns to heat it while putting more load on it. If it doesn't budge then you will have to get aggressive and cut it out.

Edit just saw t&j post saying the same basic thing.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
Guru

Well, I was able to jack it out without heat. You can see the slight groove, plus one on the other side. The pin is .75 Dia x 2.40” length. (Don’t know how accurate that’s is as I’m using a Harbor Freight plastic digital caliper) How do I clean this up? The casting is steel and holds the fin on so I can’t take it off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	77095
KK-42097
Old 06-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
On the stabilzers that pin is normally push fit and held in by a keeper plate. I would get a 1/2" fine threaded set screw (screwed all the way down as opposed to a bolt), screwed into a tube nut. Place inside with tube up to the bottom of the pin, then unscrew the bolt pushing the tube and pin up and out. I would not start aggresivly hitting the machined steel casting, they can crack.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Guru

a bit of emery cloth and a fine file to start.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #17

City: Kiln,MS
Take it to a machine shop and have it polished. If the bore needs to be cleaned up. You can get a wheel cylinder hone. And do it that way but it will remove some material. So you would need to be very careful not to over do it.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. Yup, looks like a few burrs there. I have no idea of your mechanical skills but I would most probably try to remove the burrs with fine files both on the pin and in the hole. VERY gently and VERY slowly with a lot of fit checking, aided by a light coat of oil, along the way. I think the pins should simply push into place with little to no force. Never-seize as suggested for the final assembly.

Edit: Aw snap. Slow typing BUT great minds and all that...
Old 06-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
Guru

HI RT
I am an engineer so no problem for me, sorry I sometimes believe all boat owners have the required skills after years of boat owning and tribulations.!!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
Guru

When you say push fit do you mean by hand? The guy who installed it said I needed to use a wood block and hammer. I hope that’s not the case. Do I need to have the front end chamfered as a guide to the heim fitting?
KK-42097