Hydraulic helm pump - wheel hub taper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailtones

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nostra Signora
Vessel Make
Marine Trader CHB 34DC
So it seems that my 30+ year old helm pump on the flybridge has decided to pack it in.
It is an old teleflex pump that can not be dismantled for repairs, so it looks like I am up for a new one.
I see on the new pumps, they all have a standard 3/4" taper for the wheel hub. However, my current pump, and wheel, have a 3/4 to 1" taper.
Am I missing something here or is a standard 3/4" taper actually what I have and I am looking at an optical illusion?
Or is what I have an old style taper and I will therefore need to purchase a new wheel as well?

Anyone encountered this before?

Here are a couple of photos. (sorry for the metric ruler, but I don't deal in inches normally)

(I have not purchased the pump yet, just a photo from the seller)

Attachments

• 708863444_o.jpg
    708863444_o.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20131202_164733.jpg
    20131202_164733.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20131202_164752.jpg
    20131202_164752.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Would you be interested in a new Vetus Mahogany wheel with a hand sewn Elkhide wrap ? Think its 24 inches.

Would you be interested in a new Vetus Mahogany wheel with a hand sewn Elkhide wrap ? Think its 24 inches.

It is an idea to replace the wheel, as I am not looking forwards to re-varnishing the old one.
But I think the cost of shipping your wheel to Montenegro would be a little prohibitive.

Thanks though.

But I think the cost of shipping your wheel to Montenegro would be a little prohibitive.

Going to Croatia this summer , but the airline folks might wonder about a wheel in the luggage!

Going to Croatia this summer , but the airline folks might wonder about a wheel in the luggage!

Indeed they might.

If you need any tips on Croatia, I have been over here for a few years now, so feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom