Hurricane Heater - Insulated Exhaust Sleeve: Sourcing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
The exhaust on our Hurricane Hydronic Heater has an insulating sleeve around it from the heater to the exhaust port.

Recently, this sleeve became soiled with diesel (wicked up from the boiler/tank insulation) due to a failed start sequence that allowed fuel to be pumped into the burner chamber.

The heater has been repaired (new control board and injector nozzle) but I had to remove the sleeve as it smokes off diesel when the heater exhaust gets up to temp.

I’d like to replace it but can’t seem to source it. The exhaust is 2” OD flexible pipe and the old sleeve is 2.5” ID in what looks like fiberglass. The sleeve is basically a 5’ long fabric tube sock.

ITR doesn’t specify the installation of this sleeve or any other exhaust insulation so I suspect the PO added it because the exhaust goes from the ER through the floor under he dinette to exit the port hull.

I’m finding plenty of ‘header wrap’ options but would prefer to replace like to like. Any ideas on sourcing something similar?

(Pic is from a cut off section of said sleeve)

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0829.jpg

Airstream, try Ballard insulation

I'd also call Webasto and Espar dealers. The sleeves should be pretty generic for hydronic exhausts. I have a wrap on my Espar and it seems to do the job fine.

Call up Hurricane and ask where in Seattle area you can get it. I got new wrap direct from H a year ago. Easy for us to do as boat in Canada. The Rv places in Bellinham area install Hurricanes in motor homes.

Rubber and gasket house usually carry it. Hydraulic hose shop might have some. Macmaster Carr has it but it’s in a 25 ft roll. I used the 2” wide woven fiberglass wrap on my generator exhaust. The black header wrap is nasty to work with.

Sure Marine in Ballard has it...cut to length needed.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, go to a hotrod shop or cycle shop and buy some header wrap. It is sure to be cheaper than anything with "marine" in its name......

Particulate mask, good gloves and sealed goggles. Vacuum up the area afterwards with a good strong vac with a good filter. Ask me how I know?

Great advice all, thank you!

The collective knowledge of this community never ceases to amaze.

I have a whole roll of wrap for the hurricane exhaust but im in Victoria BC.

When I wrapped my exhaust with header tape, I soaked it in water before I wrapped the exhaust to stop the dust from getting all over.

I don't know how hot the hurricane exhaust gets, but I think it's really important to have that pipe run well insulated, especially if it runs through cabinetry.

The best insulation I think would be dry exhaust blankets, made to fit. That's what we have on our Olympia boiler. Ballard Insulation or Western Insulation (across the canal past SeaMar) can make them for you and they will likely last the life of the boat. SureMarine is a good suggestion too, but I haven't seen the sock material mentioned above. They also have blankets which I think are made by Western Insulation, but not certain.

Comodave, great idea, thanks.

I don't know how hot the hurricane exhaust gets, but I think it's really important to have that pipe run well insulated, especially if it runs through cabinetry.

The best insulation I think would be dry exhaust blankets, made to fit. That's what we have on our Olympia boiler. Ballard Insulation or Western Insulation (across the canal past SeaMar) can make them for you and they will likely last the life of the boat. SureMarine is a good suggestion too, but I haven't seen the sock material mentioned above. They also have blankets which I think are made by Western Insulation, but not certain.

Good points TT.

Our original Hurricane insulation worked very well until some minor unrelated nearby maintenance was performed. The approximate 1/2" insulation gap allowed enough heat release to scorch wood approximately 4"" away.

For a 10 year annual service the heater and piping was removed and inspected. Heat related stress was evident in the piping and through hull outlet.In the past decade Huricane had dramatically improved their piping specs and wraps. Something to consider.

In this case, I wholeheartedly recommend OEM. Safety first for a furnace where each install is unique in my thinking.

Last edited:
Again, a big thanks to all. Sure Marine in Ballard had what I needed along with some great advice (especially welcome given they aren’t even a Hurricane dealer).

We’ll be able to get our heater back in business, safely, this weekend.

+1 for Sure Marine. Very knowledgeable in many systems. I recently bought a galley stove and hot water heater from them. Great guys to work with.:thumb:

It’s a bit of a candy store in there. Under counter drawer fridges and a Newport heater wanted to come home with me.

Project complete. Phew that was no fun but it's working well again. I still need to bleed more air out of the coolant lines tomorrow but we have heat again.

For those following along at time the exhaust hits 400 degrees at the furnace, down to about 250 at the hull outlet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom